ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Uh, WOW?? New wash fixture maybe....  (Read 4545 times)

duane massey

Uh, WOW?? New wash fixture maybe....
« on: September 09, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »

http://www.americandj.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ItemNumber=2205&MainId=2&Category=L.E.D.

430 watt LED matrix thingie. I'm sure others are also in the works from other companies.
Duane Massey
Technician, musician, stubborn old guy
Houston, Texas

Cailen Waddell

Re: Uh, WOW?? New wash fixture maybe....
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 11:37:19 PM »

http://www.chauvetlighting.com/nexus-4x4.html

http://www.elationlighting.com/PressDetail.aspx?ID=259

Yup. Adj is not late to the game but is certainly jumping on a bandwagon that already exists.

duane massey

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 12:06:41 AM »

Thanks, Cailen. The Chauvet "list" is $ 1959, "street" is $ 1400. ADJ "list" is $ 1400, I'm guessing "street" will be under $1000, and it's using 30w LED's. Let the LED wars continue.....

Have you seen any of these guys yet? No pricing on the Elation, but I am certain it is out of my normal clients' budgets. The ADJ might have a few applications, possibly the smaller of the DOTZ series, but the Matrix looks like a really cool fixture at it's price point.

Now if they will just put one on a moving yoke....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 07:28:22 AM »

I have seen the nexus. It has a diffusion filter in front so that you can't see the reflector or source which I think makes it different than the adj which I have not seen. Makes it look a little like a heavily frosted lamp. I find the whole genre really interesting, but it raises a lot of control questions.

I find the built in effects lacking.  They can be easily pixel mapped on desks that have that capability, but at 4 or 5 channels a pixel your dmx universes fill up quickly.  The whole paradigm in console pricing right now is per output... I wonder if some of these very dense channel count fixtures will change that or bring prices down...

I am not sure that these have much of an application except where they face the audience... But then they make great eye candy.  I would love to have a dozen of any of them for gigs.

There are a couple moving yoke fixture that have dense pixel count video type square panels on them so these large pixel panels can't be far behind.

Chauvet has a 3x3 panel that is part of their Dj line that is also an interesting little item. 

duane massey

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 07:52:06 PM »

I can see a potential use for stage washes, especially at the price point. Certainly eye candy material as well, but I'm thinking 2-3 fixtures on a medium size stage strictly for RGB wash use.

I can also see using these as wash fixtures on a dance floor, especially when competing with a bunch of bigger movers.
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

John Fruits

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2013, 04:36:38 AM »

Since you mentioned matrix thingies on a yoke, there is the Magic Panel 602 LOL.
http://www.morpheuslights.com/products.php?type=1
There are links to some youtube demos, how about a 5x5 matrix of 6x6 matrix thingies and unlimited pan and tilt to boot.  No idea of street price on these.  Ah well, now back to the real world.
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."-Hunter S. Thompson

duane massey

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »

Thanks, John, cool products, but I suspect just one of these guys would cost more than the total lighting budget for most of my clients. Technology is moving so far so fast I am really feeling old. Of course, I am old....
Duane Massey
Houston, Texas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2013, 08:44:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.