ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124432 times)

Stan Shields

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2015, 12:45:22 PM »

Good stuff on vocal mic sound quality, etc. What about gain before feedback? good vocal mic for loud monitors? (other than the obvious OM7)?

Stan Shields

« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »

Good stuff on vocal mic sound quality, etc. What about gain before feedback? good vocal mic for loud monitors? (other than the obvious OM7)?
bump.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2015, 05:24:49 PM »

bump.

See my previous recommendation for the Telefunken M80 (and M81).

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Craig Montgomery

« Reply #93 on: October 17, 2015, 12:41:51 AM »

58's are ok.  People say "gimme a 58" when they want a vocal mic the same way they say "gimme a Kleenex" when they need to wipe their nose.  But that's changing.

If you have some stage volume with drums and amps, you can make a pretty noticeable improvement by swapping out a stage full of 58's for something more modern, like an 835, 935, or M80.  Everything tightens up.  Monitors get easier, the FOH mix is cleaner because things aren't leaking into the vocal mics as much.

I don't stock 58's here because then people would make me use them.  Those who have to have them bring their own.  935 is the go-to vocal mic here.

www.thetripledoor.net
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:44:06 AM by Craig Montgomery »

Stan Shields

« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »

58's are ok.  People say "gimme a 58" when they want a vocal mic the same way they say "gimme a Kleenex" when they need to wipe their nose.  But that's changing.

If you have some stage volume with drums and amps, you can make a pretty noticeable improvement by swapping out a stage full of 58's for something more modern, like an 835, 935, or M80.  Everything tightens up.  Monitors get easier, the FOH mix is cleaner because things aren't leaking into the vocal mics as much.

I don't stock 58's here because then people would make me use them.  Those who have to have them bring their own.  935 is the go-to vocal mic here.

www.thetripledoor.net
Did a gig this weekend for a band with their own mics, I liked the 835 better than the 935, the 935 had an upper midrange harshness that I had to deal with, the 835 I left flat and it was great...

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #95 on: October 25, 2015, 06:53:49 PM »

www.thetripledoor.net

Exactly. All my 58s have been demoted to band rehearsal.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

Ron Roberts

« Reply #96 on: April 19, 2016, 11:16:46 PM »

I made a sticky for this, just like the "kick drum" thing.

Have at it.

Does anyone know anything about AKG D 8000M ?
Right now on guitarcenter they are $49 buy one get one free.....
for a budget rig - are they worth $25 ?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #97 on: April 25, 2016, 11:04:58 AM »

Does anyone know anything about AKG D 8000M ?
Right now on guitarcenter they are $49 buy one get one free.....
for a budget rig - are they worth $25 ?

They suck.  Don't waste your money.

Buy Shure SM-58 for vocals.  Period.  At the level of work you propose doing (in other threads) this is the industry standard.  There are arguably "better" mics for individual voices but almost every singer will be acceptable with a 58.  I own a couple dozen of the "better" mics but 95+% of the time the SM58 is the mic of choice.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

« Reply #98 on: April 25, 2016, 04:08:47 PM »

They suck.  Don't waste your money.

Buy Shure SM-58 for vocals.  Period.  At the level of work you propose doing (in other threads) this is the industry standard.  There are arguably "better" mics for individual voices but almost every singer will be acceptable with a 58.  I own a couple dozen of the "better" mics but 95+% of the time the SM58 is the mic of choice.

Yep. I recently tried some 835's which sound great for me personally, but went back to SM58's.

Joseph D. Macry

• Austin TX
« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

I once surprised the heck outta my A1 by putting a Senn MD421 on a deep-chested country singer.
This guy was a last-minute add as an opener, and A1 didn't want him using the Star's mic. "Go grab something dynamic outta the bag," he said. No Shures left, first dynamic I found was a Senn 421.  Put it on a stand and wired it, ran back to FOH.
"What the hell did you do that for?!" Well, too late, time to go.
But boy did this deep-voiced country crooner sound good through it. A1 asks, "How'd you set the bass roll-off?" Me: "Uh, I didn't."
Then A1 thought it was a stroke of genius. Me, I thought it was the only dynamic I could find.
Checked later, the roll-off was on "M" (least roll-off).
Joseph Macry,
Austin, TX

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #99 on: May 17, 2016, 04:17:21 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 19 queries.