ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade tops in small club - Suggestions  (Read 12791 times)

Susan Celia

Upgrade tops in small club - Suggestions
« on: September 28, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »

Hey guys,

Looking to upgrade tops in a small club in Boston.
We have a smaller sized room.  Approx 50' x 20'.  All dance space with a stage in the back.
We've currently have 4 QSC K10's which aren't doing the job.  They've been installed before I got there about 4 years ago. I've had to replace 2 and one just developed a cabinet rattle last week.  I had a sit down with the owner and we decided to upgrade.  Ditch the powered for passive.
4 in each corner that are powerful enough to fill the room up with nice clear sound.

We also have 2 Earthquakes being powered by a Crown 4002 amp.

We have another QSC amp, 2450 sitting in the rack not doing anything so ideally I'd like to hook that up to 1 or 2 of the new tops.  I realize it's not very powerful so if it can't be used then it can't be used.

We have a sound guy coming in to install it all but I'd really like to research this on my own to make sure we are getting the best we can get for the space sound wise.

Of course price range is always an issue.  So with that in mind, I narrowed it down to the Yorkville NX600's.

If anyone would like to chime in on their opinions, approvals, disapprovals, and suggestions it would be VERY helpful for me.

Thanks!!
Susan

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Upgrade tops in small club - Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 02:53:00 PM »

What do you mean by "4 in each corner"?  Do you mean one in each of the four corners, two in each of two corners or 16 total as implied by 4 in each corner?
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Susan Celia

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 03:00:27 PM »

What do you mean by "4 in each corner"?  Do you mean one in each of the four corners, two in each of two corners or 16 total as implied by 4 in each corner?

I'm sorry about that.  I meant one in each corner.  Total 4.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »

I'm sorry about that.  I meant one in each corner.  Total 4.

So....

DJ's, live music or a bit of both?  I'm assuming mostly DJ's given that speaker deployment.

Susan Celia

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

So....

DJ's, live music or a bit of both?  I'm assuming mostly DJ's given that speaker deployment.

Mostly DJ's but we do have some shows on rare occasions.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 03:48:00 PM »

In that deployment configuration your speakers are fighting each other with the worst of it in the middle of the room.  Try turning the rear two speakers off, and see if it gets any better.  Make physics your friend.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 03:49:15 PM »

Of course price range is always an issue.  So with that in mind, I narrowed it down to the Yorkville NX600's.

So how did you "narrow it down" to just one product.  I assume that product meets the budget-but does it meet the needs of the job?

How was the "budget" determined?  A number pulled from the air and then looking for products to fit it?  Or was the performance determined and then looking for a product and a budget for that product?

Did you determine the SPL and freq response and coverage needs?  If so-how was that done?

What if you  could spend a little bit more and get a lot more speaker?  Is that option open?

If you get something more powerful-you are less likely to have issues-than with products that are pushed to the limits.

I don't have any suggestions-just wanting to make sure you have properly thought this through.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:55:57 PM »

In that deployment configuration your speakers are fighting each other with the worst of it in the middle of the room.  Try turning the rear two speakers off, and see if it gets any better.  Make physics your friend.

That's where I was going with my questions about deployment.  Find out whoever OK'd the "four corners" approach and hit them with something hard.

Susan Celia

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 04:14:24 PM »

That's where I was going with my questions about deployment.  Find out whoever OK'd the "four corners" approach and hit them with something hard.

The way the room was initially set up was one speaker in each corner of the room and two smack dab in the center of the room facing but to but of each other.  It was nothing but high end with a million dead spots.  Lots of high flying frequencies making the music sound crappy.  So I removed the two in the center after one had died on us.  It sounded much better but still not powerful enough for the space. 

I'm not an expert on sound installs but I have some knowledge.  I've been a DJ for 20 years and now I'm running the dance room at this venue.   I'm just looking for opinions to help me getting better informed. 

As for the budget post... Every venue I've ever worked at with the exception of 2 always skimps and does things the cheap way.  Yes it's extremely frustrating because we all know you get what you pay for.  The owners of this place are similar to that but they have a lot of trust in me and my advice.  There were only 2 ksubs in the room before I started and I managed to get them to get the earthquakes recently.  What a difference that made!
With all that in mind... I need to come up with some sort of example to give them... bettering the sound and keeping it within their budget.  So yes, the Yorkville's would be a good price range.  I realize there probably needs to be 2 amps.. I called a shop and they told me the QSC 5050's would be good for that type of set up. 

Anyway.. thanks for any advice you can offer.  And please forgive me for my lack of smarts on installs.  This is why I'm here.. to hopefully get some valuable info from the pros..

If having them in the corners is not the right way to place the speakers then what would be?  The room is as rectangular as it can get.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

The room is as rectangular as it can get.

What are the dimensions? Length, width and (most importantly) height.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 26 queries.