ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: gain staging a digital rig, DSP, and powered speakers  (Read 24363 times)

Mark McFarlane

• Middle East
    • Arkose Records
Re: gain staging a digital rig, DSP, and powered speakers
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2013, 06:23:59 am »

Off-topic 0 DBFS internal processing discussion test results:

I tested driving above 0 DBFS in the channel and bus processing using 1kHz sine wave, a scope and Smaart 7.

There is 18 dB of safe headroom in the internal processing chain above 0 DBFS, and no distortion will occur if your channels and busses go up to +18 over DBFS as long as you bring the level back down before it comes out of the board (i.e. keep the master meter below -18 DBFS).

I am not recommending that anyone run the internal processing pipeline over 0 DBFS, but its nice to know that a little overage is safe.

If you don't bring the level back down the signal is severely toasted with even and odd harmonic distortion.

This measured phenomena matches the level diagram in the 01V96 documentation, which shows the 18 dB of processing headroom.
Mark McFarlane
ARKOSERECORDS
Turn down what's too loud.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2013, 08:14:15 am »

In my previous replies I managed to allow the analog side of my brain to cloud my vision. I suppose that knowing and realizing can certainly cause confusion, especially when a subject, 0db, is as deeply ingrained in my subconscious as it pertains to the analog scale and gain structure.

Mac is, as usual, correct, and 0dBFS should not be confused with 0db. 0dBFS, as Mac has said all along, is the end of processing capability, or the end of ones and zeros. 0db, a factor of one (1), is a point where any component in the audio chain reaches a factor of one (1), not specifically the final output of the audio signal.

Most manufacturers will define 0db as a point well below 0dBFS. In any case, 0dBFS, unless clearly defined on the board as a final output level, is not the point to which I would set my gain structure. My belief is that by using the arbitrary point set by the manufacturer as 0db, headroom will be guaranteed above that point up to 0dBFS. That is why I start with the board and set all outboard devices to the board level 0db, the point referenced as maximum output without distortion by the manufacturer.

BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2013, 08:14:15 am »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Page created in 0.049 seconds with 23 queries.