ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Projection Screen Winch?  (Read 4773 times)

Jeff Breen

Projection Screen Winch?
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:21:40 AM »

Hello,
I am involved in the programming stage of renovating a closed church to re-purpose it as an auditorium/lecture hall. I am trying to find an engineered product that will allow an electric projection screen case to be concealed behind an arch around 30' high and drop the entire case down to a usable height for viewing.

Preferably I'd like a packaged product, UL listed so I can provide cut sheets etc. to the architect and GC. All I've come across so far is a system made by screenite, who seem to be an Italian company. Not sure if they distribute in the US or if their product would be a match for my application.

Thanks!

Jordan Wolf

Re: Projection Screen Winch?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 10:19:06 AM »

Jeff,

Have you thought about using a cyclorama or scrim type material kept under some tension?  I know it doesn't address the mechanical challenge(s), but it might make it more affordable and repeatable.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Scott Hofmann

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »

Check out the viaWinch and viaLift from iWeiss and similar units from JR Clancy. Probably could be factory-built for a screen and not lighting fixtures as shown. A phone call or email to either should get you more detailed solutions to your need. Both are long-time theatrical rigging manufacturers. Any good theatrical rigging installer like SECOA or Sapsis can probably suggest multiple solutions too. In any case, it won't be cheap. Just Google "theatrical rigging".
http://www.iweiss.com/automation-products/
http://jrclancy.com/automatedrigging.asp

If the screen does not have to move during the event, a manual worm-gear winch might work.
Scott Hofmann

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 02:07:55 PM »

Electronic Theater Controls also has a winch product. I happen to think it is better than many things on the market, but ymmv. I like that as long as the vertical load can be supported, it has its own horizontal stabilization built in.

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 11:00:09 PM »

Hello,
I am involved in the programming stage of renovating a closed church to re-purpose it as an auditorium/lecture hall. I am trying to find an engineered product that will allow an electric projection screen case to be concealed behind an arch around 30' high and drop the entire case down to a usable height for viewing.

Preferably I'd like a packaged product, UL listed so I can provide cut sheets etc. to the architect and GC. All I've come across so far is a system made by screenite, who seem to be an Italian company. Not sure if they distribute in the US or if their product would be a match for my application.

Thanks!
If I were you I would substitute my own Fabric in one of these:  http://www.motorizedsolution.com/products/motorized-window-treatments?gclid=CKKZtqSqlboCFVNo7AodFzQA4w

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA

Jeff Breen

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

Do you mean something like http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/commercial/products/special_applications/cable_climber/cable_climber_commercial.html?

Looks pretty close to what I had in mind. I wasn't thinking recessed case because the ceiling is arched. The idea is hide it all behind the arch. However, this is all made much more complicated by the fact the screen case won't fit within the constraints anyway without extensive work to the ceiling. We have not explored the feasibility of that yet but the Stewart product looks like something the builder could plan around.

Thanks a lot!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 11:57:00 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 25 queries.