ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Buy twice the number of EON518s versus PRX718XLF? Make your case to dissuade me.  (Read 15626 times)

Benjamin Goulart

Comparing the 18 inch powered ones, is the top PRX 718xlf sub really worth more than twice the EON518s sub?  For the price these are going for, you can get twice the number of EONs that are easier to carry and end up having larger box volume in pairs per the PRX.  The EONs also have neodymium magnets while the newest JBL PRX has regressed to ferrites.  How much better construction could the PRX really be to make it worth it?  And between the added box volume of two EONs AND the allowance to run each at a lower, less distorted wattage level, then isn't the PRX pricing unreasonable?  If you really think going the PRX route is worth the price & weight increase and halving of box volume per dollar, make a convincing case for it.

Cailen Waddell

Eon has a 42 to 100 hz plus/minus 3 dB

PRX has 35 to 87.

Eon Max spl is 129 dB

Prx max spl is 134 dB

So the PRX goes deeper and is about as loud as 2 EOn cabinets. If I was buying it would be worth it just to carry half as many cabinets.

Two eons is 130 lbs. one prx is 80 lbs.

Anyway, I suppose this means I can read a spec sheet... We're you looking for something else?

Benjamin Goulart

I wouldn't be carrying both EONs at the same time.  Its lower weight would be a benefit.

The box volumes are also comparable, so from a pure physics standpoint two EONs would have nearly double the box volume.  Isn't that good?

I don't trust response specs on speakers.  I find they're usually exaggerated, especially on new models that are now using inferior components to last year's model and there's an obvious incentive to try to justify the new model.  Might go deeper.  Might not.  Either way, I will convolve/EQ the system.

Either way I will also spend about the same amount of money.  Car space isn't much of an issue, but carrying weight might be.  Are 2 PRXs going to get louder and sound better quality-wise than four or five EONs for the same price?

Eon has a 42 to 100 hz plus/minus 3 dB

PRX has 35 to 87.

Eon Max spl is 129 dB

Prx max spl is 134 dB

So the PRX goes deeper and is about as loud as 2 EOn cabinets. If I was buying it would be worth it just to carry half as many cabinets.

Two eons is 130 lbs. one prx is 80 lbs.

Anyway, I suppose this means I can read a spec sheet... We're you looking for something else?

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ

I wouldn't be carrying both EONs at the same time.  Its lower weight would be a benefit.

The box volumes are also comparable, so from a pure physics standpoint two EONs would have nearly double the box volume.  Isn't that good?

I don't trust response specs on speakers.  I find they're usually exaggerated, especially on new models that are now using inferior components to last year's model and there's an obvious incentive to try to justify the new model.  Might go deeper.  Might not.  Either way, I will convolve/EQ the system.

Either way I will also spend about the same amount of money.  Car space isn't much of an issue, but carrying weight might be.  Are 2 PRXs going to get louder and sound better quality-wise than four or five EONs for the same price?

Lower quantity of higher quality wins (basically) every time in audio.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's

You only gain volume when the boxes are pointed at the same space and the frequencies are of course in line with each other. In other words you will not see a 3db boost at all frequencies when you put two EON's per side up. You could however increase your coverage area. Suffice to say the PRX line will sound better out of the gate, produce more volume on it's own. The only trade off that you will experience by going with the PRX is that you will have less coverage than the 4 EON's would produce.

I would go for quality over quantity myself. But your business model will be the ultimate factor. If you pull more low end business and need more speakers to cover the area, then the EON's would be a good investment. Conversely, if you need to cater to a higher end client that will pay more and you don't need 4 boxes to cover your general area, then the PRX may net you some more pull for compensation? You have to follow the money. I have a Behringer powered mixer that was $300 bucks. It is my busiest mixer and has paid for itself 20 times over and continues to just make me more money. My Yamaha LS9-32 doesn't go out as much and is going to take a bit longer to pay for itself and generate profit. I have a set of first gen PRX's and theyt too have made me lots of money. I got them 6 years ago and can say that they have paid for themselves many many times.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

You only gain volume when the boxes are pointed at the same space and the frequencies are of course in line with each other. In other words you will not see a 3db boost at all frequencies when you put two EON's per side up. You could however increase your coverage area.

You're mixing up tops and subs.  The OP is talking subs, you are lost somewhere in between.

To the OP:

You are not grasping the difference in output.  If the specs are accurate (or comparable, which is likely in that both products are JBL), the 7dB difference in the SPL rating means that the PRX's are putting out TWICE THE SOUND of the EON's.

If you need a small sub or a pair of small subs, grab a pair of EON's and use them for the light hauls.  But if you want serious SPL out of your subs and don't want to wrangle twice as many boxes, go with the PRX's.  They'll take up less room to haul and less space to deploy.

Besides...EON's suck.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

Benjamin Goulart

You only gain volume when the boxes are pointed at the same space and the frequencies are of course in line with each other. In other words you will not see a 3db boost at all frequencies when you put two EON's per side up. You could however increase your coverage area. Suffice to say the PRX line will sound better out of the gate, produce more volume on it's own. The only trade off that you will experience by going with the PRX is that you will have less coverage than the 4 EON's would produce.

I would go for quality over quantity myself. But your business model will be the ultimate factor. If you pull more low end business and need more speakers to cover the area, then the EON's would be a good investment. Conversely, if you need to cater to a higher end client that will pay more and you don't need 4 boxes to cover your general area, then the PRX may net you some more pull for compensation? You have to follow the money. I have a Behringer powered mixer that was $300 bucks. It is my busiest mixer and has paid for itself 20 times over and continues to just make me more money. My Yamaha LS9-32 doesn't go out as much and is going to take a bit longer to pay for itself and generate profit. I have a set of first gen PRX's and theyt too have made me lots of money. I got them 6 years ago and can say that they have paid for themselves many many times.

The probability of two EON518S coupling indoors and producing a 6dB increase in average SPL and having less distortion than individual units running at the same SPL is very good, even if they are not within one wavelength of the frequency-weighting being measured.  There may be some diminishing return if they are not coupled and near each other in numbers higher than two, but that can be resolved easily by actually putting them next to each other.  And there's no option to spread the PRX's out if half the number are purchased of them at twice the price.  I understand that you guys have serious hang-ups about the EONs, I would just like to hear specifics about how the new PRXs are actually better than twice the number of EONs.  How are the woofers better?  How are the plywood cabinets better?  Are the amps better beyond just the watt multiples?  JBL dropped Crown.  I already know the EONs have higher magnetism-per-mass magnets, lighter cabs (65lbs versus 81lbs), and would be double the cab volume with twice the number of EONs over PRX's.  How are the PRX's so superior that double the number of EONs is not worth it when space (both in vehicle and venues) is not a consideration?  Someone mentioned on another forum that the EON voice coil is only 2".  Anyone know what the PRX coil size is?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 07:44:05 PM by Benjamin Goulart »

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

The probability of two EON518S coupling indoors and producing a 6dB increase in average SPL and having less distortion than individual units running at the same SPL is very good, even if they are not within one wavelength of the frequency-weighting being measured.  There may be some diminishing return if they are not coupled and near each other in numbers higher than two, but that can be resolved easily by actually putting them next to each other.  And there's no option to spread the PRX's out if half the number are purchased of them at twice the price.  I understand that you guys have serious hang-ups about the EONs, I would just like to hear specifics about how the new PRXs are actually better than twice the number of EONs.  How are the woofers better?  How are the plywood cabinets better?  Are the amps better beyond just the watt multiples?  JBL dropped Crown.  I already know the EONs have higher magnetism-per-mass magnets, lighter cabs (65lbs versus 81lbs), and would be double the cab volume with twice the number of EONs over PRX's.  How are the PRX's so superior that double the number of EONs is not worth it when space (both in vehicle and venues) is not a consideration?  Someone mentioned on another forum that the EON voice coil is only 2".  Anyone know what the PRX coil size is?

PRX plays lower, gets twice as loud and sounds better. 

That's all.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

The probability of two EON518S coupling indoors and producing a 6dB increase in average SPL and having less distortion than individual units running at the same SPL is very good, even if they are not within one wavelength of the frequency-weighting being measured.  There may be some diminishing return if they are not coupled and near each other in numbers higher than two, but that can be resolved easily by actually putting them next to each other.  And there's no option to spread the PRX's out if half the number are purchased of them at twice the price.  I understand that you guys have serious hang-ups about the EONs, I would just like to hear specifics about how the new PRXs are actually better than twice the number of EONs.  How are the woofers better?  How are the plywood cabinets better?  Are the amps better beyond just the watt multiples? JBL dropped Crown.  I already know the EONs have higher magnetism-per-mass magnets, lighter cabs (65lbs versus 81lbs), and would be double the cab volume with twice the number of EONs over PRX's.  How are the PRX's so superior that double the number of EONs is not worth it when space (both in vehicle and venues) is not a consideration? Someone mentioned on another forum that the EON voice coil is only 2".  Anyone know what the PRX coil size is?

None of the shit in bold matters.  Really.

Here's the deal.  The PRX get louder, go lower, and sound better doing it.  Each PRX is roughly double the output of the EON and goes almost a half octave lower, something the EON can't do no matter what. 

As for transportation, venue, etc.  Everything has a cost.  Everything.  Even just sitting there taking up space.

You seem to have posted with your mind already made up.  Why the trolling?

Harman International owns JBL *and* Crown.  Even if Crown's name isn't on the box, a piece or 2 of their technology is on the inside...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth

None of the shit in bold matters.  Really.

Here's the deal.  The PRX get louder, go lower, and sound better doing it.  Each PRX is roughly double the output of the EON and goes almost a half octave lower, something the EON can't do no matter what. 

As for transportation, venue, etc.  Everything has a cost.  Everything.  Even just sitting there taking up space.

You seem to have posted with your mind already made up.  Why the trolling?

Harman International owns JBL *and* Crown.  Even if Crown's name isn't on the box, a piece or 2 of their technology is on the inside...

Aw, c'mon man.  The newb just wants his ticket punched...

Let's just say he's right and let him waste his time and money.

Iggy List grows.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 25 queries.