ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124741 times)

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2015, 05:30:16 PM »

wipes are ok for the quick sani , unfortunately the foam screen inside is the breeding ground for more unpleasant deposits

"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:59 PM »

RE Health/Germs/Spit
I recently changed all the foam windscreens (that cover over the ball, not inside) for the mics we use in the band. I asked everybody what color they wanted and now each person has an assigned gig mic and (cheap) practice mic with their color. I consider it a good spit guard to be changed on a periodic basis.

Also at the same time I happened to be ordering some new mic cables (EWI Quad from Mike Pyle) So I ordered the color rings to match the mic color. Sometimes works to get them to hook up their own stuff to the PA.
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2015, 07:52:37 PM »

The simple fact is that if you are an audio provider, you'd better have at least a half-dozen SM-58s. Are there other mics? Absolutely, but you shouldn't buy any until after you've satisfied my first statement. I can't tell you how many times I've been ordered to strike my "fancy" vocal mics in favor of 58s.

Yup. A microphone is as much an instrument as is a guitar, and can definitely become a part of a performer's unique sound.

If a performer came on stage with a $600 run-of-the-mill guitar and you insisted that he use your $6000 premium guitar, how do you think that would turn out? Of course you woudn't do that; that's ludicrous.

Same goes for a microphone. If an artist asks for a run-of-the-mill SM58, use an SM58. A "better" microphone might make them sound "better" in your ears... but then it's no longer the same sound that they've built their reputation on.

(On the other hand, if the microphone they bring is a tinny, poorly isolated RatShack that is prone to feedback and next to impossible to bring into the mix, chances are they'll welcome a better microphone because they don't have a clue about the qualities of different microphones.)

The SM58-vs.-anything-else argument is very subjective. The SM58 is the gold standard because it represents high value for the price, and its properties are more well-known than any other microphone on the market. Are there other mics out there with a better value:price ratio? Possibly. Some of them may be cheaper. Some may be more expensive. But I can guarantee that none will be as well-known and trusted as the SM58. The people that know SM58 know its shortcomings, and they are able and willing to work with it. They may not be willing to work with the unknown (to them) shortcomings of anything else.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2015, 05:57:53 AM »

The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is that, unless you have fully parametric eqs on  all the inputs and outputs, it is easier to get 5-6 of the same (second best like sm58) mics to sound good in the monitors and mains than a collection of 5-6 different (fits my voice the best) mics.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2015, 05:58:29 AM »

The other thing that rarely gets mentioned is that, unless you have fully parametric eqs on  all the inputs and outputs, it is easier to get 5-6 of the same (second best like sm58 ) mics to sound good in the monitors and mains than a collection of 5-6 different (fits my voice the best) mics.

Jay Barracato

RyanWilliams

« Reply #85 on: October 03, 2015, 01:39:04 PM »

I made a sticky for this, just like the "kick drum" thing.

Have at it.

Within reason...No junk allowed, the one that the vocalist wanted to see.  It makes them comfortable, and they perform better.  Fix the rest with the channel strip and dynamics.

DavidTurner

« Reply #86 on: October 03, 2015, 02:10:01 PM »

Musicians still use Telecasters and Stratocasters and Les Pauls and D 28s etc. just because something was designed "generations ago" does not mean it is no longer relevant.

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #87 on: October 03, 2015, 02:13:24 PM »

Musicians still use Telecasters and Stratocasters and Les Pauls and D 28s etc. just because something was designed "generations ago" does not mean it is no longer relevant.
Much like the Neumann KM84 (ancient) vs. KM184. The KM84 is superb, while the KM184 is merely "pretty good". Old does not equal bad.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2015, 02:21:46 PM »

... just because something was designed "generations ago" does not mean it is no longer relevant.

Perhaps not the way you intended that comment, but, THANKS, you made my day  ;) .

As a vocalist, I've been using the Shure pencil mics with external A2WS windscreens since my first Unidyne III.  During one tour, though, I had to use an SM58 and chipped my front teeth a couple of times on the heavy wire mess ball.

Recent experimentation has led me to prefer the Telefunken M80.  Still a wire mess screen, but with a flat front. I'm hoping that provides sufficient clearance in the future.

As a sound provider, I assume SM58 for all vocals unless rider'd or requested otherwise.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Scott Wagner

• Richmond, VA
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »

Perhaps not the way you intended that comment, but, THANKS, you made my day  ;) .

As a vocalist, I've been using the Shure pencil mics with external A2WS windscreens since my first Unidyne III.  During one tour, though, I had to use an SM58 and chipped my front teeth a couple of times on the heavy wire mess ball.

Recent experimentation has led me to prefer the Telefunken M80.  Still a wire mess screen, but with a flat front. I'm hoping that provides sufficient clearance in the future.

As a sound provider, I assume SM58 for all vocals unless rider'd or requested otherwise.

Dave
Why don't you put a windscreen on the SM58 or M80 (I usually prefer the M81)? It seems like a cheaper solution than a dentist.
Scott Wagner
Big Nickel Audio

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2015, 02:30:31 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 24 queries.