ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Vocal microphones  (Read 126047 times)

Mark G. Hinge

Re: Vocal microphones
« Reply #170 on: November 11, 2021, 08:40:12 PM »

I play bass, provide/mix on-stage, presently a brand-new project still rehearsing.

Heil PR35 works best imho for my thin voice.

For one guy I provide a Sure WH30 condenser headset mic for when he's behind the keys, and an SM-58 on the stand (it's just what I have, and he thinks they're the standard).

SM58 also for the drummer who tries to sing some backups (I'm going to have to limit his vox to his own monitor).

Other guy is switching around with his own stuff for now, just pulled out his Sure 55... that didn't work in his past bands, but I guess he's going to give it another shot here, lol.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #171 on: November 12, 2021, 05:44:48 AM »

A pleasant surprise for me recently has been using a Sennheiser e965 for singing drummers. There's bleed there, of course, but it sounds good enough that you can use it to build the drum sound.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Craig Smith

« Reply #172 on: March 20, 2022, 06:51:53 PM »

Really liked the e965 with the people I've used it with, better than the Beta 87a.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #173 on: March 21, 2022, 04:53:57 AM »

My main go to that I use on events where I don’t know the vocalists in the Sennheiser e838. I find these have greater clarity, lower handling noise and less susceptible to feedback. They are a great workhorse mic that sounds great on most things!
For singers I know, I may reach for something like my Telefunken M80, Sennheiser e945 or Audio Technica ATM 710.

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #174 on: March 21, 2022, 02:53:31 PM »

Really liked the e965 with the people I've used it with, better than the Beta 87a.

I've been putting in a bit more time with the 965s on recent gigs, and have been consistently impressed:

- Set to super cardioid, there's just about enough side/rear rejection to get a quiet-ish singer 4" off the mic up to a decent level over a noisy stage. Just.
- As a general-purpose mic, they do really well. Saturday's gig was a St. Paddy's Day festival, and they got used for a range of vocalists, plus washboard, bodhran, bongo-cajon (yes, really), and some others I've probably forgotten.

Oh, and they work fine on cabs as well.

IMO, a small-but-welcome step up from the e935.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #175 on: September 15, 2022, 03:44:54 AM »

Has anyone ever tried singing into Sennheiser's e906 guitar cab mic. I tried one the other day on some other instruments and the results were not good, yet they're so good on guitar speakers? I wonder if they're any good for vocals?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #176 on: September 18, 2022, 03:19:45 AM »

Has anyone ever tried singing into Sennheiser's e906 guitar cab mic. I tried one the other day on some other instruments and the results were not good, yet they're so good on guitar speakers? I wonder if they're any good for vocals?

I like the e906 for brass,
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #177 on: September 18, 2022, 07:28:44 AM »

Back in the day Pink Floyd and the Doobie Brothers used the original 409 on vocals at one point.

Ken Braziel

« Reply #178 on: October 11, 2022, 02:05:22 AM »

Back in the day Pink Floyd and the Doobie Brothers used the original 409 on vocals at one point.

Stevie Ray Vaughan too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWjlUfLqKcc

JohnReeve

• Honkytonk Sound Guy who can travel.
« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2022, 03:12:57 AM »

For a while I was using one for vocals when playing with a blues band.  These were cheap speaker-on-a-stick bar gigs with no monitors, and I liked the pattern because it kept the drums out of the mic.  I think I used it for 20 or 30 gigs.  I really like to be able to move around on a mic, and so I went back to a 58.
See yall at Kerrville Folk Festival!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #179 on: October 16, 2022, 03:12:57 AM »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 24 queries.