ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Helping local venue with small budget  (Read 7654 times)

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Helping local venue with small budget
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:53 PM »

Hey, guys, I'm helping a local venue put together a small system.

No good deed goes unpunished....
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 03:59:29 PM »

Hi Duane,

We have used Peavey QW-4 over QW-218 with good luck.

We also use just 1 or 2 QW-4 at full range in Auditoriums that seat 300-500 people.

I know that is not the same as a club that is a rectangle vs. square floor plan.

The Amps we use are QSC PL 6.0.ll

Those that Bi-Amp the QW-4 claim even better performance.

Regards,  John

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 04:48:18 PM »

Hi Duane,

We have used Peavey QW-4 over QW-218 with good luck.

We also use just 1 or 2 QW-4 at full range in Auditoriums that seat 300-500 people.

I know that is not the same as a club that is a rectangle vs. square floor plan.

The Amps we use are QSC PL 6.0.ll

Those that Bi-Amp the QW-4 claim even better performance.

Regards,  John
The QW-4 is a 90 degree nominal speaker.  I really don't think that's a good idea in the OP's space.  Did you read the original post?
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

duane massey

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 10:13:39 PM »

Thanks for the responses. To clarify: $6k is for front stacks/amps/processing only; Not worried about stacking, I can deal with that; Room is way too small for delay speakers; ceiling height will not allow for central hang over/in front of stage, and no room for center sub either; not looking for overwhelming levels; I do know what I am doing, just don't have any "hands on" experience with the latest powered speakers.
I can build the FOH speakers and provide amps/processing for this budget, but just looking for a different perspective or solution. Also, time is a factor, as it would be difficult to build the boxes in time (not impossible, but a challenge).
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

sam saponaro

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

Mackie SWA1801Z 1x18 subwoofer and SR1530Z 15"-6.5mid + Horn,the sound quality is pretty impressive IMHO.
The band I work for has 1 top 1 bottom a side and it covers most places.2 each a side would be all youd need in a room that size.IMO

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2013, 03:05:13 AM »

Room is way too small for delay speakers; ceiling height will not allow for central hang over/in front of stage, and no room for center sub either; not looking for overwhelming levels; I do know what I am doing, just don't have any "hands on" experience with the latest powered speakers.
Why is the room too small for delay speakers?  You apparently don't have much height to work with so each speaker nominally covering one half of the room would let you have 'stereo' coverage from four fairly wide horizontal pattern speakers, two up front and two delays.  By splitting up the coverage area you allow each speaker to be run at a lower level and interact less with the room.  But due to the distances involved, you may want to be able to delay the fill speakers, especially for precedence to the stage.

If you use two narrower pattern boxes left and right up front to try to reduce the interaction with the room that may also leave some gap up front in the center and perhaps at the outer edges that you might want to address with some type of front fill.

It may come down to what would be nice to do over what is 'good enough' for what they're willing to pay or accept.

duane massey

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2013, 10:09:58 AM »

Brad, if this was a different situation in the same room I would certainly consider delay speakers, but I don't really have enough space to hang anything, and I am not certain the budget (which is not negotiable) would go there. The room is what it is, and anything that is done will be a compromise. Quite frankly they could throw in a couple of subs and mid/hi's on sticks and would be happy, as that seems to be the norm, and they very well may do that.
I have given them two suggestions, one with passive speakers with narrow coverage horns and one with QSC powered speakers. Far from perfect, but either way will be a great improvement over their previous system (2 JBL SF25's set on the floor with a Behringer powered mixer).
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

For them long and narrow rooms, it might be worth going to a single stack to one side. Less comb filtering, more room on stage.
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 23 queries.