ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy twice the number of EON518s versus PRX718XLF? Make your case to dissuade me.  (Read 15624 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

None of the shit in bold matters.  Really.

Here's the deal.  The PRX get louder, go lower, and sound better doing it.  Each PRX is roughly double the output of the EON and goes almost a half octave lower, something the EON can't do no matter what. 

As for transportation, venue, etc.  Everything has a cost.  Everything.  Even just sitting there taking up space.

You seem to have posted with your mind already made up.  Why the trolling?

Harman International owns JBL *and* Crown.  Even if Crown's name isn't on the box, a piece or 2 of their technology is on the inside...

And if it hasn't been clearly explained yet, 1 PRX-XLF sub is just as loud as 2 Eon subs. Plus it has the benefit of playing a half octave lower.

Why would you buy inferior subs again?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Benjamin Goulart

None of the shit in bold matters.  Really.

Here's the deal.  The PRX get louder, go lower, and sound better doing it.  Each PRX is roughly double the output of the EON and goes almost a half octave lower, something the EON can't do no matter what. 

As for transportation, venue, etc.  Everything has a cost.  Everything.  Even just sitting there taking up space.

You seem to have posted with your mind already made up.  Why the trolling?

Harman International owns JBL *and* Crown.  Even if Crown's name isn't on the box, a piece or 2 of their technology is on the inside...

I’m trying to give one of the options a fair shake in a discussion that might have a tendency to move away from rational facts.  It certainly moved towards calling me a liar and a troll in a hurry, though.  That’s welcoming.  I did not have my mind made up.  I still don’t.  A lighter sub is appealing.  I can lift 65 pounds without a problem.  I’m unable to deal with hundred pounds in large bulky configurations easily.  I might be willing to deal with 81 pounds if the sound and construction is superior.  If the results are roughly equivalent in output and sound quality, though, which is certainly possible based on the prior facts I had that are devoid of biases against intra-brandings, then I would spend the money on the lighter form factor.  If the PRX is definitely superior quality sound & construction, including at high volumes compared to 2X the EONs in the same situation, with facts to back it up, then I will deal with the additional weight of lifting the individual subs.  But it’s pretty clear there’s a lot of bias and attitude that one needs to weed through to get to the facts on any of these audio forums… whether those biases may be justified or not.  I’m not going to spend my money just based on emotionally-charged comments.

And if it hasn't been clearly explained yet, 1 PRX-XLF sub is just as loud as 2 Eon subs. Plus it has the benefit of playing a half octave lower.

Why would you buy inferior subs again?

Lower weight per sub, larger cab volume size with multiple subs, and lower SPL per cab necessary for the same output (which may allow for lower distortion) are the only potential reasons to consider the EONs.

The XLF can’t quite play a half octave lower, but I understand what you’re saying.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 01:47:36 AM by Benjamin Goulart »

Cailen Waddell

Lower weight per sub, larger cab volume size with multiple subs, and lower SPL per cab necessary for the same output (which may allow for lower distortion) are the only potential reasons to consider the EONs.

The XLF can’t quite play a half octave lower, but I understand what you’re saying.

Why do you keep mentioning cabinet volume?  I don't understand how that matters to the discussion.  I also don't see how, if a cabinet is being run within its limits, lower spl per cabinet is an advantage. It just means you need more and doesn't mean a thing in regard to distortion. 

Additionally you seem to want people to prove a negative, that the prx isn't better.  You can try to prove the eon is better and you can try to prove the prx is better but you can not prove a negative.

One argument that hasn't been made about the prx is that they are a new production run.  Given that jblmis going away from neodymium due to rising cost and limited availability, how long do you think replacement drivers will be available for the eons vs the prx.

The argument seems to break down like this:

2 eon more or less equal one prx except the prx goes lower.  You would rather carry 60# twice than 80# once, and apparently don't have a hand truck to move your subs or a ramp to load your vehicle.  You have unlimited truck space because you don't have a problem carrying twice the volume in subs.  You aren't concerned about the lower half octave you would be missing.  The choice seems clear.  Many of these points are what would swing most people to the prx but not you in YOUR situation. That's fine. Enjoy the subs.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

I’m trying to give one of the options a fair shake in a discussion that might have a tendency to move away from rational facts.  It certainly moved towards calling me a liar and a troll in a hurry, though.  That’s welcoming.  I did not have my mind made up.  I still don’t.  A lighter sub is appealing.  I can lift 65 pounds without a problem.  I’m unable to deal with hundred pounds in large bulky configurations easily.  I might be willing to deal with 81 pounds if the sound and construction is superior.  If the results are roughly equivalent in output and sound quality, though, which is certainly possible based on the prior facts I had that are devoid of biases against intra-brandings, then I would spend the money on the lighter form factor.  If the PRX is definitely superior quality sound & construction, including at high volumes compared to 2X the EONs in the same situation, with facts to back it up, then I will deal with the additional weight of lifting the individual subs.  But it’s pretty clear there’s a lot of bias and attitude that one needs to weed through to get to the facts on any of these audio forums… whether those biases may be justified or not.  I’m not going to spend my money just based on emotionally-charged comments.

Ben, here's the deal... you come here asking for a comparison and objective facts.  You hurl down the gauntlet "Make your case to dissuade me.."  Now when you don't like the answers and are called out for trolling (look up the word, we're not fishing here) you take umbrage.  Fine.  Whatever.

You don't want to hear the voices that challenge you predetermined opinion.  Why did you post in the first place?

Finally, together the folks that have responded to your thread have close to 150 years of experience in professional audio, many of us working full time in the industry for decades.  While you are not obligated to agree with us, I do expect you and anyone else to carefully consider your challenges, particularly when they involve technical issues you clearly do not comprehend and business considerations you blithely ignore.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography

Ben, here's the deal... you come here asking for a comparison and objective facts.  You hurl down the gauntlet "Make your case to dissuade me.."  Now when you don't like the answers and are called out for trolling (look up the word, we're not fishing here) you take umbrage.  Fine.  Whatever.

You don't want to hear the voices that challenge you predetermined opinion.  Why did you post in the first place?

Finally, together the folks that have responded to your thread have close to 150 years of experience in professional audio, many of us working full time in the industry for decades.  While you are not obligated to agree with us, I do expect you and anyone else to carefully consider your challenges, particularly when they involve technical issues you clearly do not comprehend and business considerations you blithely ignore.

Not only that, but I have used both of these subs in question and THERE IS NO COMPARISON. The PRX is as close to a real big-boy sub you can buy from the MI market. The Eon sub is a toy bought by know-nothing DJ's that shop at guitar center.  So, if cabinet volume means that much to you then, by all means, buy 4 eons. It doesn't matter to me a whit....
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

...technical issues you clearly do not comprehend and business considerations you blithely blitheringly ignore.

Edit:  spelling
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Dennis Goh

1)I might be willing to deal with 81 pounds if the sound and construction is superior. 

2)If the results are roughly equivalent in output and sound quality, though, which is certainly possible based on the prior facts I had that are devoid of biases against intra-brandings, then I would spend the money on the lighter form factor. 

3)If the PRX is definitely superior quality sound & construction, including at high volumes compared to 2X the EONs in the same situation, with facts to back it up, then I will deal with the additional weight of lifting the individual subs. 

4)But it’s pretty clear there’s a lot of bias and attitude that one needs to weed through to get to the facts on any of these audio forums… whether those biases may be justified or not.  I’m not going to spend my money just based on emotionally-charged comments.

5)Lower weight per sub, larger cab volume size with multiple subs, and lower SPL per cab necessary for the same output (which may allow for lower distortion) are the only potential reasons to consider the EONs.

6)The XLF can’t quite play a half octave lower, but I understand what you’re saying.

I am just a below x2 average joe doing some small scale rental for parties, do not even own prx series till today due to the price.
Previously was comparing eons 518 with 618xlf, bout 3 weeks ago was asked to go down jbl's distro to listen to the 718xlf as the agents wants to earn the commission.

1)Sound wise on prx series sub, (618xlf or 718xlf) really sounds better, & it gives out lower frequency better then Eons 518s.(I was also considering eons too, due to cheaper price-tag as i hv $$ issue).
Construction wise - To me, they about there, unless i ripped it apart to see internal bracing.

2)Sound quality wise, PRX is better>> As for output, if you play them soft, prx still gets to hear "more" deeper bass. If you play them loud, prx gets louder &  sound nicer with the rumble.

3)I do not have facts to show you as i never record it down when i test them myself.
(I believe you, getting the sub, will turn them up. If not; it defeat the purpose of the xlf sub that used 1500w "Not sure if that number is peak/program or continuous", if not using them loud, might as well get some computer sub and call it a day, No?).
*I do not know if 1pc 718xlf sounds as loud as 2pc eon518, but 1 pc 718xlf is louder then eon518 at same setting at both plate amp's back, only xlr is changed & songs repeated.

4)Maybe you can try testing your intended purchase with other products that are recommended with 30Hz~35Hz content, then you will know why PRX is better. Yours ears will then tell you if those are facts.

5)Maybe the FS of the said driver of "2278G" from 718xlf is lower then the driver "268G" used in eon518s, thus able to play lower frequency better.
OR; the internal crossover is playing tricks.
Distortion-If all are at their max power, i do not know the xmax nor the limits of each driver, BUT; you can let 3 of the sub (eon518/618xlf/718xlf) to bottom out also, no problem.

6) Half a octave or not, me a noob does not know, but its does sound better with deeper bass & nice rumble. i trust my ears.

Just a thought; if $ is not a concern of yours; go get Danley or built Lab horns, play louder & deeper/lower.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 10:41:46 PM by Dennis Goh »

Benjamin Goulart

Never said I didn't care about deep bass.  And while you cannot metaphysically prove a negative, one has to assume there is not going to be a significant difference between two roughly similar things until there is sufficient reason to think otherwise.  Otherwise one must assume they are enough the same once one accounts for such obviously differing issues as total wattage (i.e. twice the lower wattage units).   Saying "EON sucks" or "EON is for amateurs" or "you're a troll" doesn't make much of a convincing case.  In fact, it tends to undercut your arguments.  If you know anything about engineering challenges, then you should know there’s often a possibility of achieving amazing results on a cheaper, more compact, or lower-weight requirement.  And yeah, the specs do not indicate quite even half an octave more extension, and with how multiple subs interact to sometimes smooth frequency response (there are actual tests that prove this can happen), I had to assume that improved response with more EONs was a possibility that statements about the 1 EON being inferior to 1 PRX was not accounting for.  Across multiple forums, with some pretty good specs (still not complete info), and some very generous tests some have said they've run, it looks to me like half the PRXs than EONs is very possibly the better-sounding route.  The more reasoned arguments are compelling that it’s likely worth the extra weight.

Why do you keep mentioning cabinet volume?  I don't understand how that matters to the discussion.  I also don't see how, if a cabinet is being run within its limits, lower spl per cabinet is an advantage. It just means you need more and doesn't mean a thing in regard to distortion. 

Additionally you seem to want people to prove a negative, that the prx isn't better.  You can try to prove the eon is better and you can try to prove the prx is better but you can not prove a negative.

One argument that hasn't been made about the prx is that they are a new production run.  Given that jblmis going away from neodymium due to rising cost and limited availability, how long do you think replacement drivers will be available for the eons vs the prx.

The argument seems to break down like this:

2 eon more or less equal one prx except the prx goes lower.  You would rather carry 60# twice than 80# once, and apparently don't have a hand truck to move your subs or a ramp to load your vehicle.  You have unlimited truck space because you don't have a problem carrying twice the volume in subs.  You aren't concerned about the lower half octave you would be missing.  The choice seems clear.  Many of these points are what would swing most people to the prx but not you in YOUR situation. That's fine. Enjoy the subs.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:35:38 PM by Benjamin Goulart »

Benjamin Goulart

I am just a below x2 average joe doing some small scale rental for parties, do not even own prx series till today due to the price.
Previously was comparing eons 518 with 618xlf, bout 3 weeks ago was asked to go down jbl's distro to listen to the 718xlf as the agents wants to earn the commission.

1)Sound wise on prx series sub, (618xlf or 718xlf) really sounds better, & it gives out lower frequency better then Eons 518s.(I was also considering eons too, due to cheaper price-tag as i hv $$ issue).
Construction wise - To me, they about there, unless i ripped it apart to see internal bracing.

2)Sound quality wise, PRX is better>> As for output, if you play them soft, prx still gets to hear "more" deeper bass. If you play them loud, prx gets louder &  sound nicer with the rumble.

3)I do not have facts to show you as i never record it down when i test them myself.
(I believe you, getting the sub, will turn them up. If not; it defeat the purpose of the xlf sub that used 1500w "Not sure if that number is peak/program or continuous", if not using them loud, might as well get some computer sub and call it a day, No?).
*I do not know if 1pc 718xlf sounds as loud as 2pc eon518, but 1 pc 718xlf is louder then eon518 at same setting at both plate amp's back, only xlr is changed & songs repeated.

4)Maybe you can try testing your intended purchase with other products that are recommended with 30Hz~35Hz content, then you will know why PRX is better. Yours ears will then tell you if those are facts.

5)Maybe the FS of the said driver of "2278G" from 718xlf is lower then the driver "268G" used in eon518s, thus able to play lower frequency better.
OR; the internal crossover is playing tricks.
Distortion-If all are at their max power, i do not know the xmax nor the limits of each driver, BUT; you can let 3 of the sub (eon518/618xlf/718xlf) to bottom out also, no problem.

6) Half a octave or not, me a noob does not know, but its does sound better with deeper bass & nice rumble. i trust my ears.

Just a thought; if $ is not a concern of yours; go get Danley or built Lab horns, play louder & deeper/lower.

Doesn't weight per sub become a horrendous problem with the Lab subs? 180 to 300 pounds each?  I have a difficult time just lifting a bulky 100lbs into a vehicle.  It seems like I'd need a crew of three or a ramp to deal with a Lab.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 05:37:14 PM by Benjamin Goulart »

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.

Look man, these guys are right. Any of the XLF PRX boxes are just going to sound much better and about twice as loud as the EON, and take up half as much total weight and a reasonable per box weight. I've used both the latest EON and the 618XLF. The EON sub sounds 'fine', about all I could expect out of a sub at that price, but the PRX is a pro product. Sounds like a different class. The opinion here is unanimous, not sure what you can ask for besides that.

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: Buy twice the number of EON518s versus PRX718XLF? Make your case to dissuade me.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 06:57:09 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 25 queries.