ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Mic System for measurements  (Read 27122 times)

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
Re: Wireless Mic System for measurements
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Would the earthworks m23 work with this setup?
I see no reason why the Earthworks m23 wouldn't work with this setup.  Use a battery power phantom power adapter such as the Countryman Battery Power Module AXBPM, which provides 18V phantom power, which is sufficient for the M23.  On my Lectrosonics HM transmitter, I have mine set to 15 volts mic power, and my M23 works fine with that voltage.  Considering that the Line 6 XD-V70L systems are discontinued and dealers are selling off old stock, you might be able find a good deal on one.  Hmm, this is very tempting!   :)

The only caveat in using phantom power supplies with less voltage output is that the microphone loses a few dB of headroom, but considering the Max Acoustic input of the M23 is 142 dB SPL with 48 volt phantom power, I don't think you'd be measuring at that high a level anyway, or even a couple dB less!  I certainly wouldn't want to be in such conditions!

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 01:38:27 PM »

I see no reason why the Earthworks m23 wouldn't work with this setup.  Use a battery power phantom power adapter such as the Countryman Battery Power Module AXBPM, which provides 18V phantom power, which is sufficient for the M23.  On my Lectrosonics HM transmitter, I have mine set to 15 volts mic power, and my M23 works fine with that voltage.  Considering that the Line 6 XD-V70L systems are discontinued and dealers are selling off old stock, you might be able find a good deal on one.  Hmm, this is very tempting!   :)

The only caveat in using phantom power supplies with less voltage output is that the microphone loses a few dB of headroom, but considering the Max Acoustic input of the M23 is 142 dB SPL with 48 volt phantom power, I don't think you'd be measuring at that high a level anyway, or even a couple dB less!  I certainly wouldn't want to be in such conditions!
Its not so much the power but the sensitivity of the M23. At least on the Line6  i have where there are no gain on the beltpack (what a hopeless design... but thats an other story) it makes the signal to noise ratio way low to an almost unusable level.
I have only gotten good result with a little DPA 4061(60) (what ever is the high gain version, can't remember), but don't have the mic Dough use to test.
/R

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 03:10:46 PM »

Its not so much the power but the sensitivity of the M23. At least on the Line6  i have where there are no gain on the beltpack (what a hopeless design... but thats an other story) it makes the signal to noise ratio way low to an almost unusable level.
I have only gotten good result with a little DPA 4061(60) (what ever is the high gain version, can't remember), but don't have the mic Dough use to test.
/R
So with the Line 6 bodypack transmitter, use a mic with a higher output?  Anyone know if the Earthworks M30BX or the NTI Mini SPL battery powered mics have a higher output?  What test mics have been successfully used with the Line 6 bodypack transmitter?

No input gain trim on the Line 6 bodypack transmitter??  That's very odd!  How does one compensate for the varying levels from Lav mics and the strength of a person's voice with such a system?   :o

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:45 PM »

You are aware that the lectrosonics transmitters have a selectable high pass filter? options are 35, 50, 70, and hopefully off (though the manual doesn't mention it and I don't have mine handy to test).

Jason

I can't find that option on my UH400TM, manual states 12db/oct at 35Hz. But I suspect higher.
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Don Boomer

• RF Venue
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2013, 05:06:29 PM »

No input gain trim on the Line 6 bodypack transmitter??  That's very odd!  How does one compensate for the varying levels from Lav mics and the strength of a person's voice with such a system?   :o

Same way as you do with a wired mic ... at the mixer.  All Line 6 systems are simply unity gain.

btw ... there is a built-in little Line 6 trick that we have been using for years to drive the bit rate up in the case of very low input.  If you are within 20 dB it comes out optimized.
Don Boomer
Senior applications engineer
RF Venue, Inc.

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »

Same way as you do with a wired mic ... at the mixer.  All Line 6 systems are simply unity gain.

btw ... there is a built-in little Line 6 trick that we have been using for years to drive the bit rate up in the case of very low input.  If you are within 20 dB it comes out optimized.

Hey Don,
What mic sensitivity mv/PA does the beltpack "expect"? (thinking about the system that comes with a Lav mic, can't remember the model number) Also doesn't the bit rate manipulation render the system non linear?, a big deal for us measure meant folks, or does it mean you only have 20db of linear working space (headroom), any where to tell when the bite rate increases?.

mvh
R

Jason Lavoie

« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

I can't find that option on my UH400TM, manual states 12db/oct at 35Hz. But I suspect higher.

It looks like you are correct. only the newer HM Series has the selectable filter. yours is unfortunately fixed..

Jason

Gustaf Kempe

« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2013, 07:19:22 PM »

So with the Line 6 bodypack transmitter, use a mic with a higher output?  Anyone know if the Earthworks M30BX or the NTI Mini SPL battery powered mics have a higher output?  What test mics have been successfully used with the Line 6 bodypack transmitter?

I use the Line6 system with a Nti Mini SPL, works flawless. I measured it wired vs wireless and the only difference is that with the line6 I loose 5dB. But that I compensated for on the output volume of the reciever (so the SPL meter stays the same).

I thought of buying the M30BX but thought it was a bit expensive to travell with.
The NTI drops off from about 4kHz, but as long as you know about it...
It's a quite neet setup without an phantompower sypply, just a cable from the mic to the bodypack. I have one of those headphone holders for mic stands that I put the beltpack on.

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »

So with the Line 6 bodypack transmitter, use a mic with a higher output?  Anyone know if the Earthworks M30BX or the NTI Mini SPL battery powered mics have a higher output? 

My NTI mini SPL sensitivity measured 20.6 mV/PA versus 6.71 mV/PA from my SIA RTA420, measured with NTI 's XL2 calibration function and Galaxy Audio's mic calibrator @94 dB

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »

Here is a loop through test of the Line6. And a pic to show that compare to a M23 on wire you have ca 15db less gain with a DPA 4060 and about 25db less gain with the Micw. So by not having a gain on the beltpack you have to increase the noise 15/25 db... not reallly optimal?
/R

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 06:08:40 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 27 queries.