ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 124765 times)

Bob Burke

• 90 dB
Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »

We usually use Beta 87A's (for the clarity in vocals), but I just picked up a pair of CAD 189 dynamics for $59 each.

http://www.hellomusic.com/items/d189-supercardioid-dynamic

Thought they would be a cheap backup for the 58's. Absolutely incredible live mic. Great GBF. Practically zero proximity effect, and a nice clear sound.

You're probably wondering how such a cheap mic can be that good. I'm still wondering that myself.  :D

I do not work for CAD, just a head's up.

Michael A. Yates

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »

I reckon I just like the Shure Betas. My rig for vocals includes:

4- Beta 87s
2- Beta 58s
2- Beta 57s

I also have
12- Beta 58 wireless units. LX & SLX   

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jason Raboin

• Klondike Sound
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2014, 11:27:35 AM »

I've gone through 6 different vocal mics with Baez over the past 12 years.  We started with a 58, which was fine.  I was doing monitors at the time and didn't have any issues.  It wasn't stellar but got the job done.

We got a new FOH engineer who wanted to use a KMS 105.  It sounded pretty good, but with a full band and a very quiet singer, often in acoustically challenging spaces, it was not the right choice. 

Once that engineer left, the next FOH engineer went the other direction completely choosing a Sennheiser E935.  It did nothing for me.  I had used them on other tours with "rock" bands, and got the appeal, but it wasn't for me. 

After that engineer left I took over FOH and went on the hunt for the right vocal mic.  I had done a Joe Walsh show with JD Brill mixing.  I liked the way the Beyer M700's sounded, so I bought up some NOS off Ebay.  I really like those mics, and used them for a couple of years, but the handling nose wasn't great, and I had little confidence that I could quickly get one repaired or replaced should something go wrong on the road.

Around the same time I purchased a Heil PR30.  I spoke into it in my studio and really liked what I heard, so I contacted Heil and asked if there was a handheld version in the works.  There was, and he sent me some beta models.  Several tweaks later I had the PR35, and have been using them wherever I can since.  This tour is the first where I've switched to the version 2, and like the improvements.

Other notable mentions are the Beta 58a, which I like for band situations, and the Beta 87C, which has worked very well with other vocalists I have worked with.  KSM9 are nice, and I want to try the DPA D Facto, but haven't had the chance.
Jason Raboin
Partner
Klondike Sound

Canute J. Chiverton

« Reply #43 on: April 06, 2014, 08:54:05 PM »

I use the Shure SM 58, the EV RE2 N/767 and believe it or not the Shure Super 55 Deluxe.  It has a great pickup and warm natural tone! It is also called the Elvis Mic.

I also found some $20.00 Mics that sound real close to the Shure SM 58s.  As a matter of fact some of my singers ask for it.  They are made by Trans Continental Studios. They look and feel just like the 58s.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 02:07:24 AM by Canute J. Chiverton »

jasonfinnigan

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2014, 01:58:35 PM »

Some of my favorites are:

SM85
SM87

Sennheiser e835

Audix OM6

Rode NT2
Rode NT1

I don't use the Audix OM6s to much though they seem to had a lot of handling noise in my limited experience of using them. I like the sound, but after they had handling noise they've mostly stayed in the mic case.

Jeff Foster

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2014, 02:19:32 PM »

My experiences somewhat echo what others have found.  I'm not a big fan of Shure mics.  At one time, that's all I used, but as I got exposure to other brands and models, my fondness for Shure disappeared.

My go to vocal mics nowadays are:
Sennheiser e835 - they're inexpensive and sound good on pretty much anything.
Audio-Technica AT2010 - as mentioned, this mic sounds fantastic for the money.  My biggest complaint is that it picks up everything else on stage so I only use it on quiet stages, but it sure sounds good when I use it.
Audio-Technica AE5400 - sounds slightly better than the AT2010 and has better pattern control.  This mic is not very forgiving though.  It will pick up every subtle vocal nuance, so if you're using it on a less than perfect vocalist, it will show them to be as such.

I also like the AE4100. It's a good all around mic, but it doesn't set itself apart enough to justify the added cost over something like an e835.  I've used the Audix OM5 and OM6, and while they sound fantastic on certain voices, I don't find them worth the cost just for those occasional voices.

Not a fan of the Beta58.  It just never sounds "right".  The Beta87's are okay - I wouldn't reject it if that's what someone provides, but I won't buy one for my collection.  Never used an SM86, though after reading this thread, I think I'm going to go find one to try out.

I simply can't stand the SM58.  Every time I have to use one, it feels like someone threw a heavy, wet blanket over the system.
Jeff Foster
Freelance system designer/installer

Jason Simonds

« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2014, 09:43:13 PM »

FWIW.... YMMV

I have been using an AKG C535EB Condensor mic for my vocals.. I have a moderately powerful bari/tenor voice. It has excellent rejection and hardly ever feeds back unless you aim it at a monitor, but this is with the on board switch kicking it -12db. I also used the 535 on a Sax last month and that was perfect...

As a back up I have a Wireless Shure with a Beta Capsule.. .but it is so flat in comparison to the AKG.... and of course there are SM58's in the bag as well as a couple of 57's

Pete Bansen

« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2014, 10:54:43 AM »

I have been using an AKG C535EB

I'm a big fan of the C535EB also - great sounding mic!  Have also used an E-V PL-80a lately and a couple of Heil PR-22's, which are very nice.

Simon Ryder

• Audio Engineer LTD
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2014, 08:54:12 AM »

Over the years, I searched hard for anything better than Shure SMs.

I have tried most and have more than a few in my collection (ebay moment coming perhaps)

As I have grown over the years and own a rental house providing to national  and international acts as well as local stuff, I have returned to the 58 as being the main stay. It is easy to get loud, people expect it and it sounds OK.

When I want something better, I use the KSM9 which is pretty phenomenal in all regards.

So my choice is:

KSM9 - all lead vocals (get louder in wedges than a KMS105, picks up a lot less stage wash and sounds NEARLY as good)

SM58 - because.
B58 - not really a favourite of mine but I do keep them in rental stock for people who ask. If you want less spill than a 58 and more GBF, then a B57 or KSM9 will work better. I like them on MCs and artists who insist on cupping the mic.
B57 - its OK and has its uses.
Senn e835 - alright, not on riders, goes out with the bar band packages.

Other vocal mics in inventory (many get used on instruments instead)

Beyer TGX80 - these are REALLY nice but on almost nobodies rider and so sit on the shelf.
Beyer M69 - mainly brass
Beyer M88 - 1 is kick drummed (and marked up) the others aren't
AKG D5 - really good, not on riders, so goes out with budget packages.
AKG C535 - I use it on almost anything but vocals - lovely mic
Neumann KMS105 - amazing on quiet stages but I generally find myself reaching for KSM9s
B87 - got rid of mine - the KSM9 blows them out of the water on every level

Rental Stockist of:
D&B Audiotechnik
DAS Audio
Soundcraft
Midas
Shure
Sennheiser
DPA

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

Tested a DPA D:Facto, sold all my other vocal mics, bought six DPAs.

Granted, I'm not doing rentals anymore, I just provide myself and some mics.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2014, 05:57:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.