ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: 50amp outlets  (Read 43471 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: 50amp outlets
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2013, 05:17:32 PM »

If I have not used a venue,
and,
I need more than a couple of outlets,
 then HELL YES, I go visit!
I also bring a long tape measure so I have the right cables.

In the event that the venue is too far to visit, then I want photos from the venue.

I don't like surprises. Uncertainties I can resolve in advance reduce risk at the event.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
+1 - absolutely.  If I need more than a circuit or two that I'm likely to find around the room, I always advance the show, and distance isn't an excuse.  Get the janitor to whip out his IPhone and take pictures of electric-ey-lookin' things and send them to you.  Yes I write this into my contracts.

This isn't rocket science - either size the power to the show, or size the show to the power.  If you lose a gig because someone is expecting you to do illegal wiring, rigging, pyro, or whatever - that's a win.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:56 PM »

And yes, I will walk with unsafe power.

It was only unsafe if we would have used the supplied power......so we didn't......then it was safe.

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:51 PM »

It was only unsafe if we would have used the supplied power......so we didn't......then it was safe.
Are you a licensed electrician?  If not, what you did was unsafe. I think you probably disagree with me in that. That is certainly your right.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2013, 07:55:22 PM »

Are you a licensed electrician?  If not, what you did was unsafe. I think you probably disagree with me in that. That is certainly your right.

So all your extension cords, power cables, stringer boxes, lighting cables were all made and/or certified by a licensed electrician? Or did you make them yourself? I don't see a whole lot of difference.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2013, 08:08:41 PM »

Are you a licensed electrician?  If not, what you did was unsafe.

It might be against the rules (or law perhaps) but that doesn't make it unsafe.

Steve.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:38 PM »

It might be against the rules (or law perhaps) but that doesn't make it unsafe.

Steve.

Bingo.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 09:32:19 PM »

I did a gig a few years back that had a 10-50R next to a sub panel. I made them replace it with a 14-50R before I would use it (discovered weeks before the gig).

My electric range came with a 10-50P on it. I had the cord set replaced before I could use it.

They are pretty common up here in the northeast. Of course, all newer construction has the 4 wire versions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

No truer statement than that Rob. My electric range, dryer, and welder all use the same outlet and cord set. Newer construction adheres to the newer code, but there is nothing unsafe about these outlets if properly wired and I see no real need to change them (for these purposes). 250V, neutral, ground, and hot. What's not to like?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2013, 09:44:25 PM »

Aside from the grounding issues, a 50A plug with 12AWG SJ cord is a big no no if the breaker for that plug was in fact 50A. 20A is the maximum size over-current device for 12AWG wire. And if they were using 4 wire SJ, there's technically a derating for multiple hots in the same jacket. Very dangerous.

I don't understand why the big tadoo about these 50 amp outlets. It's a 3 wire grounded circuit carrying 250 volts at (up to) 50A. It's a large version of a 120 volt Edison, it's an outlet that has been in use for about 75 years, and the last time I checked the people in my neighborhood weren't bursting into flames every time they cooked dinner or dried their clothes.

I agree with you Greg concerning the smaller #12 cable, however, if a distro using the proper cable and configured with the proper breakers were plugged into one of these sockets I would have no reason to NOT use the outlet as a source.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

Cailen,

Not wearing a rubber is "unsafe". Properly building a distro or wiring your house without hiring an electrician is NOT "unsafe". I have seen more hack jobs done by electricians then any sound guy who knows he could be killed doing the job wrong. electricians don't have that fear. They tend to feel anything they do is safe, or safe enough to get by.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »

Cailen,

Not wearing a rubber is "unsafe". Properly building a distro or wiring your house without hiring an electrician is NOT "unsafe". I have seen more hack jobs done by electricians then any sound guy who knows he could be killed doing the job wrong. electricians don't have that fear. They tend to feel anything they do is safe, or safe enough to get by.

You are correct. I posted before thinking. I'll revise when I am done with this gig.  I think I meant unsafe in a liability and business sense as opposed to electrically safe.   Regardless I wasn't clear.  Apologies.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2013, 09:56:06 PM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.