ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Comprehensive vga to hdmi  (Read 4290 times)

Kyle Malenfant

Comprehensive vga to hdmi
« on: September 01, 2013, 02:33:24 PM »

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
Re: Comprehensive vga to hdmi
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2013, 03:30:15 PM »

What are you trying to do?  One specification that stands out is that it appears limited to supporting 'video' resolutions and refresh rates (e.g. 480, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p all at 50/60Hz), the product specifications do not note it being compatible with 'graphics' resolutions such as 1024x768, 1366x768, 1280x800 and so on or of other refresh rates.  Since there is no mention of scaling or of EDID, you may have to supply it one of the compatible resolutions and refresh rates and have a display that is set to accept whatever that is.

Darren Douglas

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 04:16:29 PM »

Anyone have any experience with these?

http://m.bhphotovideo.com/mobile/detail?R=842267_REG&title=VGA++And%3b++Audio+to+HDMI+Converter

I think this is this model we use in our southern office boardroom.  And handled everything I threw at it OK. 

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

What are you trying to do

Normally we go VGA directly from a laptop to a screen, but in this case the screen doesn't have a VGA input. So essentially I need to mirror the displays from a VGA laptop to a screen with HDMI inputs for a PowerPoint presentation. Will this work, or is there a better solution?

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 05:31:17 PM »

Would a VGA to component adapter work for this application or will there be syncing issues or significant loss of image quality/crispness?

Darren Douglas

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2013, 04:46:57 AM »

Personally I'd get the hdmi box.  They're usually plug'n play and handle things very well.  vga > component, I think, will need you to match resolution and refresh.  Its just easier to let the box rescale your vga to the TV.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 01:55:57 PM »

Personally I'd get the hdmi box.  They're usually plug'n play and handle things very well.  vga > component, I think, will need you to match resolution and refresh.  Its just easier to let the box rescale your vga to the TV.
It could be a case of poor specifications and no related manual or other support information, but looking at the manufacturer's product page I do not see any indication of scaling while it seems rather limited in the resolutions and refresh rates supported.  It's most likely possible to set the laptop to work but depending on the laptop and display it might take some manual intervention to get the right settings.

I have no experience with this unit but here is a low cost option with some integrated scaling to either 720p/60 or 1080p/60 and if you look at the specifications it appears to accept a bit wider range of inputs.  VGA-to-HDMI converters with scalers from better known names like Atlona, Gefen, Kramer, etc. seem to be several hundred dollars.

Kyle Malenfant

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »

Thank you all for the helpful comments!  When I make the purchase I'll post back with the results.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 25 queries.