ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124704 times)

Jeremi Roivas

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2014, 11:56:26 AM »

Never used an SM86, though after reading this thread, I think I'm going to go find one to try out.

I have been using SM86 for my home recording and now more recently started to sing with it in Karaoke gigs and I have to say go for it. I have wired version and it is stellar, rigged, like shure sm58 but better tone, more highs and clarity and still not that feedback problematic condenser mic. My audience seems to give nice aplodes when I sing, I dont know if it is my voice or the sm86 that sounds such nice. One very great feature for it is sensitivity, it seem pick up better ditance that sm58 and have no that much lowendish voice like sm58.

George Dougherty

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »

Over the years, I searched hard for anything better than Shure SMs.

I have tried most and have more than a few in my collection (ebay moment coming perhaps)

As I have grown over the years and own a rental house providing to national  and international acts as well as local stuff, I have returned to the 58 as being the main stay. It is easy to get loud, people expect it and it sounds OK.

There's the critical difference. Myself I'm not am huge fan of the heavier proximity on the 58.  Don't have any in my personal kit.   However, when I'm traveling with a band and looking for repeatablility; I can almost always be guaranteed to find SM58's in the mic pack.  Not having to worry much about gain and sound on any of the vocal channels frees me up to tackle just the instruments and DI's in terms of gains and EQ changes during sound check.

Steve Loewenthal

« Reply #52 on: December 07, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »

Last week did a mic test with our 4 band members using SM58, SM57, PV1, Telefunken M80. Ran mics into a closet where person sang the same phrase into each mic, while the other band members listened. Turns out that we preferred a different mic for each person. M80 was a 2nd choice for 2. (1st choice for myself.)
Steve Loewenthal

"I'm, just the guy in a band that owns the PA and I'm trying to figure out how it works. (Been trying to learn somethin' about it for about 20 years and I hope somethin' learns me soon)"

Michael Thompson

• Factor Audio
« Reply #53 on: December 26, 2014, 05:28:49 AM »

sm58 - my general go-to for people lacking microphone experience.  I find it very forgiving of placement.  It also works well for belters and female vocals.

beta58a - not my fave, but I find it can help softer male vocals cut through a mix and have louder wedges.

OM6 - I think these are great neutral mics, but sometimes they are too neutral and man you better be right on it.  I think the OM3 sounds better on females.

KSM9 - One of my favorites when I need something with some real hi end.

Telefunken m80 - still learning where I like this one.  I've only used it a few times so far.

Sennheiser 835 - I know some people think their great, but they just never did anything for me.

John L Nobile

« Reply #54 on: December 26, 2014, 10:41:11 AM »

We're all wireless here. Shure ULX-D with different capsules

4 KSM9's which I love. The leads use those
3 Beta 87C's which I really like. Backup and occasional leads
8 Crown CM 311's on bodypacks

I prefer Shure mics though I did get a chance to use a Neuman on a lady once. She sounded like an angel. I would probably buy one for myself if I ever started singing again.

The Crowns are great headsets but the build quality has gone downhill in the last few years. I always have a couple of spares on hand. I've yet to find a better cardioid headset. I'm very open to suggestions as the Crowns are expensive.

I really like Beta 58A's for wired. I always seem to work with good singers who give me good level and seem to know mic technique. New people get help with that from our "seasoned" performers and myself. It really makes life easier and cuts back on the amount of compression.

Stephen Kirby

« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2015, 07:52:23 PM »

For me, it depends on the singer.  A corporate band I played with and did sound for had three singers.  One woman had a very sharp voice that could cut like glass, and a huge head voice that didn't round off.  Out of what I have an Nd767a worked best.  The presence peak of an e835 just hit right where her edge was and would take your head off.  But the other woman singer had a round alto and the Senn worked wonderfully for her.  She bought her own when that band broke up and started using it with a latin jazz band that ended up with a Grammy last year.  So it can be a great match for bringing the right presence to a softer voice.  Or avoiding the bite where someone has an edge in their voice further up where a 58 would accent it.  The male singer in that group likes B58s for the air he hears on top.  Some singers are addicted to a crispiness or air and the Shure gives them that without being as sensitive to everything else on stage as a condenser.  One grew legs but I've got 3 left so I can usually run a front line of them in tight spaces.  I should snag one of those 3 packs of 835s some day for an alternative.  I've also found that the EV767 gives some chestyness to male singers who feel the need to sound "big".  I played with the Heil at an AES and really liked how neutral it was, but haven't had the need for fork over that level of cash for what I do.  A box full of SM58/57s and the Orange County Speaker GLS knock-offs rounds out the mic case.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2015, 06:37:09 AM »

...Turns out that we preferred a different mic for each person...

Bingo! Microphones are like shoes. They all sound different and they all fit different voices in different ways. Those who use the same mic for every voice are most likely missing out on a better "fit" sound wise.

There is no such thing as a bad sounding mic...only a mic that is being used for the wrong thing. I once had a low-budget kick drum mic that sounded horrible, no matter who's kick drum I put it into. I almost threw it into the trash bin until, one afternoon, I stuck it on a floor tom and WOW! That drum suddenly came to life and sounded absolutely gorgeous with that junk mic on there. Who knew?

If you have the time and the bands are willing to cooperate, keep swapping mics out until you find the right combinations. Once you do, you'll find it far easier to mix and you'll use much less EQ.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 06:49:13 AM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #57 on: August 12, 2015, 08:32:34 AM »

If you have the time and the bands are willing to cooperate, keep swapping mics out until you find the right combinations.

And if you don't have the time or cooperation, stick up 58's and get on with it!

Edit - f'n typos....

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #58 on: August 12, 2015, 04:09:38 PM »

And if you don't have the time or cooperation, stick up 58's and get on with it!

Edit - f'n typos....

May you have the joy of sound checking David Rawlings

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Jay Barracato

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »

Not likely. I'm not very fond of 58's. To me, they are over-glorified antiques. There might still be one in the bottom of my mic trunk that I haven't touched for years. I kept it just in case I need a hammer.   ;D
Member since 2005.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #59 on: August 12, 2015, 04:37:45 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.