ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grounding to the neutral bar?  (Read 30056 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Grounding to the neutral bar?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2013, 11:43:24 AM »

You go to the artist and say "The promoter wants me to use inadequate and potentially unsafe electrical service.  As the promoter is my client I will do whatever he wants me to do in whatever manner is possible.  I'm telling you this as a courtesy and to give you an opportunity to get the promoter do this in a safe manner."

If anything bad happens, you're already on the hook for knowing better but not insisting on a dangerous situation being corrected, so you might as well tell the band you don't mind subjecting them to electrocution because the promoter is a cheap-skate asshole that doesn't give a damn about the safety of the band, your crew/system, and potentially the safety of the public as well.  These fuckers should be taken out and shot.

Nope, everything was safe.

My point is that I wasted over 2 hours of driving time going out to the location. I should have just showed up the day of the show and dealt with whatever they give me.

I'm asking, "what would you do?"
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 11:49:23 AM by Jamin Lynch »

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2013, 11:57:55 AM »

Nope, everything was safe.

My point is that I wasted over 2 hours of driving time going out to the location. I should have just showed up the day of the show and dealt with whatever they give me.

I'm asking, "what would you do?"

Well, we carry distros, feeder, and a tool box.  If shit is dodgy we go to the artist's representative.  OUR side of things is up to Code and always will be.

We advance every show with artist TD/PM/FOH/Squint, and then get with the promoter and/or venue if we've never been there before.  If it's at all possible, we physically visit the venue.  If it's an empty field, we'll probably skip the site visit (but we've been bit by steep terrain that wasn't obvious in pictures sent by the client).

Ultimately we do what we can to have safe setups that minimize the risks for everyone involved.  Sometimes that costs us time & money and sometimes that saves our ass.  You decide what is best for your firm.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2013, 12:06:24 PM »

Well, we carry distros, feeder, and a tool box.  If shit is dodgy we go to the artist's representative.  OUR side of things is up to Code and always will be.

We advance every show with artist TD/PM/FOH/Squint, and then get with the promoter and/or venue if we've never been there before.  If it's at all possible, we physically visit the venue.  If it's an empty field, we'll probably skip the site visit (but we've been bit by steep terrain that wasn't obvious in pictures sent by the client).

Ultimately we do what we can to have safe setups that minimize the risks for everyone involved.  Sometimes that costs us time & money and sometimes that saves our ass.  You decide what is best for your firm.

It's pretty rare that I ever need a distro, especially for smaller shows. So I don't carry one with me all the time...maybe I should. But when I drive out there twice and assured everything will be in place, I ASSume it will be done.

I could have done the old "it's not my problem thing" or the "git' r done" thing. I chose git'r done. We drove back into town, picked up a cable (with California plugs) and a spider box drove back out and went on as scheduled.

I took the advice of all those who jumped my shit a while back...didn''t work out so good. So I'll just continue with what I've been doing for the past 30+ years.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 12:17:56 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »

It's pretty rare that I ever need a distro, especially for smaller shows. So I don't carry one with me all the time...maybe I should. But when I drive out there twice and assured everything will be in place, I ASSume it will be done.

I could have done the old "it's not my problem thing" or the "git' r done" thing. I chose git'r done. We drove back into town, picked up a cable (with California plugs) and a spider box drove back out and went on as scheduled.

I took the advice of all those who jumped my shit a while back...didn''t work out so good. So I'll just continue with what I've been doing for the past 30+ years.

Actually, it seems to have worked out quite well.

Since I always ask for a 50a 240v connector for my A rig, I carry my distro, feeder, and a Cali to range plug adapter. Doesn't matter to me if I get a hard wired connection or a generator. I can hook to either?

Just curious, what power did you ask for, and what did the promoter agree to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2013, 01:26:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 22 queries.