Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

GFCI Theory

<< < (2/5) > >>

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on September 21, 2013, 06:35:31 PM ---NEMA claims that GFCI is superior to RCD  ;)

--- End quote ---
It seems like either they work or they don't...

There is always room for improvement, and they probably will.

JR

Richard Turner:

Minimum code reqires all outlets in bedrooms to be attached to arcfault breakers now. A primer on those would also be a good read.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Richard Turner on September 24, 2013, 08:33:36 AM ---Minimum code reqires all outlets in bedrooms to be attached to arcfault breakers now. A primer on those would also be a good read.

--- End quote ---

New home builders in my city were successful in lobbying the City Commission to remove arc flash devices from the local Codes.  The builders claimed that the $200-$300 the devices would add to the cost of a new home would threaten their businesses.

It's up to state, county and/or city to adopt Codes, and the Codes offered by the NFPA are only models, offered for local adoption.

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Tim McCulloch on September 24, 2013, 11:15:04 AM ---New home builders in my city were successful in lobbying the City Commission to remove arc flash devices from the local Codes.  The builders claimed that the $200-$300 the devices would add to the cost of a new home would threaten their businesses.

It's up to state, county and/or city to adopt Codes, and the Codes offered by the NFPA are only models, offered for local adoption.

--- End quote ---

I am apprehensive about the added cost and complexity. Will these outlets work flawlessly for several decades?

I kind of like the Euro approach to put RCD in the breaker panel so all outlets on a given branch are protected, while there are complaints about false triggering due to dampness or whatever, the current leakage is probably really happening.  Of course this gets expensive to retrofit.

I have installed a few GFCI to bathroom and kitchen outlets near water and low z ground paths, not sure about utility of retro fitting arc flash for me... ?

JR

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on September 24, 2013, 01:38:56 PM ---I am apprehensive about the added cost and complexity. Will these outlets work flawlessly for several decades?

I kind of like the Euro approach to put RCD in the breaker panel so all outlets on a given branch are protected, while there are complaints about false triggering due to dampness or whatever, the current leakage is probably really happening.  Of course this gets expensive to retrofit.

I have installed a few GFCI to bathroom and kitchen outlets near water and low z ground paths, not sure about utility of retro fitting arc flash for me... ?

JR

--- End quote ---
As a forced user of arc-fault breakers in my home, I can say that I'm not a fan.  The logic of determining what is an undesirable arc and arcing of brushed motors and normal switch closure arcing is apparently not an exact science.  I am unable to run power tools on arc-fault circuits (I know - not an original design goal, but "remodeling happens", as they say), and every time I spin down my Bridgeport milling machine (powered by a VFD and the mill is by my breaker panels), one of my arc-fault breakers trips if there's a load on that circuit.

I'm sold on GFCI breakers; not so much arc-fault based on personal experience.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version