Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > Church Sound

Speaker selection switch

(1/3) > >>

Scott McDonnell:
Hi,

Our small church has recently had a pair of speakers donated to us.  What we would like to do is add these 2 speakers to our hall allowing us to use a side orientation, i.e.

x1 Powered Mixer (rack mount) with only L & R outs.
x2 Speakers (A&B) currently FOH Left and Right
...adding x2 Speakers (C&D) Side Hall Left and Right

Utilisation - I hope this makes some sense:

[          ]  =====[A]
                                              [          ]  =====
Mixer AMP (Spkr Out) L/R====[Switch]        or       
                                              [          ] =====[C]                     
                                              [          ] =====[D]

So the switch needs to allow the end user to select either A/B (Front Speakers) OR C/D (Side Speakers).

The amp is rated as 500W per channel and each speaker 400W (all 4).

I am happy to make a switch but am unsure as to how I go about this.  Thanks for any assistance.

Mike Spitzer:

--- Quote from: Scott McDonnell on March 21, 2011, 07:00:17 AM ---Hi,

Our small church has recently had a pair of speakers donated to us.  What we would like to do is add these 2 speakers to our hall allowing us to use a side orientation, i.e.

x1 Powered Mixer (rack mount) with only L & R outs.
x2 Speakers (A&B) currently FOH Left and Right
...adding x2 Speakers (C&D) Side Hall Left and Right

Utilisation - I hope this makes some sense:

[          ]  =====[A]
                                              [          ]  =====
Mixer AMP (Spkr Out) L/R====[Switch]        or       
                                              [          ] =====[C]                     
                                              [          ] =====[D]

So the switch needs to allow the end user to select either A/B (Front Speakers) OR C/D (Side Speakers).

The amp is rated as 500W per channel and each speaker 400W (all 4).

I am happy to make a switch but am unsure as to how I go about this.  Thanks for any assistance.

--- End quote ---

You'd probably want a monitor switch. I've used this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS6R/

which will handle up to 6 speaker pairs.

I also noticed this one while on the site:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SwitchWitch/

which will handle up to 4. I haven't used it, but I've never had a problem with Pro Co and it's a good bit cheaper. Look around for monitor switches and I'm sure you can find some more options.

-mS

Matthias Heitzer:
The "Switch Witch" is an active monitorswitch for line levels, don't connect it to a speaker cable!

The MS6R could work, since it's a passive device, but it was also designed for Line levels. the current will most propably be too much for the switch.

Ps:

I'd use two of these:
http://www.pollin.de/shop/images/article/big/G420545.JPG

Connect the amp output to the two prongs in the middle and the two speakers to the outer prongs.

Tom Young:

--- Quote from: Mike Spitzer on March 21, 2011, 08:06:37 AM ---You'd probably want a monitor switch. I've used this one:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MS6R/

which will handle up to 6 speaker pairs.

I also noticed this one while on the site:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SwitchWitch/

which will handle up to 4. I haven't used it, but I've never had a problem with Pro Co and it's a good bit cheaper. Look around for monitor switches and I'm sure you can find some more options.

-mS
--- End quote ---

The OP appears to have a powered mixer that he is attempting to switch between 2 sets of (what appear to be) non-powered speakers.  Both of the  devices you recommend are for self-powered speakers and work at line levels........ not speaker levels.

In the days of old (10+ years ago) there were a few speaker-level switchers. I'm not sure if anyone makes them anymore.

One could "roll there own" simply by buying a 4PST switch that handles enough current. 20A-30A should be sufficient. These may be available through well known electronics parts suppliers such as Mouser and DigiKey. But one can probaly find them cheaper via the internet surplus electronics sellers.

google on "surplus electronic parts" and similar key words. 

If I was doing this I would prefer a heavy duty toggle switch.

This can also be accomplished by using 4 standard electrical power (wall type) switches which are more readily available, cheaper (probably) and are rated for well over the levels produced by this amp. Enclose these in an electrical box and make sure all terminations are done neatly and safely. Label the switches clearly. The only real down side is that the users must ensure that only one pair of speakers are on at one time.

Mike Spitzer:

--- Quote from: Tom Young on March 21, 2011, 11:59:30 AM ---The OP appears to have a powered mixer that he is attempting to switch between 2 sets of (what appear to be) non-powered speakers.  Both of the  devices you recommend are for self-powered speakers and work at line levels........ not speaker levels.

--- End quote ---

Sorry about that; you're right. I've always used them to feed a signal to an amp. Didn't think about that.

-mS

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version