ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy twice the number of EON518s versus PRX718XLF? Make your case to dissuade me.  (Read 15627 times)

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA

Look man, these guys are right. Any of the XLF PRX boxes are just going to sound much better and about twice as loud as the EON, and take up half as much total weight and a reasonable per box weight. I've used both the latest EON and the 618XLF. The EON sub sounds 'fine', about all I could expect out of a sub at that price, but the PRX is a pro product. Sounds like a different class. The opinion here is unanimous, not sure what you can ask for besides that.

Well, there's nothing metaphysical about _this_.

Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA

The probability of two EON518S coupling indoors and producing a 6dB increase in average SPL and having less distortion than individual units running at the same SPL is very good, even if they are not within one wavelength of the frequency-weighting being measured.  There may be some diminishing return if they are not coupled and near each other in numbers higher than two, but that can be resolved easily by actually putting them next to each other.
Not within one wavelength but theoretically within 1/3 wavelength to avoid cancellation at any listener locations and within less than 1/4 wavelength to get more than the nominal +3dB summation of two random sources at all listener locations.

Spenser Hamilton

Why do people ask questions and then argue when they don't like the answer?
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

There is a large part of the population that only wants validation of their opinion. He is not really asking a question. What he is really saying is, tell me how smart I am that I reached this conclusion all on my own.

Then when the community tells him otherwise he gets defensive.

Sucks for him. But in a way it also sucks for me, because guys like this end up providing the shitty PA's that I have to use night after night. I can't tell you how many times I've walked in to a club to see somebodies "better idea" of a PA system.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

That's why we've been blessed with the "ignore all messages from this user" option.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.

I agree, it is silly. I sympathize with the urge to seek validation of pre-existing beliefs that are not well justified, though. I fell victim to this when I was first here, it is very easy to justify something in your mind when other people are telling you it is OK - so people seek that scenario. In real life and on the forum I now try to consider how what I want others to answer affects how I form questions of them. Another thing on my personal list of weird real life Internet forum lessons...

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA

If he's my competition, then yes - he should buy EONs.  My PRXs will spank him right out of a job.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

sam saponaro

Knowing nothing of either cab.
If 4x eons have same cost and Db as 2 PRX. PRX having lower bass with the only advantage being each eon is 20lb lighter. Wouldn't you take the extra 1/2 octave,deal with the 20lbs and walk to the truck 2 less times?? And why is total box volume a concern,I allways thought is was quality of driver with the correct box around it?
And besides think of concerts would they use 2x inferior gear to get to the same result,just to save weight?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 03:59:23 AM by sam saponaro »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 25 queries.