ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Powered Speakers  (Read 11204 times)

Canute J. Chiverton

Powered Speakers
« on: September 23, 2013, 08:27:28 PM »

This question is in reference to the regular Gear used by Mobile DJs.

What in your opinion is the real reason why Manufacturer's started making Powered Speakers?
Was it to reduce Extra Gear in the Rack?
Was it to reduce Weight?
Was it to make sure that the Amps and Transducers were properly matched?
Was it because so many people who did not know what they were doing were constantly mismatching amps and speakers and thus blowing up things?
Was it for another reason, if so, what?

Paul G. OBrien

Re: Powered Speakers
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

Yes it's all those things and because people want it, packaging the amplifiers and processing(crossover and EQ) in with the speakers maximizes efficiency and has the potential to produce better sound with no additional external equipment, and it's easier to setup and control than a rack of seperates so what's not to like.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 08:44:39 AM »

This question is in reference to the regular Gear used by Mobile DJs.

What in your opinion is the real reason why Manufacturer's started making Powered Speakers?
Was it to reduce Extra Gear in the Rack?
Was it to reduce Weight?
Was it to make sure that the Amps and Transducers were properly matched?
Was it because so many people who did not know what they were doing were constantly mismatching amps and speakers and thus blowing up things?
Was it for another reason, if so, what?
You seem to be implying that there is some hidden down side to powered speakers - some collusion on the part of speaker manufacturers to take something away from us.  Care to elaborate?  My experience has been that in the hands of the average user, active speakers are the best thing to happen to live audio since the SM58.

sbjacob

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2013, 03:39:23 PM »

You seem to be implying that there is some hidden down side to powered speakers - some collusion on the part of speaker manufacturers to take something away from us.  Care to elaborate?  My experience has been that in the hands of the average user, active speakers are the best thing to happen to live audio since the SM58.
I must agree I just purchased my first active speakers 2 pair of Yamaha DXR12's and they sound great I have them crossed at 100Hz LBP with a pair of Danley TH118's I'm using a Crown iTech6000 to push the subs it's a pretty amazing combo just have to make sure everything is fastened tight on the walls and ceiling as the Danley's put out some serious LF. (:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 01:34:53 PM by Ara Ayrassian »
DANLEY SM96, TH118'S , BS412 OS80 ,GH60

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2013, 09:19:48 PM »

I won't say that there is a hidden down side to this at all.  I think it is because in the past, most people in Pro Audio had some kind of Electronic knowledge about matching Amps to Speakers etc.  With the Advent of Powered speakers, it made the job easier but at the same time, it opened up the flood gates to a lot who felt it was that easier to provide sound especially as a DJ.  If not they would still be blowing up Amps and Speakers more frequently.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2013, 05:00:16 AM »

I won't say that there is a hidden down side to this at all.  I think it is because in the past, most people in Pro Audio had some kind of Electronic knowledge about matching Amps to Speakers etc.  With the Advent of Powered speakers, it made the job easier but at the same time, it opened up the flood gates to a lot who felt it was that easier to provide sound especially as a DJ.  If not they would still be blowing up Amps and Speakers more frequently.

Dj's can still blow up powered speakers. I know at least one who can and does blow up anything with great frequency.

paris mcbryde

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »

But Powered Speakers? Are they not supposed to be like amateur/toy speakers? I jus bought 4 Ekho Powered Speakers from a friends advice and 2 months down the line I am about to put them up for sale. Where they produced for pro sounds? Can they beat the sounds that comes out from Full range and Subs? I doubt it
Ekho speakers are bottom of the barrel speakers marketed to amateurs with little to no money for quality gear. The fact that a speaker is powered or passive does not determine its quality. Powered and passive speakers range from cheap garbage to hi end concert level but unfortunately you were given very bad advise from a friend who may not be your friend.

I would recommended you get your future advise from qualified people, there are many on this forum.   

What is your budget ? Maybe it didn't allow for advise of a quality powered speaker ?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:19:15 PM by paris mcbryde »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 05:31:45 PM »

I've been using the QSC HPR line of powered speakers for about 5 years now and have no complaints.  As someone who provides small to medium-sized sound systems for DJ and live events, these speakers fit my needs and offer a great bang-to-buck for what I do.  I recall paying around $700-900 a piece for them (new), so not the cheapest or best in the world but still a decent speaker for under 1K/ea and I personally think they sounded the best among the other speakers I listened to in that price and performance range.

Why did I choose powered over non-powered?  Mostly for cost, convenience, and physical appearance.  A lot of the jobs I do are at the wedding or corporate level, and an amp rack was just one less thing I had to worry about hiding.  I also don't have to worry about buying expensive amps, amp racks, and cables needed to support non-powered speakers.  Granted I usually have a FOH rack anyways, it's nice not to have to NEED anything else to make the speaker work.  Would I do a large, 20+ speaker array with these - no - and they're not designed for that.  Sure, there are plenty of powered speakers on the market that are a significant step above what I use, but for what I do their cost/convenience/performance ratio just made sense (and given QSC's success with powered speakers, I'd say I'm not alone).  Hope this helps!

-Jeff

Babajide Fatinikun

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2014, 04:12:32 PM »

Ekho speakers are bottom of the barrel speakers marketed to amateurs with little to no money for quality gear. The fact that a speaker is powered or passive does not determine its quality. Powered and passive speakers range from cheap garbage to hi end concert level but unfortunately you were given very bad advise from a friend who may not be your friend.

I would recommended you get your future advise from qualified people, there are many on this forum.   

What is your budget ? Maybe it didn't allow for advise of a quality powered speaker ?

Thanks a million. It was a piece of bad advice. I was new into sounds then, I have done deep research and I realize there are some high end subs exist, I am current digging deep into QSC K series and the Mackie DLM series, any other ones that can guarantee high end quality?

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 07:56:21 PM »

Thanks a million. It was a piece of bad advice. I was new into sounds then, I have done deep research and I realize there are some high end subs exist, I am current digging deep into QSC K series and the Mackie DLM series, any other ones that can guarantee high end quality?

I would suspect all major speaker companies have come out with decent powered speakers. Yamaha, JBL, HK, Yorkville sound, EV, are just a few that come to mind.  Personally I have great experience with QSC. I have 11 of them now. 

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:26 PM »

It all really depends on how much you want to spend per speaker.  I too have nothing but good things to say about QSC.  Have you considered the QSC KW Series?  In my opinion they sound a little better than the K Series and can get a little louder, but of course cost a little extra.  Are you going to need subs too?  The K Sub and KW-181 are two completely different boxes.  Something to think about!

-Jeff

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »

Speed for setup and the connections. 

When working a band on a stage we set up floor monitors for the band to hear.  These can be powered or Passive.  The problem with powered is you connect two sets of wire, Power, and Audio.  So if my amp rack supports 4 monitors as individual channels we can use the Speakon 4 conductor and send two channels down one wire to monitor 1, and chain monitor 2 on the second pair.  So I connect two wires at the amp rack and have 4 stage monitors running on individual channels.  With powered you would have to pull 4 power cables and 4 audio cables.  making the stage full of wires to navigate. 

When we setup the 4 monitors and the 8 subs and 2 mains we can have 10 channels of audio running on stage in under 40 minutes.   

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:21 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 21 queries.