ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A question about low frequency hum.  (Read 78 times)

Darathu

A question about low frequency hum.
« on: June 18, 2021, 10:50:37 pm »

Hello, I am new to these forums, to be blunt I have noticed that there are many intelligent people on these forums and I am wondering if someone recognizes a situation I'm confronting and has any input or a solution for it.

So what's happening is that, I have a low frequency hum on both channels of my headphones, my headphones are Hifiman He400Se rated for about 25 ohm(may be related) and the hum is present whenever I connect them to my PC or when I touch the jack on my metallic keyboard or on my midi keyboard connector, the hum is there regardless of connector and I can even get the hum by touching the ground pins on my extender cable with the headphone jack.

The hum goes away when I touch any exposed metal surface in the circuit, so like my metallic keyboard, the exposed parts of any jack, the ground pins in my extender.

Here's the kicker, I don't have a connection to ground at all. All devices are plugged into one outlet, if I remove all devices and just touch the headphone jack on the ground pin of the extender I get the hum, I guess I haven't yet tried to change extenders, the one I have now has a light bulb, I will try to change that as well in the future, but guys, does this ring any sort of bells?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber