ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 vs Heil RC35  (Read 19133 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: SM58 vs Heil RC35
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 12:49:58 AM »

The RC 35 in my humble opinion is the closest thing to a condenser without actually being a condenser.

If someone could suggest (hint) to Bob Heil that he create a larger grill with a larger windscreen inside i'd be in line to buy it.  Or even field test the prototype.

With great voices it's great. On voices with poor mic technique it becomes miserable night.

Much of my clientèle absolutely refuse to use mics with exterior windscreens. This is to the point of ripping the windscreens off and casting them aside.

I'm not following you.  Both my RC 35 and PR 35 seem to have appropriate size grills and adequate
windscreens.  What kind of problems are you having?

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »

Example please.

My example would be the RE-20.   Just not as extreme.  About 1/2" of open cell foam between the traducer and grill.

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 01:12:57 AM »

I'm not following you.  Both my RC 35 and PR 35 seem to have appropriate size grills and adequate

I just did a show with a 35 year veteran performer, a great Elvis tribute artist.  I wanted it to be spectacular. 

The p popping was pretty detracting.  I rolled up the HPF to about 250 and added an the Heil windscreen.

I know, you can blame poor mic technique, but I want it all: the great sound with full bass response and relative immunity to popping.   

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 09:36:25 AM »

I rolled up the HPF to about 250 and added an the Heil windscreen.

How steep was the HPF?
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 03:58:13 PM »

During a conference my RC-35 on Shure UHF-R ended up getting used for the keynote speaker after the music set. The evening keynote has a really strong P, to a point that it's painful for the audience. HPF was then dialed in, pretty extreme slope (LR24 or something close), but I forgot where, maybe 150 Hz, but P was still pretty loud, just not as painful.

Plosive on RC-35 was not an issue for singing for my usage, as most musical vocal, except for rap, employ strong P. I just have to make sure to set up another mic for keynote, one that's more plosive friendly.

Sonic character aside, I found the Shure KSM9 handles plosive much better. I personally like the sonic character of KSM9 better. Gain-before-feedback is no contest though.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2013, 12:30:43 AM »

How steep was the HPF?

I didn't realize it until you asked but its only 6 dB / octave on the Studiolive.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2013, 12:11:29 PM »

During a conference my RC-35 on Shure UHF-R ended up getting used for the keynote speaker after the music set. The evening keynote has a really strong P, to a point that it's painful for the audience. HPF was then dialed in, pretty extreme slope (LR24 or something close), but I forgot where, maybe 150 Hz, but P was still pretty loud, just not as painful.

Plosive on RC-35 was not an issue for singing for my usage, as most musical vocal, except for rap, employ strong P. I just have to make sure to set up another mic for keynote, one that's more plosive friendly.

Sonic character aside, I found the Shure KSM9 handles plosive much better. I personally like the sonic character of KSM9 better. Gain-before-feedback is no contest though.

You do realize the 35 has an adjustable low end filter. Have you used it?
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Jeff Carter

• Kitchener, ON, Canada
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2013, 03:29:24 PM »

I didn't realize it until you asked but its only 6 dB / octave on the Studiolive.
Yikes. I thought 12 dB/octave on the GLD was shallow!
Mothers, don't let your babies grow up to be physics PhDs

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2013, 07:50:15 PM »

You do realize the 35 has an adjustable low end filter. Have you used it?

Unfortunately the RC does not have the low end filter.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

Unfortunately the RC does not have the low end filter.

My RC35 also does not have HPF circuitry like the PR35. That's why I prefer my PR-35 when I can live with a wire.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2013, 08:33:14 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 24 queries.