ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124766 times)

Matthias McCready

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #160 on: July 28, 2020, 10:03:40 PM »

I did a band at a wedding last fall. The lead singer brought his own Shure Super 55. I put the rest of the guys on e035's and 945's. I pleaded with the singer to use one of my mics but he was insistent that the Super 55 was 'part of his look for the performance"

Final result was the backing VOX sounded great and cut right through the mix while I fought feedback and mud with the lead VOX all night long.

I have had this to.

I always wondered if I bought the shell of one if I could get improved results with a different capsule in there... Not sure how much the shell contributes to the problems though? Sure would be nice to have something that mixed well, that that give the look.

I even have one musician friend who know's they sound terrible, he still got one. You can make it sound less bad, but I never had one do wonderful things, even with a wonderful vocalist on a great rig.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Steve M Smith

• Isle of Wight - England
« Reply #161 on: July 29, 2020, 04:11:57 AM »

I'll admit that I haven't searched the entire thread, but looking back a few pages I saw no mention of the sE V7

The V7 has become my favourite microphone. I have four and will be getting a couple more.  The owner of a local sound company I sometimes work for seems to be addicted to them and can't stop buying them.

The V7X is great too. it has an extended low end response which is good for things which don't have a proximity effect, such as brass and guitar cabs.

SE Electronics even supply a V7X as the snare mic in their drum mic sets.

Steve.

JohnPinchin

« Reply #162 on: July 29, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »

I have had this to.

I always wondered if I bought the shell of one if I could get improved results with a different capsule in there... Not sure how much the shell contributes to the problems though? Sure would be nice to have something that mixed well, that that give the look.

I even have one musician friend who know's they sound terrible, he still got one. You can make it sound less bad, but I never had one do wonderful things, even with a wonderful vocalist on a great rig.

One of my semi-regular bands playing mostly irish tunes, uses them,  one with the regular 55 and two with the deluxe model, as I understand it they have the heads from an sm58 and beta58 inside and they do sound close to that but the case messes with the pickup pattern and gain before feedback.   They like the look and insist on using them.  So far it's been ok and I haven't had a huge problem getting useable sound but I don't think I'd enjoy it with a loud drummer and rock backline to overcome.

I'm experimenting with cleaning my mics and storing in individual sealed bags that only the singers will touch - hopefully that will keep more singers using my preferred mics.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #163 on: July 29, 2020, 12:47:11 PM »

One of my semi-regular bands playing mostly irish tunes, uses them,  one with the regular 55 and two with the deluxe model, as I understand it they have the heads from an sm58 and beta58 inside and they do sound close to that but the case messes with the pickup pattern and gain before feedback.   They like the look and insist on using them.  So far it's been ok and I haven't had a huge problem getting useable sound but I don't think I'd enjoy it with a loud drummer and rock backline to overcome.

I'm experimenting with cleaning my mics and storing in individual sealed bags that only the singers will touch - hopefully that will keep more singers using my preferred mics.

The capsule in the Shure 55 is from the SM-48, one of the shittiest mics I've ever used.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #164 on: July 30, 2020, 07:14:00 PM »

The capsule in the Shure 55 is from the SM-48, one of the shittiest mics I've ever used.

So that's why.  I've used SM48's a few times, never by choice - thankfully the last time was 19 years ago.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #165 on: July 30, 2020, 10:40:24 PM »

I have had this to.

Mick Hughes talks about remaking Super 55's with Metallica https://youtu.be/u24T4kgLjdk?t=710

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #166 on: July 31, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »

And it only gets worse when the singer cups the back of the 55 and kisses the front.

I understand the visual aesthetic of the Shure 55.  Just wish it behaved better in a Live Sound environment.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #167 on: August 01, 2020, 05:57:53 AM »

Looks like there might be a small market for Shure 55 look-alikes that sound decent. I've been playing with some dynamic mic capsules recently with good results, so might see about mounting one in a 55 basket and see how the response looks.

I have some ideas on how I might go about making one of these mics sound decent, so will come up with a prototype and take some measurements.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber