ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124439 times)

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #100 on: June 09, 2016, 10:15:34 AM »

i have SM58's
i have recently upgraded to the Audix OM7, which are the best for high gain before feedback and isolation
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Brian McMahan

« Reply #101 on: June 09, 2016, 01:13:06 PM »

+1 to Senn 835 & 935.  Agreed that Heil PR35 has its applications... though I have ended up with a somewhat 'scooped' freq response when using.  Also Senn 845 & 945, if heading in that direction.

Brian

Brian McMahan

Vocal microphones
« Reply #102 on: June 09, 2016, 02:26:24 PM »

My experience with OM7s...

Great for off-axis rejection + gain before feedback.  Amazingly durable.  In that sense, they are comparable to a SM58.  Not so much tone wise though.  I'd suggest having a decent parametric channel EQ available for vocal, if considering SM58 > OM7 switch. 

Important:  Small-voiced performers will need to be comfortable staying on top of the Audix.  Don't expect standard-form 'working the mic' moves to translate well.  In my experience... if your vocalist is 3-4" off the mic, even if directly on axis... you've cut your signal in half.

Brian

Yoel Farkas

• Classic LAB
  • eXpert Sound inc.
« Reply #103 on: June 10, 2016, 09:41:10 AM »

My experience with OM7s...

Great for off-axis rejection + gain before feedback.  Amazingly durable.  In that sense, they are comparable to a SM58.  Not so much tone wise though.  I'd suggest having a decent parametric channel EQ available for vocal, if considering SM58 > OM7 switch. 

Important:  Small-voiced performers will need to be comfortable staying on top of the Audix.  Don't expect standard-form 'working the mic' moves to translate well.  In my experience... if your vocalist is 3-4" off the mic, even if directly on axis... you've cut your signal in half.

Brian

The only downside i found with the Audix OM7 is that i have to teach the singers to stay close to the mic. i keep telling them to bite in the mic when they sing. but the mix is much cleaner since i use them. better isolation means that the mic pics up less reflections less repeat.
Yoel Farkas
Expert Sound inc.
Monroe, NY, USA

Branimir Bozak

• Stara metalika
« Reply #104 on: June 10, 2016, 02:02:50 PM »

In Yurop, I noticed two versions of OM7, the USA made, and the later, Chinese made. I had the oportunity to use and see both, they are physicaly different.
I remember the chinese one was different to disassmble, and the capsule was attached with a bolt, similar to Shure SM58, but in a bit different way, eventually the bolt comes loose and then the wires get broken. Not really stageworthy.
The USA model (used by my friend) is bulletproof, and also sounds a bit different...
I have no clue where they make Audix microphones today, haven't used the vocal ones for at least two years.
Overall I think it doesn't sound anything different than a SM58, but if you have a quieter singer that has enough brains to actually sing close into the microphone, it's a bit easier to get the perofmer in the mix, and the monitors. Also you need to crank the gain up with the Audix, lower output than SM58...

Currently I have 3 AKG D5's. Basically - it's their take on Beta58. It's not supersmooth, but it's not as harsh as beta. A good microphone, also lowmid is clear, it's not muffled like a SM58. Also, the dust/pop cap seems to take throwing into floor much better than SM58. Don't ask me, why this is important :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 02:06:31 PM by Branimir Bozak »
If you scoop, it sounds like poop!

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2016, 04:46:33 AM »

Currently I have 3 AKG D5's. Basically - it's their take on Beta58. It's not supersmooth, but it's not as harsh as beta. A good microphone, also lowmid is clear, it's not muffled like a SM58. Also, the dust/pop cap seems to take throwing into floor much better than SM58. Don't ask me, why this is important :)

How do you find the D5s? - I'm thinking of picking up a few on behalf of a venue.

I'm a little surprised to see that the EV N/D series haven't had much of a mention here. I really like my 767a and 967 mics. The latter is just peace of mind when it comes to loud stages etc - you can always push the vocals a bit more.
The 767a has seen all sorts of use, including being taped inside a bodhran when the player wanted to be able to move around on-stage. I had a couple of SM58s for a while, but the 767a made them sound broken.

If anyone's interested, I recently did a test of some mics. No sound recording, I just put them in front of a fairly flat speaker, and ran a frequency sweep. The results were interesting, and I'd be happy to share them here or in another thread.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Richard Penrose

« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2016, 03:46:06 AM »

The D5's are good workhorse mics and excellent value for money. At one point a store in the UK was selling them for £49 with mic stand and lead!! I preferred them over the SM58 in every situation I used it. The EV n/d767a is another great mic and is brighter than the D5. I found the 767a to be a little more hit or miss on the vocalists I used it on. On some voices it sounded great and on others it sounded harsh.
I replaced my D5's with Sennheiser E838's (silver 840) as I preferred the slightly smoother tone and lower handling noise. I also replaced the EV's with Sennheiser E945's.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #107 on: August 15, 2016, 04:52:31 AM »

Thanks Richard.

I keep eyeballing the E9x5 mics. I can't find a bad review on those. Not cheap, though, and I'd want lots of them.

I, too, have found the 767a and 967 occasionally harsh. I decided to find out why, and found some fairly flat full-range speakers, and ran frequency sweeps through them with different mics measuring the output. The results were very interesting, so I'll start a thread and post them up.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Kevin McDonough

« Reply #108 on: August 15, 2016, 06:21:20 AM »

Thanks Richard.

I keep eyeballing the E9x5 mics. I can't find a bad review on those. Not cheap, though, and I'd want lots of them.

I, too, have found the 767a and 967 occasionally harsh. I decided to find out why, and found some fairly flat full-range speakers, and ran frequency sweeps through them with different mics measuring the output. The results were very interesting, so I'll start a thread and post them up.

Chris

hey

Partly on recommendation from someone else, and then after googling and seeing a very good review on here, I picked up some EV PL44s and have been very impressed. Much better than a 58 (which I find most modern mics are anyway) and a little smoother than the e835 which was my previous "fairly cheap dynamic general workhorse". And being super-cardioid you get a noticeable little improvement in FB rejection, but without being so narrow that voices drift away as soon as the singer moves even a little away from the sweet spot as can happen on some other mics.

Now have 6 and have only ad the chance to use them a handful of times so far, but have been great in every situation. While there are always much better mics for way more cash, for the price they've been a brilliant investment.

k

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »

Another vote for E935 mics.  Our go-to low(er) cost mics. 
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2016, 06:59:42 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.023 seconds with 25 queries.