ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DMX connector shielding  (Read 3414 times)

Scott Moon

DMX connector shielding
« on: September 16, 2013, 03:37:17 PM »

I recently made 40 some DMX 5 pin cables and did not put heat shrink over the cups on the connectors i am now being told that i need to redo all of the cables before they will use them i am looking for some backing to the fact that i have tested all of the connectors and they all pass signal and the fact that it is data and not power being sent down the lines.

Milt Hathaway

• http://www.fitzcosound.com
Re: DMX connector shielding
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 03:44:38 PM »

Doesn't matter what we say, only what your boss says. Unfortunately.
--
Milt
FitzCo Sound, Inc.
Midland, TX
http://www.fitzcosound.com

Scott Moon

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 03:47:20 PM »

Doesn't matter what we say, only what your boss says. Unfortunately.
i understand that but at the same time one its not my boss saying that and two i guess im looking for a good reasoning behind wasting more time when they work fine!

duane massey

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »

You rarely see heat shrink over the cups on XLR connectors unless the wire size makes the spacing extremely close. At least in my experience this is true. Others may have different experiences.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »

You rarely see heat shrink over the cups on XLR connectors unless the wire size makes the spacing extremely close. At least in my experience this is true. Others may have different experiences.

In mil-spec work seeing Hellerman sleeves is common*.  I suppose a properly specified heat shrink would do the job:  providing mechanical support to the wire, helping to prevent vibration-caused flexing of the conductor and eventual failure.

*at least back in the old days, when I salvaged military electronics for my component bin....
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

duane massey

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

No doubt, Tim, but I can't think of a commercially-made cable that uses anything over the pins now.
The newer XLR's have better strain reliefs, and I doubt I would ever use them now. I wired several hundred mil-spec circular connectors back in the day (37-60+ pins) and put heat shrink over every damn one, but the body had enough space (barely) to do this. I do NOT miss those days.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2013, 08:05:31 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.