ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbosound Floodlight TFL-760 and TSW-21 Install  (Read 8275 times)

David Rose

Turbosound Floodlight TFL-760 and TSW-21 Install
« on: September 03, 2013, 10:47:54 pm »

Hi,

I am working on a new DJ venue install and am considering using some used Turbo sound TFL-760s Flooslights and TSW-21 subs.  The room in question is about 60' long by 42' wide with a small mezzanine.  The room will probably hold about 500 people max.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these Turbo boxes paired with each other for DJ use? 

I've obviously heard a lot of good things about Turbosound, but I am somewhat concerned about the fact that the subs are rated down to only 50hz. And the tops bottom out at 180.   

Based on specs like that it almost seems like a third box is needed to act as a true sub?  If that is the case any suggestions on what would be appropriate?  And if we do really need a third box is it even worth it, since that would require a 5 ways system since the tops are tri amped?

Thanks for your help.

Spenser Hamilton

Re: Turbosound Floodlight TFL-760 and TSW-21 Install
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 12:00:43 am »

Hi,

I am working on a new DJ venue install and am considering using some used Turbo sound TFL-760s Flooslights and TSW-21 subs.  The room in question is about 60' long by 42' wide with a small mezzanine.  The room will probably hold about 500 people max.

I was wondering if anyone has experience with these Turbo boxes paired with each other for DJ use? 

I've obviously heard a lot of good things about Turbosound, but I am somewhat concerned about the fact that the subs are rated down to only 50hz. And the tops bottom out at 180.   

Based on specs like that it almost seems like a third box is needed to act as a true sub?  If that is the case any suggestions on what would be appropriate?  And if we do really need a third box is it even worth it, since that would require a 5 ways system since the tops are tri amped?

Thanks for your help.

Start here: http://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,234.0.html
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

David Rose

Spenser Hamilton

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2013, 12:27:07 am »

Thanks.  I just put my real name in.

There's lots of info on the Floodlight setup on the LAB Archive, a google custom search will turn up a few hours of reading.

The tops are a little long in the tooth but still viable if the drivers are in good condition, the TSW-21 is regarded as a bass cab rather than a true sub by most.

What kind of music is being DJed? Most modern Top 40 Dance and Electronic music has content below 50Hz, that rig will have no problem producing the upper kick drum range but won't have that nice "tickle-your-nose" low bass that is typically found in a good club install. Whether that will matter depends on the expectations of your target crowd.

As far as going lower, you have two options:
 - Run a sub below the TSW-21s, for this you need more amps and the ability to process five passbands. System alignment will likely take a bit longer, and you'll have to find room for all those boxes.
 - Alternatively find a sub that can meet the TFLs. Whether this is a viable option I don't even know, 30-180Hz is a large frequency range to cover. It might be possible to run the TFLs a bit lower and meet them with a BR design.

All my experience with Floodlights is from the listener side, so YMMV, there's got to be a few former owners that can chip in with the real scoop. In the meantime search the Archive.
Technical Director - Chatham Capitol Theatre/Kiwanis Theatre

Evan Hunter

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 09:11:22 am »

I always LOVED the TSW721 subs for live music. Keep in mind that they are made to be used with multiples coupled together. When used correctly they are fantastic, However you will probably need twice as many as you think. Run at LEAST 2 subs to every 1 top. If you can find a DSP with Turbosound settings. There are a lot of "shop" settings on these boxes, not many of them sound good.
Evan F. Hunter
Cleveland Ohio, Houston Texas
EFHunter4419 (at) G Mail. Com
https://www.facebook.com/FosterSound
EV QRX, JBL SRX, Turbosound Milan, Soundcraft Expression, Soundcraft Vi1

Chris Lamb

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:25 am »

Sorry, just realised that should have been a PM!

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:40:45 am »

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

Turbo flood should be fine for that install.

You will need 2 x flood per side in there ground stacked on top of 4 x (or 6x) TSW721 per side. Don't forget to put a 10" splay between the TSW760 fronts so as to array them properly.

Sub wise, I wouldn't worry too much about LF extension. Whilst 1 x TSW721 does only drop to 50Hz or so, a block of 4 of them comes alive and when you get to a block of 6, you really start to get the low notes produced.

If it is high energy dance music in the club, I would go for a block of 6 subs per side, 2 wide, 3 high, laid on their sides with the access panels outwards. This creates the horn mouth.

I think you will like the results. Do yourself a favour and use modern dsp rather than the original processors for it. We use XTA 4 series, but a good budget option would be Xilica.

Amplifier wise, try the FFA 10k or the Digam powersoft K10 on the subs.... (You will need 1 amp if running 4 subs per side and 2 amps if running 6)

Check the midrange drivers of the flood boxes, most of them are pretty harsh sounding these days due to decades of use (the voice coil comes out of alignment easily if overdriven - not a problem with modern DSP and decent settings), there are still recones from Turbosound out there.

Lastly, put some little infill boxes up on top of the mezzanine as the main stacks will not really be covering up there.

4 or 6 TSW721 per side in the club you mention would be pretty devastating.
Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Brad Weber

• Marietta, GA
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 10:20:30 am »

Sounds like a good example of where it not just about the products used but also about how they are used.  Where the result depends on not just the speaker models but also the quantity and deployment of them as well as the associated processing and amplification.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 21 queries.