Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Meter and test every show

<< < (6/6)

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Frank Koenig on October 15, 2013, 08:20:12 PM ---And if we're requesting topics, how about a discussion of the interrupting current rating of circuit breakers? 10 kA and 22 kA are common ratings for small beakers. When is it OK to use one or the other, or neither?
-F

--- End quote ---

How about I create a sticky topic just for suggested new threads? That way if someone  watching the forum sees something in the suggested topic area they want to elaborate on, they can start the new thread and we can run with it. And no, JR can't start a thread about "better idiots" as much as that would be relevant. Or is that a good idea? 

Jared Bartimus:

--- Quote from: brian maddox on October 15, 2013, 04:29:42 PM ---Everybody that has been doing this for any length of time has encountered something truly stupid regarding power.  The worst i ever experienced was 60V between neutral and ground on an outdoor tie-in with feeder that disappeared into the distance and went who knows where.  Took me over an hour to get the 'house electrician' to track down the issue and fix it.

--- End quote ---

It has been a while since I researched it but I believe that is either due to unbonded neutral/ground or completely disconnected ground somewhere upstream combined with some devices leaking 60V to ground.  Definitely don't mess with the panels yourself (although it might be worth it to walk along your feeder cable and make sure nothing is messed up) but it might save a little time to mention the possibility to some of the less competent electricians out there.

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on October 15, 2013, 06:50:06 PM ---  I used to design products for peavey customers.  :o

I believe there is a natural law, that no matter what you do to idiot-proof a design or procedure, the idiots will adapt and evolve to overcome said prophylaxis.

JR

--- End quote ---

So it's an evolutionary thing, like cockroaches getting resistant to DDT? I suspected as much...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version