Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Meter and test every show

<< < (2/6) > >>

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on October 14, 2013, 11:43:52 AM ---This needs a strong "don't try this yourself' disclaimer.

I have done this myself and it kind of works, but on a public forum how can we be sure that the users will remember to only use voltage measurement ranges that should safely limit current to modest levels. There are too many ways to use a VOM that are not current limited to low mA levels. 

So do not do this,,,

Frank knows his way around test equipment and electricity, but another data point from last time I did some research into who actually gets electrocuted. A disproportionate number of deaths are engineers. technicians, and electrical professionals who should know better. Sometimes we get a little blasť about the risks.

JR

--- End quote ---

Yup... DO NOT DO THIS!!! It's way too dangerous and an unnecessary risk.

We "professionals" do get too casual around live voltage. When I was a young electrical engineer working for a major glass manufacturer, there was an EE in another plant (basically doing the same job as me) who was discussing a problem with management about how an electrician had received a shock from a live 11,000 volt panel because he hadn't tested his gloves properly. The electrician lived, but the engineer didn't because as part of his demonstration to the plant manager he poked the live 11,000 volt bus with a pencil. Of course, graphite is conductive and it killed the engineer on the spot. I got really serious about live electrical panels after that incident.

That's also why I don't let anybody talk to me or distract me in any way when I'm working in a live panel out of necessity. I hate doing that, but sometimes it's the only way to get the job done. However, I then take extra safety precautions including having somebody with a cell phone close by who can call 911 and start CPR if something goes wrong. And I always use my PPE (Personal Protection Equipment). Safety glasses have saved my eyesight on more than one occasion.

There are OLD electricians and BOLD electricians, but very few OLD and BOLD electricians.

Tim McCulloch:
Mike, how about a little detour (new topic) on arc flash and PPE?

Frank Koenig:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on October 14, 2013, 11:43:52 AM ---A disproportionate number of deaths are engineers. technicians, and electrical professionals who should know better.
--- End quote ---

Wise words. I wasn't trying to cause trouble, just generate a little discussion and thinking. And I'm going to get  one of those NCVTs for my kit. -F

Jamin Lynch:

--- Quote from: Kemper Watson on October 13, 2013, 11:50:46 AM ---Provided for a show yesterday in North Atlanta.. Stage and generator are provided by the same guy every year and I noticed he had brand new spider boxes and cabling. Just out of curiosity I metered the outlets. All was fine. Then I plugged in the polarity checker. There was a hot-neutral swap somewhere. He took apart the BRAND NEW California connectors and found not only a miswired connector but a messy job as well. He spent an hour taking apart and reconnecting his cables.. Meter and check every show..

--- End quote ---

HHMMM? Did a licensed electrician change out the wiring or just the guy who brought out the generator? You're gonna burn the place down.

Kemper Watson:

--- Quote from: Jamin Lynch on October 14, 2013, 03:51:42 PM ---HHMMM? Did a licensed electrician change out the wiring or just the guy who brought out the generator? You're gonna burn the place down.

--- End quote ---

It was the owner of the generator, not "some guy that brought the genny" He went through all the BRAND NEW cables he bought and straightened  the problem out.

Edit: He bought the cables from a new distributor somewhere on line. I had never had a problem with his distro's ever, in 6-7 years of working with him..Stand up guy. He will never NOT check brand new cables again..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version