ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: choosing a digital board  (Read 22657 times)

Jesse gray

choosing a digital board
« on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:11 PM »

So I am wanting to buy a digital board for the ministry I run sound for. We are currently running an Allen & Heath GL2400 in each of our two buildings. I have had my eyes on the Soundcraft Si Expression 3 because though we only use 19 channels on it right now, I want them to be able to handle larger shows in the future after I leave. (also ease of use/teaching for volunteers, having the FX/monitors 1 touch away) So the questions I had were:

the expression series only has a 4 band semi-parametric eq, do i need a fully parametric eq, and if i do, am I wanting more than 4 bands?

as far as expandibility We do live recordings through the direct outs into an Adat hd24, and then into Logic Pro. I have been checking out the dante card, but have only seen them in the UK. also I would love to get the MADI card for the stage box, so can you record and use the stage box with one card? do I want two card ports?

I know the questions I have asked can make the board price range from $3k to $30k. So this is my last one. The budget is 3-9K. I have two venues I would like upgrade. So should I just upgrade the one get the best one I can for the price. or get two lower priced, but still way better than what we have, boards for the same cost? I don't want the x32 at all, and am disinclined towards the ls9, but could have someone sell me on it.

Jesse gray

Bill McKelvey

Re: choosing a digital board
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 09:25:49 PM »

So I am wanting to buy a digital board for the ministry I run sound for. We are currently running an Allen & Heath GL2400 in each of our two buildings. I have had my eyes on the Soundcraft Si Expression 3 because though we only use 19 channels on it right now, I want them to be able to handle larger shows in the future after I leave. (also ease of use/teaching for volunteers, having the FX/monitors 1 touch away) So the questions I had were:

the expression series only has a 4 band semi-parametric eq, do i need a fully parametric eq, and if i do, am I wanting more than 4 bands?

as far as expandibility We do live recordings through the direct outs into an Adat hd24, and then into Logic Pro. I have been checking out the dante card, but have only seen them in the UK. also I would love to get the MADI card for the stage box, so can you record and use the stage box with one card? do I want two card ports?

I know the questions I have asked can make the board price range from $3k to $30k. So this is my last one. The budget is 3-9K. I have two venues I would like upgrade. So should I just upgrade the one get the best one I can for the price. or get two lower priced, but still way better than what we have, boards for the same cost? I don't want the x32 at all, and am disinclined towards the ls9, but could have someone sell me on it.

Jesse gray

Curosity got the better of me. What is wrong with the X32?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 09:27:45 PM »

Curosity got the better of me. What is wrong with the X32?

It's a tool of the devil...
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:46:46 PM »

Isn't he still an analog die hard?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 10:00:42 PM »

Take a look at the Presonus 32...  full parametric is real real nice.

Jesse gray

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 10:22:31 PM »

I just don't like anything Behringer. I have a bunch of different gates, compressors, and dsp's and I havent liked anything. That and I don't like the workflow, I havent used one before but to be able to teach volunteers on that it seems like a nightmare. I don't have a problem with learning to use any board, but I have to be able to teach my team before I leave in a couple of months.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 10:26:57 PM »

Take a look at the Presonus 32...  full parametric is real real nice.

Plus it's likely the easiest switch-over from analog to "digi-log".  Very few menus, no layers, fine feature set, SMAART to keep an eye on things in real time, tunable gates, expanders and a generally user-friendly layout.  And if you have some favorite analog outboard you don't want to part with....it has INSERTS!!!!!

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2013, 10:32:35 PM »

I just don't like anything Behringer. I have a bunch of different gates, compressors, and dsp's and I havent liked anything. That and I don't like the workflow, I havent used one before but to be able to teach volunteers on that it seems like a nightmare. I don't have a problem with learning to use any board, but I have to be able to teach my team before I leave in a couple of months.

stick with analog... you can always coach them over the phone.

Jesse gray

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 11:01:50 PM »

stick with analog... you can always coach them over the phone.

Depending on the board ( presonus/soundcraft si) I would also be able to coach them over the phone as well. I also need new outboard effects. All the ones we own suck. So I would need to train them on the processors ( they don't know how to use them) and it would be so much easier to have it all in one spot.

Plus it's likely the easiest switch-over from analog to "digi-log".  Very few menus, no layers, fine feature set, SMAART to keep an eye on things in real time, tunable gates, expanders and a generally user-friendly layout.  And if you have some favorite analog outboard you don't want to part with....it has INSERTS!!!!!

I don't know how many inserts the presonus has but I know the si has 4 that are patchable to channels. and for whatever reason, the layout of the studiolive throws me off. That and moving faders are just so fun!

It I can swing it, would an Allen & Heath GLD-80 be a good option? I like that it has dedicated ports for digital boxes and network cards for recording.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »

Depending on the board ( presonus/soundcraft si) I would also be able to coach them over the phone as well. I also need new outboard effects. All the ones we own suck. So I would need to train them on the processors ( they don't know how to use them) and it would be so much easier to have it all in one spot.

I don't know how many inserts the presonus has but I know the si has 4 that are patchable to channels. and for whatever reason, the layout of the studiolive throws me off. That and moving faders are just so fun!

It I can swing it, would an Allen & Heath GLD-80 be a good option? I like that it has dedicated ports for digital boxes and network cards for recording.

The Presonus has inserts on every channel...pre-A/D.

If you're going to get two boards, go Presonus.  If you want to spend the budget on one excellent board, get the GLD.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:25 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.