ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Loudspeaker Recommendations – Pair with 6-8 UCS1B Subs  (Read 11546 times)

Samuel Rees

• Washington, D.C.
Re: Loudspeaker Recommendations – Pair with 6-8 UCS1B Subs
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »

If you really want to chase that pile of subs, I second the above. SRX722, QRX212 or QRX153  - look at the used market. Unless you really need wide coverage, 2 boxes are better than 4.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 10:16:05 AM »

If you really want to chase that pile of subs, I second the above. SRX722, QRX212 or QRX153  - look at the used market. Unless you really need wide coverage, 2 boxes are better than 4.

For $2K each used, he can do far better than the "usual suspects".

Community SLS960, passive.  Get a helper to stack.

That's as simple as it gets, and will utterly and completely smoke what he has by several orders of magnitude.  This is a professional horn loaded box, needs a tiny bit of EQ to smooth it, and that's it.

Here is a Marketplace ad from late last year:

http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php?topic=140529.0

$1100 each for 960s in good condition, that is a crazy good deal.  And these can be used well  in multiples, at least a 2 wide.  There are 960 owners active on the forum.  John Chiara just opined recently about this in another thread.

Look past the usual SRX/QRX solutions.  They're good pro-sumer boxes (I have used QRX a-plenty), but they're not in the same league as SLS.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Martin Primus

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »

That's as simple as it gets, and will utterly and completely smoke what he has by several orders of magnitude.  This is a professional horn loaded box, needs a tiny bit of EQ to smooth it, and that's it.

$1100 each for 960s in good condition, that is a crazy good deal.  And these can be used well  in multiples, at least a 2 wide.  There are 960 owners active on the forum.  John Chiara just opined recently about this in another thread.

Look past the usual SRX/QRX solutions.  They're good pro-sumer boxes (I have used QRX a-plenty), but they're not in the same league as SLS.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I've used 2/3 per side QRX212 over UCS1's and it was a mightly impressive rig and can be setup/loaded by one person in most cases.  SLS will obviously be better, but if OP doesn't have a helper at all gigs QRX212 is a great box, and 2 matched nicely with 3 USC1's per side for output.  Not to mention that you can use a minimal quantity of amps to drive it.  We hung the 6 UCS1's (3 per side) of a PL6, then ran tops in stereo of a pair of PLX's.  3 amps for the whole rig and it would get up and go nicely inside or outside for good sized crowds.  If manpower is never an issue..defintely step up, IME I liked the size/performance factor of QRX's with those subs over more (maybe better?) output.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »

Melike SLS960

While there is a limit to how low the pattern control of the horn goes, it definitely does go low enough to add a good chunk of clarity to vocal range when compared with the usual front loaded suspects, even when set up two a side.

If you are already moving around a pile of subs, the weight of the tops doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Edit: I should point out that I am currently running 2 QRX212 per side in a fixed install twice a week.
Jay Barracato

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 12:49:07 PM »

Melike SLS960

While there is a limit to how low the pattern control of the horn goes, it definitely does go low enough to add a good chunk of clarity to vocal range when compared with the usual front loaded suspects, even when set up two a side.

If you are already moving around a pile of subs, the weight of the tops doesn't seem to be a big deal.

Edit: I should point out that I am currently running 2 QRX212 per side in a fixed install twice a week.

There is certainly nothing wrong with the 2x QRX solution.  I have used it over 2x SRX728 on everything from concert sidefills to a street festival rig.  PL380 for the subs, PL236a for the tops, biamped with the internal crossover.  Good to go.

The only thing missing in the SLS is the low mid meat, if you really need that.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2013, 01:45:50 PM »

There is certainly nothing wrong with the 2x QRX solution.  I have used it over 2x SRX728 on everything from concert sidefills to a street festival rig.  PL380 for the subs, PL236a for the tops, biamped with the internal crossover.  Good to go.

(Does this sound pedantic. My intent is not to lecture Doug, whom I am sure knows what is up. I am trying to explain my thinking about how I would approach using hte two products differently)
Like everything there are tradeoffs. The QRX I can run down to a sub crossover at about 80, that is stretching it a bit for the SLS but I am comfortable with them down to 100. I think you are definitely picking up performance in the 1000-2500 range with the SLS.

I am sure some people would like the option of a true mid box with the smaller SLS920, but I think it is also important to note that the higher the sub level is compared to the tops, the higher the acoustic crossover is, and that does help fill in the low mids.

As with any system, the goal is to pick transitions between the passbands that allow each of the bands to work to the best of their ability. There is no sense in being wedded to a crossover of 80 if that leaves a hole above it or the adjacent band straining to perform.
Jay Barracato

Jason Gooden

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2013, 07:15:51 PM »

Is it realistic to expect a single QRx or even SLS per stack to perform well as described in the original post? Basically I have about $4000 for this upgrade, but the unit prices on these options and everyone's successful experience suggesting "2x" (I assume 2 speakers per stack) I get the feeling that I may be coming up short.

As for the weight issue, while it would be convenient to have something I could comfortably deploy myself, I generally have a second pair of hand better than 90% of the time.

Big thanks to everyone who's helping guide me through this.
Jason

John Chiara

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2013, 09:36:50 PM »

Danley OS80?

Corey Scogin

• Birmingham, AL, US
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2013, 12:46:11 AM »

Danley OS80?

I think you mean SM80 since the OP isn't doing a permanent outdoor install.

I don't think it fits the OP's requirements as it's unpowered a bit more than $2k/box + amplification.  It wouldn't be a bad fit if budget allowed.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:43 AM »

Is it realistic to expect a single QRx or even SLS per stack to perform well as described in the original post? Basically I have about $4000 for this upgrade, but the unit prices on these options and everyone's successful experience suggesting "2x" (I assume 2 speakers per stack) I get the feeling that I may be coming up short.

As for the weight issue, while it would be convenient to have something I could comfortably deploy myself, I generally have a second pair of hand better than 90% of the time.

Big thanks to everyone who's helping guide me through this.
Jason

It seems lopsided to me to have 6-8 subs with a value of up to $8000 not including amplification and to only budget $4000 for tops.

If I had $4000 for tops, I would keep saving until I had $8000. That would open up a lot more options.
Jay Barracato

ProSoundWeb Community

ยซ Reply #19 on: September 06, 2013, 06:13:43 AM ยป

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.