ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LED lights interfering with the signal to cordless mic transmitter  (Read 5846 times)

Shane Salmon

LED lights interfering with the signal to cordless mic transmitter
« on: September 05, 2013, 04:03:59 PM »

Hello,

We have just installed 36 LED19W bulbs in our church auditorium. And while it brightens the room a lot, I am experiencing high interference with the signal from LX2/58 TRANSMITTER. Even when the mics are off the transmitter is showing there is a full signal when the LED lights are turned on. Any suggestions as to what would be the next best step in eliminating the static that is being produced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Shane Salmon
Lights and Sound Rookie

Jeff Foster

Re: LED lights interfering with the signal to cordless mic transmitter
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 04:28:24 PM »

Any suggestions as to what would be the next best step in eliminating the static that is being produced would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Is this an old VHF system, or is it a UHF system where you can change the frequency?  If the latter, then change it to a different frequency.

There's really not a whole lot you can do otherwise.  The only other options are to replace the lights with something that doesn't give off as much interference, or replace the wireless mic with a different unit.  Even with changing the wireless mic, you may still have issues.  My advice: get rid of the problematic light bulbs.  Either replace them with a better brand/model, or a different type that doesn't emit RF interference.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 04:59:13 PM »

Two things that might help are turning up the squelch on the receiver and moving the receiver as close to the transmitter as you can. In RF, loudest signal at the antenna wins.

Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Shane Salmon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:54:50 PM »

Two things that might help are turning up the squelch on the receiver and moving the receiver as close to the transmitter as you can. In RF, loudest signal at the antenna wins.

Yeah, I tried turning up the squelch and even taking the receiver down to the platform and I still can't beat the RF interference from the bulbs. We will probably end up having to buy new mics.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »

LED lights in Par 64 have not created to much trouble for me with 6 to 10 in close proximity on stage not causing trouble in either uhf or vhf. 

are the led lights par 38 screw in and are they marked for dimmer use?   Is a dimmer on the lights? 

There has been reports on the large wall displays of LED's causing RF problems and that the people monitoring them were using the strong UHF mikes with helical antenna's at the receivers.  I believe the computer functions of video desplay on the large LED wall's will be causing the RF with the long traces on the connections.  Long traces and diodes make for AM receivers. 

On these lights would adding a ferrite core over the wire next to the junction box help to prevent the RF noise?  Or a 4 uf ceramic disc to help with RF noise?   Ham radio Brute force RF blocking on power line   ceramic disc cap with coil. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:54:20 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.