ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50amp outlets  (Read 43467 times)

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
Re: 50amp outlets
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »

Uh....it was outdoors.  How could I burn the place down? If the place was going to "burn down" as you say, it wouldn't happen 2 months from now.

So you would just walk away from this job leaving the hundreds of people out of luck who came to see the bands when there was a SAFE and easy alternative to obtain proper power. Would you prefer I use the plug they had for me? I feel that was way less safe than adding a couple of breakers.
I've done this sort of thing many times, but things have changed with regard to litigation and the concepts of liability.  It's a very different world now.  I would not put my assets at risk in this situation today.  It doesn't matter if any incident happens now or at any time in the future.  Since you decided to open the electrical box and perform work inside, you have now assumed the risk for anything that might happen (now or in the future).  Also, since you've posted this on the internet, the lawyers will most definitely find it.  In the future, get a licensed (and bonded) electrician to perform the work - their insurance will cover this; yours will not.

As for the rest of your questions, fire burns outdoors, too.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 03:18:00 PM »

50amp plug no ground. The cord was about 100ft of 12 gauge SJ cable. There was no other power available. So what do I do? I installed my own set of breakers in the panel next to the plug and called it good. Everything went well.

Aside from the grounding issues, a 50A plug with 12AWG SJ cord is a big no no if the breaker for that plug was in fact 50A. 20A is the maximum size over-current device for 12AWG wire. And if they were using 4 wire SJ, there's technically a derating for multiple hots in the same jacket. Very dangerous.
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2013, 07:05:59 AM »

Well here ya go...
Jamin,

Did you advance the show power situation or talk about generator options with the client?  It seems like there could have been specifics in-place before you arrived.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 02:40:50 PM »

I've done this sort of thing many times, but things have changed with regard to litigation and the concepts of liability.  It's a very different world now.  I would not put my assets at risk in this situation today.  It doesn't matter if any incident happens now or at any time in the future.  Since you decided to open the electrical box and perform work inside, you have now assumed the risk for anything that might happen (now or in the future).  Also, since you've posted this on the internet, the lawyers will most definitely find it.  In the future, get a licensed (and bonded) electrician to perform the work - their insurance will cover this; yours will not.

As for the rest of your questions, fire burns outdoors, too.

I know for a fact that everything was done safely and correctly so there's nothing for anybody to worry about. The event  was held in a parking lot. Dedicated power pole with it's own meter and breaker panel. Not likely anything could catch on fire then or months down the road.

There was no way to get an electrician out to this little town in the middle of nowhere at 8am. You can ask for generators or electricians in advance, but that doesn't mean you'll get it.

Just about everything we do in this business is dangerous. Stacking speakers, running cords and cables on the floor, lighting trees, ect.  You might as well quit if you're going to worry about lawsuits all the time. Learn from experienced people and use some common sense.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 02:43:09 PM »

Aside from the grounding issues, a 50A plug with 12AWG SJ cord is a big no no if the breaker for that plug was in fact 50A. 20A is the maximum size over-current device for 12AWG wire. And if they were using 4 wire SJ, there's technically a derating for multiple hots in the same jacket. Very dangerous.

That's why we didn't use it.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 04:09:55 PM »

Uh....it was outdoors.  How could I burn the place down? If the place was going to "burn down" as you say, it wouldn't happen 2 months from now.

So you would just walk away from this job leaving the hundreds of people out of luck who came to see the bands when there was a SAFE and easy alternative to obtain proper power. Would you prefer I use the plug they had for me? I feel that was way less safe than adding a couple of breakers.

I would have not waited till show day to KNOW I had safe, correct power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:45 PM »

I would have not waited till show day to KNOW I had safe, correct power.

I assume you currently do that for all your events?

OK, So all you guys drive out to every event location in advance no matter how far, inspect the power, get signed contracts and abandon the show if everything in your rider is not met.  I bet not.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 04:52:18 PM by Jamin Lynch »

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2013, 04:25:00 PM »

Just about everything we do in this business is dangerous. Stacking speakers, running cords and cables on the floor, lighting trees, ect.  You might as well quit if you're going to worry about lawsuits all the time. Learn from experienced people and use some common sense. Why do something to increase that danger?

Fixed.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2013, 05:00:52 PM »

I assume you currently do that for all your events?

OK, So all you guys drive out to every event location in advance no matter how far, inspect the power, get signed contracts and abandon the show if everything in your rider is not met.  I bet not.

If I have not used a venue,
and,
I need more than a couple of outlets,
 then HELL YES, I go visit!
I also bring a long tape measure so I have the right cables.

In the event that the venue is too far to visit, then I want photos from the venue.

I don't like surprises. Uncertainties I can resolve in advance reduce risk at the event.

rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »

And yes, I will walk with unsafe power. 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2013, 05:15:50 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 25 queries.