ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL Control Contractor suitable for in-ceiling... outdoors?  (Read 2702 times)

Adam Ellsworth

• AirFader
JBL Control Contractor suitable for in-ceiling... outdoors?
« on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:26 AM »

I'm working on a project and the client wants to consider in-ceiling speakers for a patio. I had specified the weather-resistant surface-mount JBL Control 25/T... but I am using the 26 C/T in-ceiling model elsewhere. Would it be safe to put that outside? Being in-ceiling it will be pretty well sheltered, but will get cold (like, -10F cold a couple days a year). Would like to stick with JBL but the only ones weather-resistant seem to be the surface-mount series.

Should be fine, or is this a rookie mistake?

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
Re: JBL Control Contractor suitable for in-ceiling... outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »

Adam,
I had a similar situation for a job in Wisconsin. While JBL does not offer a specific weather rated ceiling speaker, they recommended to me the control 328CT line as their most weather resistant model.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Adam Ellsworth

• AirFader
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »

Adam,
I had a similar situation for a job in Wisconsin. While JBL does not offer a specific weather rated ceiling speaker, they recommended to me the control 328CT line as their most weather resistant model.

Thanks for the quick helpful response, neighbor. But hmmm... that's a beefy, expensive speaker. Of the whole project this is the least critical. I might have to either take chances with the 26CT or use a different brand.

Edit: FWIW, the 26CT has a Polypropelene-coated cone with a butyl rubber surround, both of which are touted as weather-resistant in the Weather Resistance Testing document for the surface-mount models. Obviously the backcan is not weather resistant but will be fully enclosed, so overall this seems low risk.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:06:44 AM by Adam Ellsworth »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 01:38:09 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.