ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Front Fill Delay  (Read 11709 times)

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
Re: Front Fill Delay
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 07:58:09 am »

Sometimes I ask where artist guests are sitting and align everything to those seats.  If it's only going to be right for one spot, might as well make it the spot where the "bosses wife" will sit.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Timo Beckman

• Rational Acoustics/Isemcon/Fulcrum Acoustic NL
    • Timo Beckman Geluid
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 11:30:45 am »

For me it means finding the ofax of your main system towards the stage (so where the mains loose about -6db in the high frequencies) . Then find the -6db point of your infill system and get that point to match with the main -6db point in the high frequencies . Phase align the whole thing at that point and you'll get a smooth transition between the mains and infill system .

Constant directivity on both systems is a "must" or at least desired when doing this .

Aaron Johnson

• Johnson AV Engineering
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 03:34:25 pm »

This is NOT a good idea-because if the mains were getting to the front row there would be no need for a fill----------

I would still use fills for imaging.  In fact, I prefer to try to cover as much of the front rows as possible with the mains/DF.  lip fills for anchoring the image to the stage front. 
Aaron

Johnson AV Engineering

Matthew Knischewsky

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 04:22:43 pm »

I would still use fills for imaging.  In fact, I prefer to try to cover as much of the front rows as possible with the mains/DF.  lip fills for anchoring the image to the stage front.

I'll have to disagree...the main reasons to use fills is to expand the coverage of the main system in locations where it's not practical for one system to cover the entire space (for any number of reasons) and, in the case of front fills, to reduce the amount of energy being directed towards the stage. In other words you can put sound where you want it (within reason of course) and one of the side effects is the imaging toward the stage in the front improves, but at the expense of other areas where interactions makes it worse.

Hopefully if you have enough resources you can pick loudspeakers that suit the shape of the space appropriately and put audience right in the sweet spot...but since venues like to cover their operating costs and humans generally think the best seats are right up front (or in box seats) you're going to need fills. This is especially true if you're doing portable reinforcement where the inventory of speakers to choose from is limited. From a production company standpoint it's best to pick main PA systems that cover the majority of venues you do and add fills where necessary.

Chris Johnson [UK]

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 03:17:35 pm »

I'll have to disagree...the main reasons to use fills is to expand the coverage of the main system in locations where it's not practical for one system to cover the entire space (for any number of reasons)

This isn't always the case. Particularly in theatres where imaging is very important.

Even in arenas, I always try and get the PA to cover the front rows if possible, but also use front fills, for two main reasons:
1) Imaging. Sometimes the bottom box of your main hang might be 10m off the ground. In that situation, you wan't to pull the image down, to make it fit in better with the visual, but also to gel it better with the off stage volume.
2) If you have subs stacked at the front of the stage, you often need something to lift the HF at the extreme front of the audience where the sub level builds up
Riedel Communications

Palmer Johnston

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »

Sometimes I ask where artist guests are sitting and align everything to those seats.  If it's only going to be right for one spot, might as well make it the spot where the "bosses wife" will sit.

This is how I delay on corporate shows as well.  Ask where the CEO/President, etc will be seated, and dial it in for that spot, worker bees be damned!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:48:34 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 23 queries.