ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: SM58 vs Heil RC35  (Read 19132 times)

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
SM58 vs Heil RC35
« on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:15 PM »

With my environment I am growing fond of using dynamic mic's for my vocalists as opposed to condenser. The dynamics are more forgiving. From an RF standpoint I am happy with my PGXD systems. Really no complaints in that regard. Is it worth the cost to upgrade to the RC35's? The sales guys I've spoken with claim the RC35 makes the SM58 "just sound bad" If so, great. If not, I don't want to throw money away.

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
Re: SM58 vs Heil RC35
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 09:51:44 PM »

With my environment I am growing fond of using dynamic mic's for my vocalists as opposed to condenser. The dynamics are more forgiving. From an RF standpoint I am happy with my PGXD systems. Really no complaints in that regard. Is it worth the cost to upgrade to the RC35's? The sales guys I've spoken with claim the RC35 makes the SM58 "just sound bad" If so, great. If not, I don't want to throw money away.

Hello, My experience with RC 35 is that it is more sensitive than SM58, for better or worse. Sound character is definitely different. It does not handle plosives as well as SM58 if the user has a strong P. I like RC 35 for softer singer, and it brightens up the sound a bit.

SM58 is more of a subjective call. For certain voice it sounds sweet; for others such as boomy mid low male voice, it will sound boomy, unless it is dialed out.

It really depends on the voice. How would you characterize the voice you plan to use the RC35 on?
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »

It's always the same answer to these kind of questions- it depends.  I've had an RC35 for a couple of years that I use with my Line 6 wireless system.  I initially got it to use with a male country singer I was working with and it was a perfect match.  I think it would be a good idea to have one in your arsenal.  Give one a listen and see for yourself.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »

Looking more for the sound of the EV nd767. I don't like the response of the SM58 especially around the 400hz area. I feel like I have to do too much with the EQ to have a tolerable sound. Unfortunately my vocalists are for the most part untrained. Much emphasis in dragging out the "S" in any word creating too much sibilance if I use a condensor not to mention the sibilance I introduce by compression that is needed for their untrained voices. Mostly females.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:23 AM »

Comparing the SM-58 to a PR/RC-35 is silly at best. You might compare it to a KSM9, but certainly not an SM-58. And by the way, the 35 will sound better.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

John Woodfield

• Lab Lounge
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 07:05:05 AM »

Comparing the SM-58 to a PR/RC-35 is silly at best. You might compare it to a KSM9, but certainly not an SM-58. And by the way, the 35 will sound better.

The 35 will sound better than the KSM9?

David Simpson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 08:38:30 AM »

If your primary use is for relatively untrained singers, I will throw in a vote for the Heil RC22. A bit more forgiving than the RC35, and an improvement over the SM58. I have all 3, and I find myself using the 22 more than the 35 when I have doubts about an artists technique.

I also agree with Chuck, an RC35 is a great tool to have in your arsenal.

~Dave

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 08:45:03 AM »

The 35 will sound better than the KSM9?

Most people who have made a direct comparison, myself included, tend to agree the 35 will at least sound as good as the KSM9, and in the right hands can sound better.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

Tim Perry

• Utica-Rome NY
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »

Most people who have made a direct comparison, myself included, tend to agree the 35 will at least sound as good as the KSM9, and in the right hands can sound better.

The RC 35 in my humble opinion is the closest thing to a condenser without actually being a condenser.

If someone could suggest (hint) to Bob Heil that he create a larger grill with a larger windscreen inside i'd be in line to buy it.  Or even field test the prototype.

With great voices it's great. On voices with poor mic technique it becomes miserable night.

Much of my clientèle absolutely refuse to use mics with exterior windscreens. This is to the point of ripping the windscreens off and casting them aside.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:18:57 PM by Tim Perry »

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

Example please.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 11:47:06 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.