ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Digital snake options for LS9  (Read 12743 times)

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
Digital snake options for LS9
« on: September 26, 2013, 05:17:15 PM »

I own an LS9-16 and I'm looking to move to a digital snake system.  I have considered replacing the LS9 but none of the current low-end digital mixer options except the X32 meet all of my requirements.  I'm weighing the following option vs moving to the X32 (or something else).

Does anyone know if it will work to use a Soundcraft Mini Stagebox with a Dante card to connect to the LS9 with a Dante card?  I'm sure the audio will pass, just not sure about the headamp and 48V control.  I know that the LS9 will work with the Rio boxes over Dante so I'm assuming the Dante protocol has this built in and it shouldn't be an issue.

I want to use Dante for the ability to record without requiring a separate interface.  I currently use an HD24 but would like to just use a laptop.  That setup should give me the ability to mix 32 channels (taking into account the local inputs on the LS9) and record at least 24 depending on how many returns I need to run through the snake.

Is it possible to purchase the Soundcraft Mini Stagebox 16 with a Dante card instead of MADI to save a little money in this scenario?  Any Soundcraft dealers feel free to PM me.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Re: Digital snake options for LS9
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 07:23:31 PM »

I own an LS9-16 and I'm looking to move to a digital snake system.  I have considered replacing the LS9 but none of the current low-end digital mixer options except the X32 meet all of my requirements.  I'm weighing the following option vs moving to the X32 (or something else).

Does anyone know if it will work to use a Soundcraft Mini Stagebox with a Dante card to connect to the LS9 with a Dante card?  I'm sure the audio will pass, just not sure about the headamp and 48V control.  I know that the LS9 will work with the Rio boxes over Dante so I'm assuming the Dante protocol has this built in and it shouldn't be an issue.

I want to use Dante for the ability to record without requiring a separate interface.  I currently use an HD24 but would like to just use a laptop.  That setup should give me the ability to mix 32 channels (taking into account the local inputs on the LS9) and record at least 24 depending on how many returns I need to run through the snake.

Is it possible to purchase the Soundcraft Mini Stagebox 16 with a Dante card instead of MADI to save a little money in this scenario?  Any Soundcraft dealers feel free to PM me.

Yamaha has provided the ability to control their stage boxes (Rio) via Dante. I don't know if there is a standard ( or perhaps even a convention ) for controlling remote stage boxes over Dante. I personally doubt the LS9 is going to control headamps,  phantom, or any other function on anyone else's stage boxes.

I suspect your best bet is a Yamaha box though it costs more than the X32 one or the SC mini box. At least you know it will work and it is a supported configuration.

I use Dante on my LS9 to record to a MacBook using Reaper.

When my LS9-32 sells, I will have a Dante card for sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 09:50:38 PM »

Soundcraft's stagebox is MADI only, from what I understand. Soundcraft offers option cards at the console, but only the MADI card connects to their snake. Only their Compact Stagebox, the high end one, offers expansion slots on it.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 12:10:10 AM »

Yamaha has provided the ability to control their stage boxes (Rio) via Dante. I don't know if there is a standard ( or perhaps even a convention ) for controlling remote stage boxes over Dante. I personally doubt the LS9 is going to control headamps,  phantom, or any other function on anyone else's stage boxes.

I couldn't find any protocol information on Audinate's website about control signals.  You are probably right though.  Since there are so many things that could be accomplished with specific control signals, it wouldn't make sense for Dante to transport anything but audio and clock plus possibly a generic container for manufacturer specific control signals. (lots of speculation there)

Soundcraft's stagebox is MADI only, from what I understand. Soundcraft offers option cards at the console, but only the MADI card connects to their snake.

After posting, I found this FAQ.  Not sure about the reliability of the source but it sounds official.
Here's what it says about Dante:
The first Dante card from Soundcraft/Studer will only be for the console expansion
slot and is very roughly estimated to be 6 months from today. The Stagebox
Dante cards are further away and would even more roughly be estimated to be 12
to 18 months away from today. Take these estimates with a grain of salt as they
could easily move forward or backwards

The date on that document says February 2013.
If supplying a Dante card for the Stagebox is in the works, I guess it will be used in conjunction with a Dante card in a Soundcraft console.

Speculation-a-plenty on my part here.  Anybody have any more info on this?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:13:24 AM by Corey Scogin »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 02:13:05 AM »

I couldn't find any protocol information on Audinate's website about control signals.  You are probably right though.  Since there are so many things that could be accomplished with specific control signals, it wouldn't make sense for Dante to transport anything but audio and clock plus possibly a generic container for manufacturer specific control signals. (lots of speculation there)

After posting, I found this FAQ.  Not sure about the reliability of the source but it sounds official.
Here's what it says about Dante:
The date on that document says February 2013.
If supplying a Dante card for the Stagebox is in the works, I guess it will be used in conjunction with a Dante card in a Soundcraft console.

Speculation-a-plenty on my part here.  Anybody have any more info on this?

I believe they are referring to Dante cards for the studer option slots on the COMPACT stagebox, not the mini stageboxes. Notice it says "the stagebox Dante cards" - the mini stagebox does NOT have an option slot. It still think the ministagebox is forever MADI only.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »

...the mini stagebox does NOT have an option slot. It still think the ministagebox is forever MADI only.

I'm pretty sure it does.  See the Mini Stagebox flyer:
http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/fetchfile.aspx?cat_id=brochures&id=4464
The units are part of the ViSi Connect range of interface options for
all Soundcraft mixing consoles which includes a range of console
option cards such as AES, CobraNet®, Dante™, and BSS BLU Link.

I'm not arguing that it will work with an LS9 here, just arguing that by all documentation the Mini Stagebox has (or will have) option cards for multiple networking types.  Samuel, do you have a Mini Stagebox without an option slot?

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:02:32 PM »

I'm pretty sure it does.  See the Mini Stagebox flyer:
http://www.soundcraft.com/downloads/fetchfile.aspx?cat_id=brochures&id=4464
I'm not arguing that it will work with an LS9 here, just arguing that by all documentation the Mini Stagebox has (or will have) option cards for multiple networking types.  Samuel, do you have a Mini Stagebox without an option slot?

You are quite right sir, I am the fool here! Somewhere in my head I believed I remembered seeing that as a difference between the Mini and Compact. My apologies.

Interesting that the release would take so long, looks like they intend a long product life for this stuff .

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 01:41:03 PM »

You can use this MY card: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global/en/products/interfaces/miniygdai/aviom6416y2/index.jsp

to control one of these: http://www.aviom.com/Aviom-Products-2/Analog-Input-40/6416m-Mic-Input-Module

That input box doesn't have any returns and it appears to cost more than the Rio1608-D.

Anyone have an idea what the street price is for a Rio1608-D?  They don't appear to be sold retail so no pricing is online other than "list" price.  Any dealers feel free to PM me.  That's looking like the best/only solution for digital remote I/O on the LS9.

Jason Lucas

• Hillsboro, OR, USA
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »

That input box doesn't have any returns and it appears to cost more than the Rio1608-D.

I just knew that was an available option, wasn't sure whether it would work for you or how much it would cost
There are three things I hate: Harsh highs, hollow mids, and woofy bass.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 01:47:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 23 queries.