ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rack tom and Floor tom mics  (Read 15172 times)

James Puckett

Rack tom and Floor tom mics
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:47:03 PM »

I currently have EV 468 and SM57 mics for both rack and floor toms. I use one kind or the other. The EV mics have not been hit....yet, (they don't look they will survive a hit).

I plan on keeping the EV's for now, just looking for suggestions on other great sounding mic's that can take a hit or three.

Price range..... up to 150 each

Even drummers with control can miss.

thanks
james

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
Re: Rack tom and Floor tom mics
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 12:57:56 PM »

I currently have EV 468 and SM57 mics for both rack and floor toms. I use one kind or the other. The EV mics have not been hit....yet, (they don't look they will survive a hit).

I plan on keeping the EV's for now, just looking for suggestions on other great sounding mic's that can take a hit or three.

thanks
james

I like the rubber mount of the Senn e604/904. The 604 is in your price range.

On occasion you will run into a drummer that you can't use the rim mount on. I have as a last resort clipped them on the bottom of the drum and flipped the polarity on the board.
Jay Barracato

Scott Harris

• Subwoofer forum
  • Worcester, MA
    • Running Sound
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »

I was in the same situation 2 years ago and I kept flip flopping between the e604/904 vs d2/d4.  I'm a small 1 man operation and I wanted the smaller pack & quicker setup of the 604, but I was going d6 on the kick and it seemed local drummers were more aware of the Audix D series.  I ended up with the Audix 5 piece kit and haven't looked back.  I'm not not sure which one actually sounds better as I have not A/B'd them, but most drummers drool all over the Audix D series when I pull them out.  I think I made the right decision for my situation but yours may be different.

James Puckett

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 02:20:46 PM »

I was in the same situation 2 years ago and I kept flip flopping between the e604/904 vs d2/d4.  I'm a small 1 man operation and I wanted the smaller pack & quicker setup of the 604, but I was going d6 on the kick and it seemed local drummers were more aware of the Audix D series.  I ended up with the Audix 5 piece kit and haven't looked back.  I'm not not sure which one actually sounds better as I have not A/B'd them, but most drummers drool all over the Audix D series when I pull them out.  I think I made the right decision for my situation but yours may be different.

Scott

I also have D6's and D112 for Kick and i5 for Snare.
Been reading user reviews old and new (good and bad) on both the D2 and D4 mics for rack and floor toms, the same for the e604, 904?.
I use my own drum set for mic testing (wife + a drum stick), 3 rack toms 13,14,15. 2 floor toms 16,18. 1 bass drum 24x14.....9 cymbals.

Due to the size of the i5, I find it tough to place *out of the way* on some kits, mine included.

Granted, I have a lot to learn.....I just don't want the worry of mic's getting killed by drummers.

james

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 02:24:14 PM »

Scott

I also have D6's and D112 for Kick and i5 for Snare.
Been reading user reviews old and new (good and bad) on both the D2 and D4 mics for rack and floor toms, the same for the e604, 904?.
I use my own drum set for mic testing (wife + a drum stick), 3 rack toms 13,14,15. 2 floor toms 16,18. 1 bass drum 24x14.....9 cymbals.

Due to the size of the i5, I find it tough to place *out of the way* on some kits, mine included.

Granted, I have a lot to learn.....I just don't want the worry of mic's getting killed by drummers.

james

James,

I have said this before but if you ever want gigs bigger than momma's basement, you need to learn to set up and play your kit with enough room for the mics.

The biggest problems I have is with drummers who place their cymbals just a couple of inches above the back of the toms.
Jay Barracato

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:02 PM »

The Audix D2s and D4s can take plenty of hits and sound great. That said, mics getting hit is not generally a concern for me personally. I personally prefer more compact mics for toms and such. I don't know how fragile the Beyer TG-C58c and 57c's are, but they great sounding mics, extremely low profile, and have a good mounting system. You can squeeze them into a lot of places that the even the Audix mics (which are short relative to a SM57 or i5) won't fit. And they're tiny.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/tg-d58c.html
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Alan Bonk

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 07:07:49 PM »

I use audix d2's on my rack and floor and really like them.  I know they say the d2's arent the best for floor toms but I play a 14" floor and really like the sound.  I'll probably switch the floor to a d4 at some point but I'm not in a huge hurry. 

The rejection on the audix mics is awesome!  My tom gates only open when I hit them. 

John Chiara

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »

I use audix d2's on my rack and floor and really like them.  I know they say the d2's arent the best for floor toms but I play a 14" floor and really like the sound.  I'll probably switch the floor to a d4 at some point but I'm not in a huge hurry. 

The rejection on the audix mics is awesome!  My tom gates only open when I hit them.

I have problems with the D-clip gooseneck pieces not holding the clips from twisting. My snare mics are always twisted about 90* after a set of hard playing.

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 08:45:53 PM »

I have problems with the D-clip gooseneck pieces not holding the clips from twisting. My snare mics are always twisted about 90* after a set of hard playing.

I always use a stand on snare, but I know what you mean about them turning.  Loctite will fix that issue.  Or Channel-locks. ;)

I have 4 D2's and 4 D4's.  I use D2's on smaller toms, D4's on bigger ones (like a floor tom).  The D4 has a much deeper sound than the D2.  Occasionally I'll have somebody working for me that doesn't realize there's a difference and a D2 will end up on a floor tom and a D4 will end up on a rack tom.  I can tell immediately.  A D2 sounds thin on a floor tom, and a D4 has too much meat for a small rack tom.  You can fix it with a fair amount of EQ, but it's better to put the right mic on the right thing.

Every once in a while I run into a rim that just won't take a clip of any kind.  I think it was a cheap Ludwig kit last time.  Audix mics can easily be put on a stand with the Audix clips or a Shure condenser clip.  I think the Sennheiser's can be put on a 3/8" stand, or used with a 5/8"-3/8" adapter.

All of the mics in question are available for under $150 each if you buy them used.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Rick Powell

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »

All of the mics in question are available for under $150 each if you buy them used.

Shoot, I just missed on an ebay auction for a D2 that came in under $50.

Mike Sullivan

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2013, 12:46:09 AM »

I second the D-series mics.  Buddy of mine who does a lot of regional acts favors them greatly (D2 and D4 on toms and D6 on kick) with the occasional i5 use on amps.  I use the DP7 kit with an extra D2 (about to pick up another D2 and D4 because a couple bands I will be working with have 5-6 toms on their kit.  For the price, the Audix mics cant be beat.  They are worth every $$ IMHO.
When you're reading a topic, and the word "Danley" comes up...RUN!!!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2013, 10:22:49 AM »

thanks
james

In the decades since we quite doing bar bands, we've replaced exactly *2* of our 18ea. AT35 clip on condensers due to drum stick hits.  Not working with fools goes a long way to keeping your gear nice, and the difference is not small.  We spent much more on small item maintenance when doing gigs that paid small - mics, stands, cables, monitor grilles.  Raising fees made many of the "expensive" clients go away, to be replaced by folks who paid more and broke/stole less.

That said, I'm a big fan of the small AT clip on condensers for drum.  The first time I heard the AT35 was at a gig with Phil Ehart, playing with KANSAS.  Stunning reproduction of a well tuned and played kit.  Even the cheaper PRO series sound good.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matt Edmonds

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

My favorite is the cad m179. Put it in hyper cardioid mode with the pad engaged. Set them just above the outside of the rim angled slightly down towards the center of the head and watch out. They sound killer. At least IMHO. You will pick up a little from the backside. So watch out for that, but overall they really do sound great. And you can get a 3 pack for $399. At least last time I looked.

Greg_Cameron

• Cameron Pro Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2013, 02:03:36 PM »

The D-Clip is just the clip that goes on a D-Vice, D-Clamp, or D-Flex mount. Which mount are you referring to?
"Procrastinators of the world - contemplate uniting!"

Cameron Pro Audio

Tomm Williams

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »

Another mic I like very much is the EV 308 for toms. IME it does anything the 57 can do but better. I prefer their sound over my 604's but usually use the 604's just for convenience in mounting.

James Puckett

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 02:42:35 PM »

I always use a stand on snare, but I know what you mean about them turning.  Loctite will fix that issue.  Or Channel-locks. ;)

I have 4 D2's and 4 D4's.  I use D2's on smaller toms, D4's on bigger ones (like a floor tom).  The D4 has a much deeper sound than the D2.  Occasionally I'll have somebody working for me that doesn't realize there's a difference and a D2 will end up on a floor tom and a D4 will end up on a rack tom.  I can tell immediately.  A D2 sounds thin on a floor tom, and a D4 has too much meat for a small rack tom.  You can fix it with a fair amount of EQ, but it's better to put the right mic on the right thing.

Every once in a while I run into a rim that just won't take a clip of any kind.  I think it was a cheap Ludwig kit last time.  Audix mics can easily be put on a stand with the Audix clips or a Shure condenser clip.  I think the Sennheiser's can be put on a 3/8" stand, or used with a 5/8"-3/8" adapter.

Brian
Which mic do you use for snare and what clamp?
james

James Puckett

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 03:51:19 PM »

The Audix D2s and D4s can take plenty of hits and sound great. That said, mics getting hit is not generally a concern for me personally. I personally prefer more compact mics for toms and such. I don't know how fragile the Beyer TG-C58c and 57c's are, but they great sounding mics, extremely low profile, and have a good mounting system. You can squeeze them into a lot of places that the even the Audix mics (which are short relative to a SM57 or i5) won't fit. And they're tiny.

http://north-america.beyerdynamic.com/shop/tg-d58c.html

Greg
Do you have pricing on this Beyer mic?
Is there a pic or drawing of how it's mounting system works?
I checked the link and didn't see it.
thanks
james

James Puckett

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 04:08:22 PM »

Thanks Brian,

Where should I look for the best prices on (3) D2's, (2) D4's and (6) DVice clamps?

james

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 04:40:11 PM »

Thanks Brian,

Where should I look for the best prices on (3) D2's, (2) D4's and (6) DVice clamps?

james

James,
The online stores are going to mostly show MAPP pricing. Dealing directly with a dealer you can often beat that.

I would pick one of the members of this board who is a dealer and start to develop a relationship. Having a service and support network will save you someday.
Jay Barracato

James Puckett

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »

James,
The online stores are going to mostly show MAPP pricing. Dealing directly with a dealer you can often beat that.

I would pick one of the members of this board who is a dealer and start to develop a relationship. Having a service and support network will save you someday.

Thanks Jay,
Can do, will do.
james

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2013, 05:28:17 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.