ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for expanding FOH  (Read 1612 times)

Darren Stagg

Suggestions for expanding FOH
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:05:35 pm »

My current system utilizes one Peavey SP218 at centre and two stand mounted SP5's at side stage. The SP218 is 4 ohms and is driven by a PV2600 bridged. The SP5's are 8 ohms each and are paralleled and driven by another bridged PV2600. We're a duo with MIDI backing tracks for drums, bass, some keys....live acoustic guitar and live electric guitar. We play mostly community centres and large clubs with 200-300 people. I've never had any issues with these indoor venues - power to spare and good clean sound. Happy clients who regularly compliment the sound. We play classic rock / country.

I'm wondering about the best way to scale up for outdoor shows that I have been asked to do. A standard outdoor hockey rink would be the "dance floor" and there would be beer tent, etc outside the rink. Small town so still likely won't exceed 500-600 people at any given time at the show - certainly under 1000.

Would doubling my speaker and amp count be sufficient or do you think I need to go with a completely different system. I would still be thinking centered sub array unless you would suggest end fire.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
Re: Suggestions for expanding FOH
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 10:10:32 pm »

My current system utilizes one Peavey SP218 at centre and two stand mounted SP5's at side stage. The SP218 is 4 ohms and is driven by a PV2600 bridged. The SP5's are 8 ohms each and are paralleled and driven by another bridged PV2600. We're a duo with MIDI backing tracks for drums, bass, some keys....live acoustic guitar and live electric guitar. We play mostly community centres and large clubs with 200-300 people. I've never had any issues with these indoor venues - power to spare and good clean sound. Happy clients who regularly compliment the sound. We play classic rock / country.

I'm wondering about the best way to scale up for outdoor shows that I have been asked to do. A standard outdoor hockey rink would be the "dance floor" and there would be beer tent, etc outside the rink. Small town so still likely won't exceed 500-600 people at any given time at the show - certainly under 1000.

Would doubling my speaker and amp count be sufficient or do you think I need to go with a completely different system. I would still be thinking centered sub array unless you would suggest end fire.

Different system.  More of what you have will widen the coverage, but it won't really give you the increase in output you'll need out in the open.

Consider renting "racks 'n stacks".  Pass the increased cost on to the event.  Owning your own stuff for occasional outdoor use is not good economics.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Darren Stagg

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 10:24:35 pm »

Different system.  More of what you have will widen the coverage, but it won't really give you the increase in output you'll need out in the open.

Consider renting "racks 'n stacks".  Pass the increased cost on to the event.  Owning your own stuff for occasional outdoor use is not good economics.

Thanks - I certainly have no desire to purchase gear for these occasional jobs and I did allow for rental of supplementary sound reinforcement. Just didn't know whether to add to mine or leave it home and engineer a whole new plan. I'll take your advice and talk to my local rental company for proper sizing.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 07:49:45 am »

Thanks - I certainly have no desire to purchase gear for these occasional jobs and I did allow for rental of supplementary sound reinforcement. Just didn't know whether to add to mine or leave it home and engineer a whole new plan. I'll take your advice and talk to my local rental company for proper sizing.
As far as the speaker system, unless it is a matter of simply adding some fills then it will probably be easier and more cost effective for you to rent a packaged speaker system than for a provider to try to put together something built around what you already have.

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 09:13:21 am »

We often see and hear about when using double speakers there will be lobbing where areas of sound will be weak or missing, or strong, or to much in a frequency specific lobe.   

Adding subs for the low will be a question, if the subs can line up in front of the stage and not block the view of the show?  If the subs are joined at the hip and next to each other, on the ground you will see a boost in DB level from proximity to each other and the ground.  This is a good thing. 

Separating them to left and right speaker stacks for looks and symmetry can cause the same problem with lobbing and power alley down the center where frequencies can be missing.   

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 09:45:00 am »

Adding subs for the low will be a question, if the subs can line up in front of the stage and not block the view of the show?  If the subs are joined at the hip and next to each other, on the ground you will see a boost in DB level from proximity to each other and the ground.  This is a good thing. 
Let's not forget that putting subs in a line will cause the array to become directional (once it becomes long enough), thereby narrowing the coverage.  While this is normally a positive thing indoors (keeping that energy off of the walls), outside it may not give the desired result.  If a listener is not directly in front of (or behind) the sub array, they may not be getting much low-end level at all.  Just another thing to consider.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

Are you going to be the main attraction or something to the side?
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 12:57:24 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 24 queries.