ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help Inserting GEQ on Bus on DM2000 V2  (Read 9006 times)

Adam Bannister

Help Inserting GEQ on Bus on DM2000 V2
« on: September 13, 2013, 08:28:48 PM »

Hello. I'm attempting to use a bus on a DM2000 (Ver2.3 SW) to group a batch of identical mics, remove them from the stereo bus, set an GEQ for them and return them to an input on the console which is bussed to stereo. That way I can adjust one eq for all like mics i.e., lavs or handhelds, etc. I have set this all up, however when I go to the GEQ Edit page and insert it on to the proper bus and turn it on, the GEQ has no effect. I can even see the Pre/Post VUs be reduced if I lower the entire frequency band but still no audible effect. Thoughts or suggestions?

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Help Inserting GEQ on Bus on DM2000 V2
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 02:03:57 AM »

Why return the bus to a channel?

Just insert the GEQ on the bus and send the buss to L/R as per normal. Unassign the inputs from L/R and assign them to the bus.

Make sure you turn the insert on as well as the GEQ. See page 135 of the manual for details.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Adam Bannister

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 09:00:54 PM »

I want to return the bus to a channel so I can then route it to auxes (monitors). I JUST figured it out. Of course, you must have the bus parametric eq turned OFF! Then it works. Lol. Thanks!

Adam Bannister

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 05:49:09 PM »

Andy and anyone else,
I thought I had this figured out but alas no. Even if I unassign from L/R and assign the routing to the bus only, with EQ on, I get no audible EQing results. If I turn on the insert, the signal disappears completely. Perhaps I need to set the insert in and out? It seems counter-intuitive since on the Insert page (see manual pg 111), the GEQ is the last thing in the chain and the insert postions (pre/post-EQ, etc.) are well before it. It seems that it should be that if the GEQ is on and assigned to the Bus, it should just work, with the actual inserts acting separately. Thoughts?

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:48:18 PM »

Leaving aside all the returning the buss tot a console input does the graphic EQ work when the output is patched to a speaker?

Adam Bannister

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:38 PM »

Riley,
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not HEARD any eq effects, however as I mentioned in the first post I can lower the entire geq band and see the POST geq VU gain drop lower than the PRE. So signal is getting there and leaving but never returning back to L/R or a channel. Though, I do hear the change when I use the BUS parametric.

Joe Lepore

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 11:08:15 PM »

Riley,
Thanks for the reply. No, I have not HEARD any eq effects, however as I mentioned in the first post I can lower the entire geq band and see the POST geq VU gain drop lower than the PRE. So signal is getting there and leaving but never returning back to L/R or a channel. Though, I do hear the change when I use the BUS parametric.

I don't have the desk in front of me at the moment, but I remember this issue on the desk when trying to insert a GEQ on the stereo bus, then routing stereo to the matrixes. The EQ would happen after the matrix tap point.  I would guess the same thing is happening when you are trying to send it back to channels, but I would have thought it would work inserted directly in the bus.  Might have to take a look at the block diagram in the manual and see where exactly the insert vs. output taps are taken.

Great desk, but has some quirks like this.

**  ok .. I just took a peek at the manual - Page 111 "Using Inserts" shows the block diagrams for channel, bus, and matrix inserts.  While you can choose hardware insert points, the delay and GEQ is always after the post fader tap point.  They will only effect the physical hardware outputs, not the taps to other sections of the desk.

The way we always got around the stereo -> matrix thing was to physically send the signal out of the desk and loop it back into channels (knowing that adds a bit of latency that may need to be compensated for).

Adam Bannister

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 11:05:48 AM »

Joe,
Thanks for the reply. I agree with you about the block diagram and the GEQ being after the post fader tap point. However, if you are using the Bus To Stereo feature, the effects of the bus-inserted GEQ should be audible. The DM2000 Quick Start Guide (http://yamahacommercialaudiosystems.com/downloads/broch_pdfs/dm2000_quick_guide_en.pdf) states "The GEQ is always inserted post fader, and is separate from the standard insert point which can be used for internal (or external) Effects." This makes me believe that the bus channel Insert should be OFF, while the GEQ insert should be set to the desired Bus and turned on to function. However, it doesn't seem to.

Looking forward to more suggestions. Thanks.

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 11:14:21 AM »

It's been a long time since I used a DM2000, but I gave you the wrong information. Inserting a GEQ on a Bus will only affect the output of that Bus to a physical output. The point where the Bus sends to L/R or the Matrix is PRE the GEQ insert point.
You can however use the PEQ on the Bus to EQ the Bus and send that to L/R.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Adam Bannister

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 11:22:45 AM »

Andy,
Wow. That looks like a solid answer. Thank you. Bummer!

Adam

It's been a long time since I used a DM2000, but I gave you the wrong information. Inserting a GEQ on a Bus will only affect the output of that Bus to a physical output. The point where the Bus sends to L/R or the Matrix is PRE the GEQ insert point.
You can however use the PEQ on the Bus to EQ the Bus and send that to L/R.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 12:49:59 PM »

Andy,

Adam

IIRC the DM2k has RCA SPDIF in and out. Route the bus (or 2) out out the 2Tr digital, and return it from the 2Tr digital. connect the 2 RCA connectors with a short RCA cable. That gives you a physical output and input to get the graphic eq in the circuit.

Mac

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »

Thus my asking if you had actually tried to test this from the buss out to a speaker.  That would have had the graphic active.

Andy,

Adam

kristianjohnsen

• Lillehammer, Norway
    • Lillehammer Lyd og Lys
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

Thus my asking if you had actually tried to test this from the buss out to a speaker.  That would have had the graphic active.

Having struggeled with a DM 2000 doing just this, this past weekend, I can confirm that inserting graphics on mix buses that are in turn just feeding the LR internally in the mixer, does nothing to the audio, even if you're seeing it happen on the screen.

For my situation it was a pain because I wanted to EQ the mix buses with graphics.

But if I was using the buses to mix AND simulatneously feeding the stems to emote speakers, orsimialr, as well, it would have been cool to have a separate "system" EQ for each bus output!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 25 queries.