ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 62099 times)

john lutz

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2018, 05:06:25 pm »

Lewitt AMS-MTP-550-DM

Give this guy a try, I think it will surprise you. Not just for the price - it is remarkably clear, smooth, and transparent. Great GBF and low handeling noise too.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #141 on: November 25, 2018, 01:02:24 pm »

Regarding e835 vs e935, there is a world of difference between the two. The e935 has much more detail and clarity. Recently A/B'ed them during a jam session and the choice was unanimous for the 935 being the better sounding mic.

OK I'm changing my opinions lol.

- I'm now used to the Beta 87a's and I can work with them.
- I'm still happy with SM58's and SM86's, but prefer 86's if given the choice of the three.
- I'm now disliking the e835, very boxy sounding/muddy imo, could be just me.
So is the e935 that much different? Is it like the Beta58a to the SM58?Anyone got opinions with e865 also?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 12:59:25 pm by Tim Hite »
Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California

Scott Slater

« Reply #142 on: November 26, 2018, 07:51:03 am »

I'm looking into some Beta 87a's for a annual bluegrass festival that I work.  Some of the bands have really poor mic technique, or want to sit several feet away from the vocal mic.  Even after our stage tech moves it up where it should be, they move it back.  Most aren't this extreme but many seem to want to sing a foot or so away from the mic.  We currently use Beta 58a's for the vocals, and SM81's for the instruments.

Do the Beta 87a's work well with wedges, or is it more of a mic for bands using in-ear monitoring?  I don't want to buy 6 of them, only to find them not usable in this situation.

Geert Friedhof

« Reply #143 on: November 26, 2018, 09:21:29 am »

Regarding b87a on monitors: I have several, and i find them quite easy goin' on d&b max15 and RCF TT25 CXA. As with all hypers you should place the monitor(s) on a 60 degree angle to the mic. I find the b87a a very good 'budget' condensor. It's my goto for female voices. You do need an HPF though. Also wind noise can be a problem. It is still a hypercardiod, so a big proximity effect. Maybe the b87c is the better option here, but i am sure ( ;) there are better options for your intended use.

Regarding the 935: After several gigs i am still not convinced it is a better mic than a b58, especially with 'screamers'. It is (a lot) better than the 835, but still has a sort of smiley face freq response. Take out some hf, and it sounds dull. Take out some lf, and it sounds thin. This makes it hard on dynamic performances imho.

Caleb Dueck

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2018, 11:18:26 pm »

Try SM86's instead of B87's, at least one.  I prefer them, and they happen to cost less.

Dynamic mics - very much a personal preference.  I like E935's better than most other dynamic mics, and much better than the Shure options.  The Shure models just seem so muddy time-domain-wise.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2018, 11:29:11 am »

Try SM86's instead of B87's, at least one.  I prefer them, and they happen to cost less.

Another vote for the SM86.  I own 6 of them expressly for bluegrass/folk/acoustic events.

I auditioned all of the 87 variations and like the 86 the best.  I abhor Beta Everything with the exception of the Beta57a.  I own Beta52 because they're on riders.  The rest sound odd to me and frequently harsh, brittle or 'crunchy' (with or without ketchup, Brian!).
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 23 queries.