Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

Grounding to the neutral bar?

(1/7) > >>

Jamin Lynch:
Often we have to tie into the closest breaker panel due to lack of adequate power or no disconnect. We will insert our own set of breakers but often there is no separate ground bar in the panel. Is it "generally" OK to connect the ground wire to the neutral bar?

Thanks

Getting all my electrical questions out of the way today.  :) :

Rob Spence:

--- Quote from: Jamin Lynch on September 19, 2013, 12:03:34 PM ---Often we have to tie into the closest breaker panel due to lack of adequate power or no disconnect. We will insert our own set of breakers but often there is no separate ground bar in the panel. Is it "generally" OK to connect the ground wire to the neutral bar?

Thanks

--- End quote ---

If there is no ground buss, examine the neutral buss to see if other grounds are connected there. If so, I would use it but would also check to see if there is a neutral feeder and a heavy ground connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

TJ (Tom) Cornish:

--- Quote from: Jamin Lynch on September 19, 2013, 12:03:34 PM ---Often we have to tie into the closest breaker panel due to lack of adequate power or no disconnect. We will insert our own set of breakers but often there is no separate ground bar in the panel. Is it "generally" OK to connect the ground wire to the neutral bar?

Thanks

--- End quote ---
Ask the licensed electrician doing the electrical tie-in for you.

Jamin Lynch:

--- Quote from: TJ (Tom) Cornish on September 19, 2013, 12:42:23 PM ---Ask the licensed electrician doing the electrical tie-in for you.

--- End quote ---

There is never an electrician on site. This usually comes up at clubs therefore we have to do the tie in ourselves.

Plus I don't trust some of these local "home boys" that call themselves electricians.

Jay Barracato:

--- Quote from: Jamin Lynch on September 19, 2013, 12:45:37 PM ---There is never an electrician on site. This usually comes up at clubs therefore we have to do the tie in ourselves.

--- End quote ---

This whole thing demonstrates the problem with adding on to someone elses property.

Is the panel a main panel or a sub panel?

Where are the other grounds landing in the panel?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version