ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: upgrading subs  (Read 3671 times)

John Luty

upgrading subs
« on: October 07, 2013, 09:17:12 AM »

right now  I have a set of Peavey pv118 powerd by a QSC GX5. I am thinking of upgrading to Mackie srm 1801 would that really be that much of an upgrade ?  It is mostly going to be used for a hard rock bar band 50 to 100 people in attendance at any given bar  (5 finger death punch ,Disturbed, Kiss etc....) What I THINK I really want is a QSC KW118 but the price is a little more than I can do right now Any suggestions ?

Spenser Hamilton

Re: upgrading subs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 09:25:30 AM »

right now  I have a set of Peavey pv118 powerd by a QSC GX5. I am thinking of upgrading to Mackie srm 1801 would that really be that much of an upgrade ?  It is mostly going to be used for a hard rock bar band 50 to 100 people in attendance at any given bar  (5 finger death punch ,Disturbed, Kiss etc....) What I THINK I really want is a QSC KW118 but the price is a little more than I can do right now Any suggestions ?

If the Peavey's are getting the job done, hold on to them until you can afford the subs you really want.

Incremental upgrades get expensive really quick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 11:09:12 AM »

right now  I have a set of Peavey pv118 powerd by a QSC GX5. I am thinking of upgrading to Mackie srm 1801

What exactly do you want to achieve with this upgrade? Going to a powered box you will get a more streamlined setup.. especially if you already have powered tops, and more output though in this case I don't think you will get any more lowend extension, these Mackies are about as small as it gets for an 18" sub so they don't go that low, but they do get loud and are really easy to move(I own a set) so they have their uses.

Rick Powell

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 10:26:58 PM »

If you can handle 130+ lbs, the Yorkville LS808 (unpowered version of the LS801p at about $750) would have brute force, powered by that GX5.  Now if you wanted a more musical sounding sub, you will be mostly moving sideways until you get into the KW118 or JBL 618s-XLS territory. :)

John Luty

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 04:26:57 PM »

That was pretty much my thinking ,that the Mackies would be a sideways move ,thanks for helping me make up my mind

Steve Garris

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »

That was pretty much my thinking ,that the Mackies would be a sideways move ,thanks for helping me make up my mind

Agreed - And I've read of many failures with the Mackie.

The JBL PRX 700 series is just now coming to market. I went into my local guitar center, and after seeing boxes of PRX7xx stacked everywhere, I asked about discounts on the 600 series. I wanted (2) of the powered 18's, the XLF model, and sure enough, they were marked down to $899 ea. These are in the same league as the KW 18's. I picked them up and couldn't be happier. Wish I could afford to get 2 more.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:56:59 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 22 queries.