ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: opinions of QSC K series speakers  (Read 5315 times)

Russ Buck

opinions of QSC K series speakers
« on: March 21, 2011, 12:11:07 PM »

some of you might of read my earlier posts concerning replacing our sanctuary speakers.  We are considering Qsc K10's with a Ksub for our church and just wondered some opinions on these speakers.  The plan would be to place them at similar placement of the current except to mount them on the walls tilted down slightly.  One concern I had was that they are active speakers which would require power for them, plus a way to easily turn them off and on each day of use.  Plus the fact that they are plastic boxed and not wood, I am wondering what difference this will make in sound.  any input?

Russ

Mike Spitzer

Re: opinions of QSC K series speakers
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 12:14:17 PM »

I haven't used them myself, but I did read this the other day. Worth a read regarding the K Series.

http://www.churchtecharts.org/archives/3010

-mS

Walt Jaquith

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 03:09:00 PM »

I have the K12s with Ksubs beneath them.  They simply sound amazing.  Clear, punchy and as loud as you want.  The plastic backs aren't hurting much as far as I can tell, but they did just introduce wood backed versions.  I think the 8s and 10s are set up like the 12s, which have provision for remote on/off for flying applications.  I've used my system for jazz, blues and rock, indoors and out.  They are impressive across the board.  Recommended without reservation.

Cheers, Walt

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »

some of you might of read my earlier posts concerning replacing our sanctuary speakers.  We are considering Qsc K10's with a Ksub for our church and just wondered some opinions on these speakers.  The plan would be to place them at similar placement of the current except to mount them on the walls tilted down slightly.  One concern I had was that they are active speakers which would require power for them, plus a way to easily turn them off and on each day of use.  Plus the fact that they are plastic boxed and not wood, I am wondering what difference this will make in sound.  any input?
What happened to the planned center array?  By the current locations do you mean the stage left speaker in the back corner of the stage and the stage right speaker at the front corner of the stage?

I'm not sure that a 90 degree conical pattern would be the best thing for your room, you might want something with at least a narrower vertical pattern.

You might also need to use a mount like this http://www.onstagestands.com/catalog/item/home/model/SS7322B/grp/GRP000181 or this http://adapttechgroup.com/socketmount_adj.html.

Buck Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
    • Selah Media Productions
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 04:53:59 PM »

A lot more goes into a proper speaker selection for a given space than most folks think about. The K10s have a 90 degree horn, and the K12's have a 70 degree horn. The K12's will function better in a longer throw situation. You have to think of dimensions of the room, etc. I try to establish 1 point source if possible in my installs to reduce acoustical issues as well (center array). KSUBS are great as well - a really balanced system. All of this said, the K series stuff is really good -(i am a QSC dealer!). You can also look at the KW series stuff also. Hanging powered cabs is not a problem. Best to set up sequenced power for your entire PA to deal with power on/off. Furman makes a really good sequenced power system. Best wishes!
Buck Roberts, president
Selah Media Productions
www.selahmedia.net
sound/lighting/video
design & installation

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 05:34:26 PM »

Hanging powered cabs is not a problem.

Powered speakers which are designed to be flown are not a problem.  However, it is a tad misleading to make a statement like the above.  It should probably read, "Having powered speakers hung is not a problem."  Any install where loads are suspended above a public area should be done by qualified vendors who are bonded, insured and experienced/qualified.  It is one thing to state a cabinet can be flown.  It is another thing entirely to make a general statement which allows one to infer that hanging speakers can be a DIY project.  I'm sure you wouldn't encourage someone to take such a risk.  Just pointing this out for clarity for the OP.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Buck Roberts

• Church and H.O.W. Forums
    • Selah Media Productions
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

I do agree with what you stated...I was referring to flying powered cabinets versus passive cabinets from a standpoint of having to bring electricity to them, which was what the concern was of the original post. You are right in that flying cabinets is not a DIY project.
Buck Roberts, president
Selah Media Productions
www.selahmedia.net
sound/lighting/video
design & installation

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »

I heard the Ks with tracks of my choosing.  I was not at all impressed by the subs (neither low nor clean).  Save for a very strong spike in the upper mids/lower highs, the tops sounded pretty good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:45:25 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 24 queries.