ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: XLR cable OK very short runs??  (Read 10794 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
XLR cable OK very short runs??
« on: October 02, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »

Trying to save set up and tear down time.
I have 2 stands for my 8 slimpars - 4 each bar. I connect my 4 slimpars on each stand to each other (same stand) with short (2-3ft) DMX cables. I do the same with short mains cords too. I keep the fixtures attached to the T bar and simply attach the T bars to the stands each gig. That way I can transport each bar in guitar cases - saves time connecting to bar each gig.
However, I have been connecting and disconnecting the DMX cables and mains cords each gig because the bars do not fit in the cases with them attached. I want keep them connected though to save even more time.
If I use angled XLRs and angled IECs the bars would fit the cases with cables still attached. However, I don't want to have to make the short patch cables (again) but the only ones I can find already made are XLR audio cables at the length I want ( 2-3 feet) and with angled connectors.
1) Would they be OK in the DMX run at these very short lengths?
2) Does anyone know where I could very short mains cords with angled IEC connectors???

Thanks all....
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: XLR cable OK very short runs??
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 10:23:13 PM »

If you used Neutric XLRs, you can perhaps replace the shell with a right angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 01:17:10 AM »

I doubt very seriously that you will have any issues whatsoever with the audio cables.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 08:53:04 AM »

If you used Neutric XLRs, you can perhaps replace the shell with a right angle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Rob... not Neutrik I'm afraid this time. All my audio connectors are but not my DMX  - Will replace slowly though. I might get Neutrik 90 degree connectors and solder them myself but I was trying to save some time for now.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 08:54:41 AM »

I doubt very seriously that you will have any issues whatsoever with the audio cables.

That is what I thought. I'll probably just get them and try them out. They'll either work or they won't...
Thanks for the response.

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 10:17:01 PM »

FWIW I regularly run a pair of light trees on 50ft of mic cable and have run DMX down a 150ft snake with another 50ft of mic cable on the other end.. all with no problems.

Rob Gow

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »

I'm in the middle of nowhere, so at the time, I sacrificed a 50' XLR or 2 to make all my short run lighting cables. I haven't had any issues yet. I've since bought a couple 50' proper DMX cables that I will turn into short run cables one of these days, when I get the time.

One of these days.

;)

Shawn Keck

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 06:06:31 PM »

It is a impedance issue between true DMX and XLR audio cable, it will probably work "most" of the time...it also follows under the 90/10 rule...it technically requires a different impedance cable but XLR cable will work as DMX cable 90% of the time. It will only become an issue over distance or devices that need a lot of information.

Now with that said, I run my DMX LED pars on XLR 90% of the time and haven't ever had a problem. When we move to the intelligent lighting world, it is strictly DMX.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 10:50:06 AM »

Trying to save set up and tear down time.
I have 2 stands for my 8 slimpars - 4 each bar. I connect my 4 slimpars on each stand to each other (same stand) with short (2-3ft) DMX cables. I do the same with short mains cords too. I keep the fixtures attached to the T bar and simply attach the T bars to the stands each gig. That way I can transport each bar in guitar cases - saves time connecting to bar each gig.
However, I have been connecting and disconnecting the DMX cables and mains cords each gig because the bars do not fit in the cases with them attached. I want keep them connected though to save even more time.
If I use angled XLRs and angled IECs the bars would fit the cases with cables still attached. However, I don't want to have to make the short patch cables (again) but the only ones I can find already made are XLR audio cables at the length I want ( 2-3 feet) and with angled connectors.
1) Would they be OK in the DMX run at these very short lengths?
2) Does anyone know where I could very short mains cords with angled IEC connectors???

Thanks all....

http://www.hosatech.com/product/68509/PWC-143R/_/Power_Cord%2C_Right-angle_IEC_C13_to_NEMA_5-15P%2C_3_ft

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

Well, I ordered the xlr (non DMX) cables and I'll give it a go. I'll keep my short DMX patch cables with me so if I have any issues I can switch them out.
Jamin, thank you for the link. I was hoping to find an iec cable with both the iec end and the NEMA end angled otherwise  I still have to unplug the NEMA end to make the lights fit into the case. In the absence of one like that, I'll get one like the one you posted the link to and unplug just one end of each cord. Not a big deal.
Thank you for all your responses.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 10:47:46 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.