ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Unlocking 50/100mW TX power in PSM 1000  (Read 13457 times)

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
Unlocking 50/100mW TX power in PSM 1000
« on: October 04, 2013, 05:38:06 AM »

Anyone know how to do this?
I have a paper from Shure AE on how to do it on the PSM900, but it seems the PSM 1000 is different.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
Re: Unlocking 50/100mW TX power in PSM 1000
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 06:17:43 AM »

I have a paper from Shure AE on how to do it on the PSM900, but it seems the PSM 1000 is different.

Contact Shure. 
I am not sure how they deal with you needing to be a licensed wireless user in order to operate above 50mw.  They may just leave that up to you or they may only give the info out to people who can provide a license number.  Call the manufacturer to find out.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 07:16:15 AM »

Contact Shure. 
I am not sure how they deal with you needing to be a licensed wireless user in order to operate above 50mw.  They may just leave that up to you or they may only give the info out to people who can provide a license number.  Call the manufacturer to find out.

Lee
I need the xtra oomph to overcome long cable lenghts to the antenna, besides Shure would probably not know what to do with a danish license ;-)

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 11:47:36 AM »

I need the xtra oomph to overcome long cable lenghts to the antenna, besides Shure would probably not know what to do with a danish license ;-)

Oops,
I (poorly) made the assumption that you were in the US.  The better way to overcome long cable runs is to add RF amps and create the proper gain staging through your antenna distro system.  Boosting the tx output gain can create other issues for you if you are using multiple wireless.
It increases power draw so shortens battery life and can increase IMD issues.  You generally want to use the lowest possible radiated output power.  Apologies if you are aware of these things already.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:58:12 AM »

Oops,
I (poorly) made the assumption that you were in the US.  The better way to overcome long cable runs is to add RF amps and create the proper gain staging through your antenna distro system.  Boosting the tx output gain can create other issues for you if you are using multiple wireless.
It increases power draw so shortens battery life and can increase IMD issues.  You generally want to use the lowest possible radiated output power.  Apologies if you are aware of these things already.

Lee

Lee,

Jens is talking about IEM systems.

The expensive answer, if you have multiple transmitters is a transmitter combiner like the PWS GX4/GX8, or the RadioActive Designs TX8. This lets you have up to 8 transmitters on a single antenna, with higher power than is normally available on the transmitter itself. Availability and/or legality in Europe may take this off the table.

Mac

Cameron Stuckey

• New York City
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »

Jens, the power output for the PSM1000 is limited by region. I'm not familiar with wireless restrictions of Denmark(or what Shure region Denmark lies within), but the purchasing country of origin will dictate the power output levels.

Like Mac said, there are a few third party options available.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:01:44 PM by Cameron Stuckey »

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »

The PSM 900 ships to US customers with the ability for 100mW transmission, yet I thought 50mW was the limit for the US. It's just a menu setting on the 900.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »

. . .  I thought 50mW was the limit for the US.

Only for unlicensed users in the UHF band and for everyone in the VHF bands. Part 74 licensed users are permitted 250mW in the UHF band.
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Jens Palm Bacher

• Lydfabrikken
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »

Only for unlicensed users in the UHF band and for everyone in the VHF bands. Part 74 licensed users are permitted 250mW in the UHF band.
You must know the trick with the Shure Henry. :-X
Besides the danish regulations are actually stated as 50 mW effective radiated power, so to comply you need to factor in cable loss and antenna gain (and you can substract 3db if using circular polarization)

I did a TV show this evening where half the transmitters could do 100mW and the other half culd do 50. All of them PSM 1000 G10e
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 07:03:09 PM by Jens Palm Bacher »

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »

Lee,

Jens is talking about IEM systems.

The expensive answer, if you have multiple transmitters is a transmitter combiner like the PWS GX4/GX8, or the RadioActive Designs TX8. This lets you have up to 8 transmitters on a single antenna, with higher power than is normally available on the transmitter itself. Availability and/or legality in Europe may take this off the table.

Mac

My bad again, getting in a hurry and not re-reading.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 11:02:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.