ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless Mic System for measurements  (Read 27248 times)

Rasmus Rosenberg

Re: Wireless Mic System for measurements
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2013, 03:09:55 AM »

Awesome stuff Rasmus!   :)   I see you got the quad display going in Smaart!   ;)
Just curious to know what SPL level was the mic measuring?

Yes, my late cat Eddie (RIP) and I, found a bug that opened that view :) its later been patched so no need to try at home.

I was only about 68 dbA spl with the pink noise, funny how that sounds much louder in a concrete basement... I thought i was in to the 80's :) so no wonder i was close to a noise floor, when i compared to different mic's.

I do appoligize to everyone about my concerns,but I glad i took some time to get it tested. So my conclusion is that for a "cheap" measurement system the line6 i a good candidate (as Gustav all ready found out). If you use it with a good phantom supply, a quality mic and take great care that you have good wireless connection. I will try to do more range tests as i had to stop the other day, because the loading dock was busy with trucks coming and going, but 35 mtrs with direct line of sight transmitter to receiver was ok. But no doubt that as soon as the WL performance takes a hit, all kind of weird noise a cures (as expected i would guess).
/R

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

Yes, my late cat Eddie (RIP) and I, found a bug that opened that view :) its later been patched so no need to try at home.

I was only about 68 dbA spl with the pink noise, funny how that sounds much louder in a concrete basement... I thought i was in to the 80's :) so no wonder i was close to a noise floor, when i compared to different mic's.

I do appoligize to everyone about my concerns,but I glad i took some time to get it tested. So my conclusion is that for a "cheap" measurement system the line6 i a good candidate (as Gustav all ready found out). If you use it with a good phantom supply, a quality mic and take great care that you have good wireless connection. I will try to do more range tests as i had to stop the other day, because the loading dock was busy with trucks coming and going, but 35 mtrs with direct line of sight transmitter to receiver was ok. But no doubt that as soon as the WL performance takes a hit, all kind of weird noise a cures (as expected i would guess).
/R

I have never found a situation using my Line6 setup in which I felt there was a S/N ratio.  I have used it past 200 feet, no problem.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 05:01:16 PM »

/R
It's always a good idea to test the tester.  Too often we charge ahead and start optimizing a system assuming our equipment is functioning fine, without checking it in advance.  I'm guilty of doing that occasionally, and I'm sure others here too!  Thanks for taking the time to do those tests, based on what I see in this thread, I might have to get some Line6 wirelesses for this purpose as well.  They certainly are quite affordable!

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2013, 10:41:32 PM »

I do appreciate all the input, and subsequent discussion. As I am already using the Lectrosonics unit, moving to the line 6 with supply seems quite clunky. Has any one done measurements on the ULX-D stuff? I hope a plug in transmitter could be in the works...
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

Rasmus Rosenberg

« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2013, 11:37:49 AM »

I do appreciate all the input, and subsequent discussion. As I am already using the Lectrosonics unit, moving to the line 6 with supply seems quite clunky. Has any one done measurements on the ULX-D stuff? I hope a plug in transmitter could be in the works...
If you haven't read Langstons review
http://soundforums.net/product-reviews/4202-shure-ulx-d.html

Hope the future looks bright, as fare as i know the most limitations are in the firmware not hardware..  ::)

/R

Alfredo Prada

« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2014, 10:24:27 PM »

I wonder if this new wireless plug in transmitter/receiver from Alesis would work in audio measurement.

http://www.alesis.com/print/print.php/256099

Arthur Skudra

• SR Forums
« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2014, 12:53:21 AM »

I wonder if this new wireless plug in transmitter/receiver from Alesis would work in audio measurement.

http://www.alesis.com/print/print.php/256099
I know that the 60 foot range limitation of the Alesis wireless would make it completely pointless to use instead of regular mic cables for test and measurement work.  The main reason for going wireless is to locate the test mics at a distance away from your measurement rig in large rooms.

Lee Buckalew

• Classic LAB
  • St. Louis, MO area
    • Pro Sound Advice, Inc.
« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2014, 07:07:01 AM »

David,
I guess I didn't see this post before.
Shure does not recommend the ULX-D for measurement work as they say there is some signal manipulation going on that will make it non-linear.

Lee
Lee Buckalew
Pro Sound Advice, Inc.

David Sturzenbecher

• So. Dak.
    • Sturz Audio
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:06 AM »

David,
I guess I didn't see this post before.
Shure does not recommend the ULX-D for measurement work as they say there is some signal manipulation going on that will make it non-linear.

Lee

Lee, I heard the same from the Shure guys during Axient training a few months back. Quite a bummer. I have had to switch to a wire for my subwoofer measurements... Lots and lots of wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Audio Systems Design Engineer
Daktronics, Inc.
CTS-D, CTS-I
AES Full Member

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2014, 07:34:06 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 24 queries.