Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > AC Power and Grounding

NoShockZone seminar tonight

<< < (2/3) > >>

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Jerome Malsack on September 19, 2013, 11:31:27 AM ---I would like to jump in and say I managed to make the 200 mile trip out and back for the 90 minute lecture and we all had fun and learned much from the time spent.   

It was fun watching the guitar player when the guitar and player were floating with 120 volts on the ground.   Happy to see that he was able to walk away and still had a good hair dew!

--- End quote ---

Like this?

and this?

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on September 19, 2013, 07:00:36 PM ---
--- End quote ---

I just taught a NoShockZone clinic at Austin Community College this afternoon. The teacher thought it should take 1 hour max, with maybe 30 minutes Q&A. But as we got halfway through my presentation the teacher announced he was cancelling the next class so we could expand the seminar time, and we spent 3 hours on sound system grounding, hums, buzzes, shocks, and electrocution. Good times....

Jonathan Johnson:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on September 19, 2013, 07:00:36 PM ---Like this?

and this?

--- End quote ---

Mike's obituary will read "Mike was killed when he plugged his RPBG demonstration unit into an outlet he didn't know was an RPBG."

Nah, we all know he will test the outlet before he plugs ANYTHING in. Be safe out there, Mike, you're playing with fire. We all benefit from your experience, and none of us want that experience to include a fatal mistake.

Mike Sokol:

--- Quote from: Jonathan Johnson on October 16, 2013, 02:54:06 PM ---Mike's obituary will read "Mike was killed when he plugged his RPBG demonstration unit into an outlet he didn't know was an RPBG."

Nah, we all know he will test the outlet before he plugs ANYTHING in. Be safe out there, Mike, you're playing with fire. We all benefit from your experience, and none of us want that experience to include a fatal mistake.

--- End quote ---

Not to worry since I do test every outlet before plugging in my demo unit, first with a NCVT to check for proper polarity and a possible hot ground, then with an Amprobe INSP-3 to check for line voltage and ground impedance. I also have a 100K resistor in series with the guitar demonstration just in case my test subject does something silly like grab a water pipe while holding the intentionally electrified guitar. And of course, I would never do this demonstration on grass or damp concrete. Too many things to go wrong.

I've thought about adding a basic AED component to this demonstration. Does anyone on this forum have a contact with an AED manufacturer?

John Roberts {JR}:

--- Quote from: Mike Sokol on October 25, 2013, 04:54:19 PM ---
I've thought about adding a basic AED component to this demonstration. Does anyone on this forum have a contact with an AED manufacturer?

--- End quote ---
Automated External defibrillator?

====
A GFCI in series with your rig might prevent even a suicidal test subject from being successful.

JR

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version