ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Mixing Desk Opinions for a keyboard player  (Read 16795 times)

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: Mixing Desk Opinions for a keyboard player
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2013, 07:44:59 AM »

Wayne,

Do you use the mixer's EQ section or Aux sends for anything, or do you just use the mixer as a summing device to get all of your signals to a single stereo pair?

If you just use it for summing, you might want to look into a Rane SM82s stereo mixer.

I regularly use an Allen & Heath ZED-14 and find it works well, but it's a rather long/deep little mixer for its channel count.  It probably has a good 4 inches or more in length than a Mackie 1402.

I haven't used the EPM series from Soundcraft, but I generally like their mixers.

Whatever you decide on, "buy once - cry once".  Leave yourself some room for expansion, maybe the flexibility to do solo work (a mic preamp or two), and go with a reputable brand.
Another good one is the Ashly LX-308B: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LX308B

WayneHarris

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »

Wayne,

Do you use the mixer's EQ section or Aux sends for anything, or do you just use the mixer as a summing device to get all of your signals to a single stereo pair?

If you just use it for summing, you might want to look into a Rane SM82s stereo mixer.

I regularly use an Allen & Heath ZED-14 and find it works well, but it's a rather long/deep little mixer for its channel count.  It probably has a good 4 inches or more in length than a Mackie 1402.

I haven't used the EPM series from Soundcraft, but I generally like their mixers.

Whatever you decide on, "buy once - cry once".  Leave yourself some room for expansion, maybe the flexibility to do solo work (a mic preamp or two), and go with a reputable brand.

Hi everyone

Yeah. I think your all right about this

About time I bought a new desk lol
I do use the Aux 1 and 2 sends which go into my pair of EV Powered cabs on stage, I have one either side for stereo monitoring, yes really! lol
So they are of course needed

I really want to get the A&H Zed14

trouble is, usual story, the mixer will be bolted into my Mixer Rack and used at each gig, then the rack gets put into the van until next gig, maybe life in the van going over bumps and summer and winter climate being left in van hasn't helped? But then again, it's a workhorse so should be able to stand it?

I'm quite prepared with the new desk to treat it with kid gloves and not rack it in and take it in the house after getting home from each gig

Not sure about all this "Oxidisation" thing that happens?

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 10:24:35 AM »

Hi everyone

Yeah. I think your all right about this

About time I bought a new desk lol
I do use the Aux 1 and 2 sends which go into my pair of EV Powered cabs on stage, I have one either side for stereo monitoring, yes really! lol
So they are of course needed

I really want to get the A&H Zed14

trouble is, usual story, the mixer will be bolted into my Mixer Rack and used at each gig, then the rack gets put into the van until next gig, maybe life in the van going over bumps and summer and winter climate being left in van hasn't helped? But then again, it's a workhorse so should be able to stand it?

I'm quite prepared with the new desk to treat it with kid gloves and not rack it in and take it in the house after getting home from each gig

Not sure about all this "Oxidisation" thing that happens?
I would suggest not using aux sends for your own monitoring - that means you're hearing something different than what the sound person gets from your rig.

The Ashly LX-308B has two sets of outputs, so you could use one set to go to the sound board, and the other set to go to your monitors, and then you'll know exactly what you're sending to the sound board.

WayneHarris

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 03:41:12 PM »

I would suggest not using aux sends for your own monitoring - that means you're hearing something different than what the sound person gets from your rig.

The Ashly LX-308B has two sets of outputs, so you could use one set to go to the sound board, and the other set to go to your monitors, and then you'll know exactly what you're sending to the sound board.

That doesn't matter, I have always used Aux Sends, I then go out the front and listen to my singer playing both keyboards and advise the sound engineer on adjustments if necessary

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 04:14:42 PM »

That doesn't matter, I have always used Aux Sends, I then go out the front and listen to my singer playing both keyboards and advise the sound engineer on adjustments if necessary
What is the value then of having a separate stage mix vs house mix?  I'm a gigging keys player, and it would drive me crazy not hearing the same thing as what I'm sending the house?

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 04:34:05 PM »

What is the value then of having a separate stage mix vs house mix?  I'm a gigging keys player, and it would drive me crazy not hearing the same thing as what I'm sending the house?

Yes, but you are capable, technically savvy keyboardist who knows where the control belongs and how to trust your fellow workers.
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain...

WayneHarris

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:25:56 PM »

Clearly we do things different then?

I use the Aux Sends, I have a pair of powered cabs that when I am onstage, I like to be able to control my own volume levels, the house mix is getting a left and right XLR from the desk, so the sound is EXACTLY the same, he can adjust volume level his end

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:47 PM »

Clearly we do things different then?

I use the Aux Sends, I have a pair of powered cabs that when I am onstage, I like to be able to control my own volume levels, the house mix is getting a left and right XLR from the desk, so the sound is EXACTLY the same, he can adjust volume level his end

So in other words, it IS possible that your send to the house could change...even if by accident.  As a FOH operator, I'd be a-reachin' for ma shootin' arn the first time that happened.

This is not a good idea the way you're doing it.  If you must send a separate feed to the FOH, make it a pre-fader aux send and keep your mains L/R for your own use.  That would make a bit more sense.

WayneHarris

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 05:33:37 PM »

So in other words, it IS possible that your send to the house could change...even if by accident.  As a FOH operator, I'd be a-reachin' for ma shootin' arn the first time that happened.

This is not a good idea the way you're doing it.  If you must send a separate feed to the FOH, make it a pre-fader aux send and keep your mains L/R for your own use.  That would make a bit more sense.

no no no, when I am onstage, I can simply change my AUX sends that are feeding to my powered cabs, there by adjusting the volume to myself, it doesn't affect the FOH

g'bye, Dick Rees

• Duluth
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

no no no, when I am onstage, I can simply change my AUX sends that are feeding to my powered cabs, there by adjusting the volume to myself, it doesn't affect the FOH

Wayne...

It's MUCH easier to use the channel "faders/pots" for your own use.  You could then use all the features that may attend to the channel.

The aux feed will be preferred by the vast majority of FOH folks.  We already have enough problem chasing the volume or "apparent" volume of keyboard patches.  Adding another possible source of signal variation is a nightmare.

The stablest and least likely to change feed to FOH will be a pre-fader aux.  If your mixer can do that, that's what I would request if we had the pleasure of working together.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 05:50:31 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 25 queries.