ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50amp outlets  (Read 43473 times)

Spenser Hamilton

Re: 50amp outlets
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 09:23:29 PM »

Oh, and the 100 amp electrical service was 5, 20amp Edison receptacles on a 50 amp main breaker...  On a Saturday in rural middle of nowhere.

What's the matter? 5x20=100, I'm sure the client didn't understand the problem. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 09:24:44 PM »

If you are caught performing an illegal tie-in, you will be fined. If someone is hurt because of your illegal tie-in you will likely go to jail.

No amount of sarcastic banter on your part will change that. I hope for your sake that an inspector never comes your way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No sarcasm. Just pointing out that we always seem to make things work out even when the conditions are not perfect.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 12:01:28 AM »

No sarcasm. Just pointing out that we always seem to make things work out even when the conditions are not perfect.

Well, at least now you have seen the venue and can have them fix the power before you go back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 03:26:13 AM »

I didn't detail what was done and I didn't say how close the show came to not happening.

Do not presume that the show was a success in spite of itself; rather you should know that the client had to call multiple electricians in several communities before finding one who had the circuit breakers, conduit, boxes and misc stuff and could come out and put it all together to provide the service we needed.

IOW, it almost didn't happen.

The manual loading and unloading of our truck into small utility vehicles took hours.  The nice lady from the Chamber of Commerce felt bad that some of her help didn't show up and she decided to crew that day.  By 3pm she was in hospital with heat stroke.

I should not have used the word "success" to describe this event.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 07:11:59 AM »

I should not have used the word "success" to describe this event.
It seems the event was "completed"; but if I had too many of those "successes", I'd either be in the psych ward, the hospital, or jail.

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 07:25:15 AM »

I really don't have the time to drive out 100 miles to this little town out in the middle of nowhere at $3.00 a gallon to meet with the Priest at the Catholic Church who can barely speak English and who knows nothing about any of this. I just play with the cards I'm dealt and make the best out of the situation.

Bottom line...........Nothing burn down or will burn down. Nobody got hurt. The show went on as scheduled. We are booked again for another festival. I'll most likely do the same thing.

As usual, the topic has strayed totally away from the original post
I'm not sure what kind of badge you keep hoping for with this kind of posting.  "Good job - nobody died today."  "Congrats - your tie-in may be slightly less unsafe than the most idiotic licensed electrician."  "Nice job for saving the client the $300 it would cost to hire an electrician to install a real receptacle, so now they're stuck with everybody and their brother digging in their panel forever."

Nobody on this forum can stop you from doing whatever you want, but what you're doing is illegal and unsafe, and your attitude of "real electricians are idiots and tying in is easy and no big deal" does nothing to help you or anyone else reading these threads or coming to venues you've been to.  Either do it the right way, or at least shut up about it.

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 04:27:00 PM »

Nobody on this forum can stop you from doing whatever you want, but what you're doing is illegal and unsafe, and your attitude of "real electricians are idiots and tying in is easy and no big deal" does nothing to help you or anyone else reading these threads or coming to venues you've been to.  Either do it the right way, or at least shut up about it.

That is my exact issue Tom, I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't more regulars coming down on this guy. Somebody browsing the forum today, tomorrow or even years from now (I regularly find great advice by searching old threads) needs to know that tie-ins should only be done by a qualified electrician.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

That is my exact issue Tom, I'm actually quite surprised that there isn't more regulars coming down on this guy. Somebody browsing the forum today, tomorrow or even years from now (I regularly find great advice by searching old threads) needs to know that tie-ins should only be done by a qualified electrician.

http://etcp.plasa.org/cert_technicians/electricians.html

http://etcp.plasa.org/candidateinfo/electricalexams/ElectricalContentOutline.htm
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:07:27 PM by Tim McCulloch »
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #58 on: October 06, 2013, 06:33:13 PM »

I'm not sure what kind of badge you keep hoping for with this kind of posting.  "Good job - nobody died today."  "Congrats - your tie-in may be slightly less unsafe than the most idiotic licensed electrician."  "Nice job for saving the client the $300 it would cost to hire an electrician to install a real receptacle, so now they're stuck with everybody and their brother digging in their panel forever."

I've been trying to end this thing a long time ago but everybody wants to throw a punch, well I'm gonna throw as many as I receive.

OK I get it. You all have made your points...move on.

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »

Are there people capable of performing electrical work safely and according to code without being a licensed electrician? Absolutely.

Are there licensed electricians who take shortcuts that jeopardize life and property, backed by inspectors that just sign off because they see that electrician's name on the permit? Yup.

Does your ability to perform work safely without license or permit absolve you from liability and protect you from legal action if someone does get hurt on that installation -- even if it's not your fault? Nope, not a chance.

It's simple to put a clause in the contract that says, "Contractor reserves the right to have electrical service inspected by an independent electrician or inspector of his choosing prior to connection to ensure adequacy and safety. Any deficiencies shall be rectified at the venue's/promoter's expense before connection. Failure to rectify deficiencies in a timely fashion will result in cancellation of this contract prior to the event and forfeiture of any deposit paid."

Now that I've summed up this thread, perhaps the admins can lock it. This horse is dead.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2013, 09:57:14 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 25 queries.