ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Generators  (Read 25395 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Generators
« on: September 18, 2013, 02:43:36 PM »

Every time I do a gig with a generator I ask the provider "Where's the ground rod?" All I get is a funny look and the standard reply.  "It's grounded to the generator."

Please clarify. Shouldn't there be a copper ground rod attached to the generator that goes to earth?

Thanks

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Re: Generators
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »

Every time I do a gig with a generator I ask the provider "Where's the ground rod?" All I get is a funny look and the standard reply.  "It's grounded to the generator."

Please clarify. Shouldn't there be a copper ground rod attached to the generator that goes to earth?

Thanks

Maybe someone else can give a more expert answer, but my answer is "not necessarily". The safety ground is in the bonding point where the neutral and the safety ground conductor both return to the neutral side of the breaker panel. It is this alternate path to "ground" that allows the over current to trip the breaker rather than passing through your body. If the safety ground was a ground rod only, the current would have to pass through your body, into the ground, through the dirt to the ground rod, where it would return to the other side of the breaker and trip the breaker. That is not an ideal situation.

The Earth is not an infinite sink that absorbs all electricity you point at it.

Mac

Phil Graham

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:57 PM »

Thanks

Jamin,

Please read my three article series in the other major audio industry trade rag, the one that doesn't own PSW. You'll find a detailed explanation of this. It would be a very long and detailed thing to re-compile here.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 10:03:06 PM »

in california you are required to have a ground rod for a generator at an event. i have to get a generator permit. i have to show the permit to the gen rental company before they will rent me the gen. a building and safety inspector comes out after the gen arrives and checks to see if the gen is connected to it. after we are done we pound the rod or cut it off below the surface. the same is true for a construction site portable generator.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 11:45:44 PM »

I've been studying generator grounding for some time, and think it's vitally important for performer (and sound tech) safety. In a few days I'm going to outline some generator grounding scenarios for you all to consider and discuss. This isn't a simple topic, with many of the generator manufacturers unable to agree. It's going to be an interesting thread.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 06:04:09 AM »

I've been studying generator grounding for some time, and think it's vitally important for performer (and sound tech) safety. In a few days I'm going to outline some generator grounding scenarios for you all to consider and discuss. This isn't a simple topic, with many of the generator manufacturers unable to agree. It's going to be an interesting thread.

Mike,
I am very interested to see this.  Since earth ground can only be a path for lightning/static discharge (unless another earth ground bonded to neutral is close by) I have wondered why we chose bond them when some other countries don't.  Curious to see your findings on generators.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

Steve Payne

• Soundworks of Virginia, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 08:38:47 AM »

Jamin,

Please read my three article series in the other major audio industry trade rag, the one that doesn't own PSW. You'll find a detailed explanation of this. It would be a very long and detailed thing to re-compile here.

Phil, is your series available on line?  Would it be inappropriate to post a link here?  Thanks.
Steve Payne
like us on Facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/SOUNDWORKSOFVIRGINIA

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 03:29:17 PM by Doug Fowler »
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jordan Wolf

Re: Generators and Grounding - Intro and Definitions
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 11:20:50 PM »

Here's the link. 

http://www.fohonline.com/current-issue/74-tech-feature/8858-generators-and-portable-primer-part-1.html
Thanks, Doug.  I couldn't figure out which trade rag was being talked about.  I remember seeing the first one, but not the follow-ups…will have to read them soon.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

Thanks, Doug.  I couldn't figure out which trade rag was being talked about.  I remember seeing the first one, but not the follow-ups…will have to read them soon.

It's all good.....
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.